Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing Television.

Below is a copy of a message sent to LG does anyone here have any ideas?

No surge in power was observed, TV was working as normal then it
was switched off when going out, now will not power No red
light, no flashing blue light, nothing.

Have checked the socket is delivering 240 Volts (actually
slightly over)
The mains switch underneath is definitely on
There are no obvious blown caps on the power supply board
Both fuses on the power supply board seem intact (they both
conduct current ).

Whilst it was powered up power could be detected at the plug
going into the power supply board (243V) so the "kettle lead"
the mains socket and the TV power in socket are all working.

Apart from the switch underneath is there any power reset
switch as the TV doesn't not power on properly it doesn't power
on at all?

Is there anything else I could reasonably check or is it new TV
time, TV was only manufactured in November 2009? I do not
fancy spending £100 repairing a £200 TV.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
[...]

Ooops :-
TV is an LG 32LH5000

Also posted to uk.tech.digital.tv
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup explained on 26/11/2013 :
Ooops :-
TV is an LG 32LH5000

Also posted to uk.tech.digital.tv

The most likely cause is a failed capacitor in the PSU, the trick is in
carefully examining each one in turn and replacing the failed item.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2013 19:22, soup wrote:
soup wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a PSU problem. There may be additional surface mount fuses
that have gone.

Not a specific answer, but the following is a very good youtube channel
for TV repair tips:

http://www.youtube.com/user/norcal715

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:16:13 PM UTC, soup wrote:

No surge in power was observed, TV was working as normal then it
was switched off when going out, now will not power No red
light, no flashing blue light, nothing.
Have checked the socket is delivering 240 Volts (actually
slightly over)
The mains switch underneath is definitely on
There are no obvious blown caps on the power supply board
Both fuses on the power supply board seem intact (they both
conduct current ).
Whilst it was powered up power could be detected at the plug
going into the power supply board (243V) so the "kettle lead"
the mains socket and the TV power in socket are all working.

'No user serviceable parts inside.' Most likely a bad electrolytic capacitor in the power supply, or a few of. If eyeballling them doesnt reveal the baduns, get yourself a £12 ESR meter and test em

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

However, it usually pays to replace them all at the same time. I'm not so
sure in this case though. One needs to know how the psu works and whether it
has some kind of self shutdown process or just trashes the semiconductors
when a falt occurs.
Brian

Email:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
soup explained on 26/11/2013 :
Ooops :-
TV is an LG 32LH5000

Also posted to uk.tech.digital.tv

The most likely cause is a failed capacitor in the PSU, the trick is in
carefully examining each one in turn and replacing the failed item.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :
However, it usually pays to replace them all at the same time. I'm not so
sure in this case though. One needs to know how the psu works and whether it
has some kind of self shutdown process or just trashes the semiconductors
when a falt occurs.
Brian

Agreed! I vaguely remember it was so common on some of the LG's that
somebody started offering a kit of parts on ebay to replace them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article ,
scribeth thus
Most likely a bad electrolytic capacitor in
the power supply, or a few of. If eyeballling them doesnt reveal the
baduns, get
yourself a £12 ESR meter and test em

NT

Very probable cause of the problem, 'tho unless you have a meter it does
mean changing them till you find the right one or ones..

When I tried changing them one at a time in a laptop psu, I had a big
problem acquiring ones of the right size and at the 2nd "Is it this
one?" there was a bang, and I gave up.

I think I'd buy the meter if there ever was a next time.
--
Bill

Television soup UK diy 1 September 10th 09 06:54 PM
television add [email protected] Electronics 0 December 11th 07 03:07 PM
television add [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 11th 07 10:59 AM
Discharging a television tube (and other parts) prior to repairing the set DavidK Electronics Repair 5 July 14th 07 05:56 PM
television mark Electronics Repair 8 October 21st 06 07:05 PM