Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's in a bed?

Having a slack couple of days I have been visiting daughter, her husband +
GD.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double bed
& mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want £30 odd to collect.
Let's have a look says I. Remove all visible screws, castors & fittings.
Two bases with drawers. These drawers knock apart easily. Just a boot.
Straight in the bin.
Fabric strips off the bases very easily leaving wooden frames covered with
kapok type covering. This covering removed and kept for possible future use.
Frames knock apart easily with the use of hammer & boot. All stapled. Timber
will go through the fire in the next few months. Bases gone. Surprised to
find that much of the frames was decent hardwood, oak/ash/beech.
Mattress. A very different kettle of fish. Outer covering stripped easily &
binned. Left with sprung interior covered by a horsehair or coir [1]
exterior which is quite securely stapled to the springs. With use of snips
and brute force this is removed.
Had a good look at the remains. A stainless steel structure of innumerable
springs. A very intricate making. Angle grinder soon put this to bed, never
leave home without one.
Job took about 1/2 hr and was interesting. All disposed of in two wheelie
bins.
Finally gets to the point:
[1] the horsehair or coir covering is decent and very strong. Would this be
of use to anyone or should it just be binned? Upholsterers etc. I hate
wasting anything.
Thanks,
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, November 29, 2013 6:37:30 PM UTC, Nick wrote:
[1] the horsehair or coir covering is decent and very strong. Would this be
of use to anyone or should it just be binned?

Fold it into layers, insert into cushion or duvet cover and use for dog bed.

Use as dampening in loudspeaker enclosures.

Weed control or plant frost protection in the garden.

Coffin lining to absorb 'leakage'.

Wadding layer for oven gloves if sufficiently flexible.

Pipe or cylinder insulation.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nice tale. Round our way people have seen how scrap metal items get taken
by the "travellers" and expect other stuff for go in the same way.
Sometimes it does - sometimes it doesn't. I suspect that when it does go
then it will end up in a country lane not far away.
I like the challenge of getting stuff into the wheelie bin. Have managed a
dishwasher and a Micra tailgate recently.
Some people can't even get large cardboard boxes into theirs.

--

DerbyBorn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
Having a slack couple of days I have been visiting daughter, her husband +
GD.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double
bed & mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want £30 odd to collect.
Let's have a look says I. Remove all visible screws, castors & fittings.
Two bases with drawers. These drawers knock apart easily. Just a boot.
Straight in the bin.

I've twice disposed of a redundant sofa (not the same one!) by dismantling
it

Apart from the solid foam seats and back (which are useful to keep in any
case) the rest is a surprisingly small amount of stuff, which will fit in
your dustbin

Now, why are they so expensive?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:02:17 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I like the challenge of getting stuff into the wheelie bin. Have managed
a dishwasher and a Micra tailgate recently.

Two sofas, an arm chair or two and a single divan or at least the
coverings and springs. Any proper timber went to the fire, chipboard
joined the covers etc.

Some people can't even get large cardboard boxes into theirs.

OP's SiL that couldn't dismantle a bed? ... sorry

But yes the times you see a carboard box next to the bags that hasn't
even been flattened. Others don't flatten cans before puting them out
for recycling, then moan the box isn't big enough. How do these
people manage to survive?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote:
[...]

You have wasted a lot of nice straight pieces of spring steel wire to
make things out of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

If actual coir/horsehair, compost as last resort.
Doesn't have much initiative your SIL?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:43:53 AM UTC, F Murtz wrote:
Nick wrote:

[...]

try freecycle, freegle et al

You have wasted a lot of nice straight pieces of spring steel wire to
make things out of.

How do you straighten it when its springy?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nick" wrote in message
Having a slack couple of days I have been visiting daughter, her husband +
GD.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double
bed & mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want £30 odd to collect.

A box of matches only costs about 10p

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"Nick" wrote in message
Having a slack couple of days I have been visiting daughter, her husband
+ GD.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double
bed & mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want £30 odd to collect.

A box of matches only costs about 10p

--
Adam

'OW MUCH?
Prefer a zippo mesel. If it would burn, which is unlikely, there would still
be a heap of crap to clear. Probably more than at the outset.
And just think about globular warning or climatic charges or wotever the
boffs call it nowadays.
Shame on you Mr. Wadsworth. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
[...]

Product of modern education. Several degrees and a doctorate. He's a good
lad and I think he can now manage shoelaces. Would def. struggle with a bow
tie unless it was clip on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 19:02:17 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

I like the challenge of getting stuff into the wheelie bin. Have managed
a dishwasher and a Micra tailgate recently.

Two sofas, an arm chair or two and a single divan or at least the
coverings and springs. Any proper timber went to the fire, chipboard
joined the covers etc.

Some people can't even get large cardboard boxes into theirs.

OP's SiL that couldn't dismantle a bed? ... sorry

snip
Please see reply to harry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:05:50 PM UTC, wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double
bed & mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want �30 odd to collect.

A box of matches only costs about 10p

You'd still be left with most of it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Nick" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
"Nick" wrote in message
Having a slack couple of days I have been visiting daughter, her husband
+ GD.
Thoroughly enjoyable. Sitting in the garden I notice a redundant double
bed & mattress.
Son in law Tim can't get it to the tip. Council want £30 odd to collect.

A box of matches only costs about 10p

--
Adam

'OW MUCH?
Prefer a zippo mesel. If it would burn, which is unlikely, there would
still be a heap of crap to clear. Probably more than at the outset.
And just think about globular warning or climatic charges or wotever the
boffs call it nowadays.
Shame on you Mr. Wadsworth. )

Of course it will burn. You just never tried it:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:01:07 +0000 (GMT) Dave Liquorice wrote :
Not taken a matress apart? There straight bits of hefty wire
that join the springs together.

I spent a few months here working in an op (charity) shop. We got
given a couple of bed bases that looked as if they'd come from a
1950s barracks - wire mesh mattress base tensioned by big springs.
I undid the wrong bolt, releasing the tension in one go and nearly
lost a finger; the scar is still there.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:44:53 +0000, ss wrote:

My best to date is over a ton of rubble and a small wall..... a couple
of carrier bags and a couple of bricks every fortnight cleared it over
winter.

Interesting.
A bloke I worked with did it the other way around. Where we worked,
there was construction going on over the longer term and there was a
big pile of gravel - he took several pounds of it home every night, in
a carrier bag. Over the year, he gravelled the path around his house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:44:53 +0000, ss wrote:

My best to date is over a ton of rubble and a small wall..... a couple
of carrier bags and a couple of bricks every fortnight cleared it over
winter.

Interesting.
A bloke I worked with did it the other way around. Where we worked,
there was construction going on over the longer term and there was a
big pile of gravel - he took several pounds of it home every night, in
a carrier bag. Over the year, he gravelled the path around his house.

My FIL used to be an Air Traffic Controller (now retired). Early on in
his career (late 50's/ear;y 60's) he was working in Wales (Cardiff maybe
- they lived in Bridgend)He dug a load of clay out of their back garden
(a few tonnes worth IIRC) .He used to take a couple of bags to the
airport in the boot of the car and distribute it there in the more
remote areas
--
Chris French