Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3D pictures for blind people

I can't find where I mentioned this before, but you all ignored my comment.
Now someone has invented my idea:
http://tangible.media.mit.edu/project/inform/

A picture can be shown as a 3D object, sort of like Braille.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
I can't find where I mentioned this before, but you all ignored my comment.
Now someone has invented my idea:
http://tangible.media.mit.edu/project/inform/

A picture can be shown as a 3D object, sort of like Braille.

Um, a "picture" is generally 2D so I'm not sure that this will aid blind
folk. 3D objects can be appreciated by the blind without having to be
rendered digitally first.

It's intriguing, but I think it's still at the "solution looking for a
problem" stage.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I don't know about that. After all, we do not all read braille very
well.
I don't recall your original post.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Matty F" wrote in message
I can't find where I mentioned this before, but you all ignored my comment.
Now someone has invented my idea:
http://tangible.media.mit.edu/project/inform/

A picture can be shown as a 3D object, sort of like Braille.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F wrote:
I can't find where I mentioned this before, but you all ignored my comment.
Now someone has invented my idea:
http://tangible.media.mit.edu/project/inform/

A picture can be shown as a 3D object, sort of like Braille.

A device for reading text using vibrating pins was made long ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optacon

I saw (and tried) one in the 1970s.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:30:27 AM UTC+13, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I don't know about that. After all, we do not all read braille very
well.

I was thinking that if a photo of a person's face should be shown as 3D, a completely blind person could get some idea of what the face looked like.
I think the original picture should be a 3D one, i.e. two pictures taken some distance apart.