Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ok the maths one was too easy, try this

On 04/12/2013 08:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

The 4 digit multiplication seemed utterly pointless other than to
test a small child. I did it with pen and paper

Both numbers had zero for the units, so the
answer would end in 00, which did not help a lot. The tens were 2 and 8.
2*8=16 Therefore the answer would have to end in 600, which eliminated
three of the four answers.

I also used the "look for a 6" method (along with a sanity check that
roughly 4 thousand squared is roughly 16 million) but they might have
fooled us both by having e.g. a multiple choice of 15,998,600 when the
correct answer would be none of the above.

I would probably taken more care had I actually been applying for a
university place, but that approach was good enough for my purposes, as
was thinking back to the last time I was in an aircraft at 38,000 feet,
on a clear day and remembering how far I could see, to guestimate the
horizon from the options offered.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

[...]

That works until they set the question on the moon.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

[...]

Would the vessel still be called an AIRcraft?

I wonder how many planets or moons are known to have humans flying
around in AIRcraft?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Dave Baker wrote:

[...]

If you can change the planet, you can change the transport, and who said
it was a human?

"a Quargon is orbiting his 9000G high gravity methane atmosphered planet
Quargin as bleaghship and an altitude of 47,000 zurds, how many miles
away is the horizon?"

A. He cant, Quargons sense the world by direct grokking and are unsighted.

B. 3 feet because the stingship doesn't have portholes.

C. right round the planet because the refractive index variation of
methane under a 9000G field and adiabatic temperature variations is
enough to make the horizon above the line of sight. Any Quarg can see
the whole planet firm anywhere except inside his house.

D. no answer, because the Quargons don't have a word for horizon.

Any good at maths? mogga UK diy 0 December 4th 13 01:56 PM
ok the maths one was too easy, try this Martin Brown UK diy 1 December 4th 13 01:25 PM
ok the maths one was too easy, try this Mentalguy2k8 UK diy 0 December 4th 13 01:17 PM
OT-Bad Maths? tim...... UK diy 8 April 30th 13 07:24 PM