Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Economy of 10 year old combi over new condensing boiler

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:37:51 +0000, Broadback wrote:

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Look up your old one and prospective new one(s) up on SEBUK:

http://www.boilers.org.uk

Unless the efficiency difference is 20% it's probably not worth it:

£2000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £200/year.
£1000/year gas bill, required saving of £200/year = 20% reduction.

£1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £100/year.
£500/year gas bill, required saving of £100/year = 20% reduction.

I doubt a 10 year old combi has an effciency less than 80%, our great
lump of cast iron oil boiler manages over 80%...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2013 12:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:37:51 +0000, Broadback wrote:

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Look up your old one and prospective new one(s) up on SEBUK:

http://www.boilers.org.uk

Unless the efficiency difference is 20% it's probably not worth it:

£2000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £200/year.
£1000/year gas bill, required saving of £200/year = 20% reduction.

£1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £100/year.
£500/year gas bill, required saving of £100/year = 20% reduction.

I doubt a 10 year old combi has an effciency less than 80%, our great
lump of cast iron oil boiler manages over 80%...

Many thanks Dave for your comprehensive answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

On 02/12/2013 12:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:37:51 +0000, Broadback wrote:

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Look up your old one and prospective new one(s) up on SEBUK:

http://www.boilers.org.uk

Unless the efficiency difference is 20% it's probably not worth it:

£2000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £200/year.
£1000/year gas bill, required saving of £200/year = 20% reduction.

£1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £100/year.
£500/year gas bill, required saving of £100/year = 20% reduction.

I doubt a 10 year old combi has an effciency less than 80%, our great
lump of cast iron oil boiler manages over 80%...

Many thanks Dave for your comprehensive answer.

Additionally, your old boiler has little to go wrong, and most of
the faults can be simply sorted. A new one is an order of
magnitude more complex, and you will end up having to call in
assistance.

If you actually pay for the annual service that is strongly
recommended, that is another chunk out of the savings.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:37:51 +0000, Broadback wrote:

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Look up your old one and prospective new one(s) up on SEBUK:

http://www.boilers.org.uk

Unless the efficiency difference is 20% it's probably not worth it:

£2000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £200/year.
£1000/year gas bill, required saving of £200/year = 20% reduction.

£1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £100/year.
£500/year gas bill, required saving of £100/year = 20% reduction.

You are assuming the price of gas will not continue to rise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 2, 2013 3:55:59 PM UTC, harry wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:37:51 +0000, Broadback wrote:
In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Look up your old one and prospective new one(s) up on SEBUK:
http://www.boilers.org.uk
Unless the efficiency difference is 20% it's probably not worth it:

�2000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = �200/year.
�1000/year gas bill, required saving of �200/year = 20% reduction.

�1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = �100/year.
�500/year gas bill, required saving of �100/year = 20% reduction.

You are assuming the price of gas will not continue to rise.

If it does, then you can switch to the new more efficient boiler then.
Given that boilers have finite lifetimes, switching too early has a
cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/12/2013 11:37, Broadback wrote:

In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Much depends...

First check what the efficiency of the the model you have is... that
will let you work out the difference in running costs.

Consider if there are other factors at play - for example an existing
boiler that is frequently going wrong, or likely to need replacement in
the near future anyway, alters the decision somewhat.

The sum changes again if you are happy to do all (or most) of the work
yourself - since that brings the price of a decent quality boiler down
to around £1k.

Factor if you need to borrow money to do it. If the money is currently
"savings" then given the return on most deposit accounts get these days,
even a 10% reduction in gas bill may represent a much better return on
your money than the less than inflation return the money is getting as
it is.

Alternatively you may well find there are lower hanging fruit to be had
elsewhere - say with with extra insulation - a 50% reduction in heat
loss beats a 20% increase in boiler efficiency.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 15:55:59 -0000, harryagain wrote:

£1000 for new boiler and install, 10 year life = £100/year.
£500/year gas bill, required saving of £100/year = 20% reduction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 December 2013 11:37:51 UTC, Broadback wrote:
In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

Hmmn..., I wonder where I fit in here. I have a normal (old style with lagged tank) boiler. Not had it serviced in the 12 years since I moved in.

That's got to be a grand in service cost savings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 2, 2013 11:37:51 AM UTC, Broadback wrote:
In other words is it economically viable to replace my combi?

If you are planning on selling your house and want to improve your Energy Efficiency Report, you can probably buy a new logo from Ebay to stick over the old boiler model number.

Owain