Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing recessed spotlights

Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights which I
reckon were fitted about twenty years ago though I have lived in my flat for
only the past four years. I have renewed the lamps from time with Homebase
R80 100watts spotlights. One of these lamps, which I had never needed to
replace, burned out recently but when I replaced it the new lamp did not
illuminate.

I was able, after a bit of a struggle, to remove the fitting from the
ceiling and it bore a label stating "Ring-Lighting Art No. 50480 240 V Max
100W". While removing the fitting I handled the bulb housing, which is
riveted in place, and the plastic/bakelite crumbled to my touch.

I searched in vain online to find a replacement then visited Litecraft at
their Glasgow Showroom. There I was told that they stock nothing of this
type of fitting nowadays.

I realise I am going to have to replace all four fittings, but not
necessarily with spotlights as hitherto. So, I shall be left initially with
four holes in the ceiling about 11 centimetres in diameter and am left
scratching my head as to how this can be best achieved.

Possibilities which have crossed my mind are :-

a) To get discs of the same diameter cut from ceiling board and to use a
strong adhesive to fill the holes, having first drilled them at their centre
for the power wires.

b) To get wooden disks (also drilled in the centre) fixed with strong
adhesive and marginally larger in diameter than the holes.

c) To fix plastic roses, though I have been unable to locate anything
large enough for my purpose.

It would then be my intention to hang shaded lights or up-lighters.

I know from visiting this newsgroups for a long time that there is a lot of
expertise to be tapped and I shall be grateful for any suggestions or advice
anyone can offer.

Alaric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, November 11, 2013 4:01:45 PM UTC, Alaric wrote:
Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights ...
R80 100watts spotlights.

This sort? 100mm mounting hole
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QMDL80W.html

Or eyeball style with 140mm hole
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QMEB80W.html

Also available in Brass and Chrome finishes.

You can get ready made converter rings to cover the hole if you change to halogen or LED

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLHCW.html

Also a selection here
http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/ceil...ed-downlights/

Owain

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 4:01:45 PM UTC, Alaric wrote:
Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights ...
R80 100watts spotlights.

This sort? 100mm mounting hole
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QMDL80W.html

That looks like an inverted can, which would rule out running any type
of energy saving retrofit lamp in that fitting, as it would overheat.

If you find one with an open rear, I would recommend the GE Genura
as a compact fluorescent replacement for 100W filament R80's.
The GE Genura is a long life fluorescent (as it has no electrodes
towear out), and actually has a higher light output than the 100W
R80 it replaces. They are damn expensive though, but still much
cheaper if you work out the saving over even part of the lamp's
rated life. They are floodlamps (very wide angle), not spotlamps.
Life depends on temperature, which is why you want an open-rear
fitting so it runs as cool as possible.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know Ring themselves got taken over then the whole lot went belly up, so
unless anyone has bought them, I suspect that avenue is closed now. I have
some of their low voltage garden lights I need spare globes for.. sigh.
Brian

Email:

"Alaric" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, November 11, 2013 4:01:45 PM UTC, Alaric wrote:
Recessed into the false ceiling in my kitchen are four spotlights ...
R80 100watts spotlights.

This sort? 100mm mounting hole
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QMDL80W.html

Or eyeball style with 140mm hole
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QMEB80W.html

Also available in Brass and Chrome finishes.

You can get ready made converter rings to cover the hole if you change to
halogen or LED

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLHCW.html

Also a selection here
http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/ceil...ed-downlights/

Owain

I need good general lighting in the kitchen (not spots), so I fitted six
eyeball downlights (the ones intended for R63 reflector lamps) but
fitted instead with Philips 33W E27WW 827 lamps, thus allowing
space around the lamp for cooling air to flow up through the fitting.
Each of these lamps gives out 2250 lumens !
The Philips lamps are pricey but my six have lasted for 4 years
without a failure so far.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alaric" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thank you to all who responded. The information obtained, particularly from
Owain, was most helpful.

Alaric.

LED Spotlights Adrian Brentnall[_2_] UK diy 23 May 28th 12 08:01 PM
Recessed spotlights Bruce Hall UK diy 5 August 6th 10 09:10 AM
Replacing non-IC recessed lights [email protected] Home Repair 12 August 30th 08 05:37 PM
Outside spotlights Chris UK diy 2 October 9th 06 08:27 PM
spotlights - how many? Mark Downey UK diy 34 July 12th 05 05:05 PM