Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDF Freeeeze & NPower

Had a flyer with the post this morning from EDF pushing their new
Blue + Price Freeeeze Mar 2017 tariff. No real information at all on
the flyer like the standing charge or per unit cost. Wander off to
website can't find it their either. Ask for a quote, offers a
different tariff but no saving, the Freeeeze tariff is also list but
still no real price information. More digging eventually find a .pdf
with the actual pricing information. WTF do marketing make it so
sodding hard to get real pricing information?

Up shot is for the NW region they want 14.44p/kWHr and £65.70/year
standing charge. Not competitive overall against the current NPower
(15.06p/kWHr £36.50/year £45.00/year DD discount, variable) or
iSupply Energy (11.143p/kWHr, £76.48/year, fixed 'till May 14). OK
that EDF 14.44 is frozen 'till Mar 17 (41 months) but if normal
prices don't catch up for a year you still need an equal rise the
next year to make up the "loss", leaving just a year to make a
"saving". Greatly simplified and gross assumptions.

I'm already with EDF for E7 fixed 'till Feb 15 @ 16.08p/kWHr day,
6.02p/kWHr night. The Freeeeze prices are 18.2/6.82. So for about
half the Freeeeze period I would pay about £430 more at our usage.
Just to break even the normal price half way through would have to be
over 20.32p/kWHr or a 26% rise in 16 months...

The NPower tarrif is about to change to 14.95p/kWHr no standing
charge no DD discount. Which is less than the last tariff I had for
Ebico Equipower at 15.67p/kWHr, Equipower was the only tariff I knew
of that truly had no standing charge, excellent for low users.

(all prices ex VAT and for NW region).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

I looked at the EDF flyer too, as we are coming to the end of a two year fix
with SSE, and their 8% hike was unwelcome news. The 3.5 year EDF fix looked
initially good, but a rough calc (for us anyway) came out as needing upward
of 8% each year for the next four years for it to be a winner - which I
though seemed too expensive, and was going to cost an extra £200 per year
initially over our current bills.

However, EDF also have an 18 month fix to Mar2015 which is better priced,
and is about the same cost as our current SSE fix, so I've jumped ship to
that. It has no exit penalty, and I will look out for a longer fix from
summer next year.

A useful site for getting sensible info on actual rates is
http://www.guardianenergycomparison.co.uk
which doesn't want you to register, allows sensible sorting of tariffs, and
gives you a rundown on each tariff under a "more info" tab.

Charles F

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2013 05:50, Charles F wrote:

I'm already with EDF for E7 fixed 'till Feb 15 @ 16.08p/kWHr day,
6.02p/kWHr night. The Freeeeze prices are 18.2/6.82. So for about
half the Freeeeze period I would pay about £430 more at our usage.
Just to break even the normal price half way through would have to be
over 20.32p/kWHr or a 26% rise in 16 months...

With a daytime tariff like that you could save loads if you had some
solar PV.

My daytime tariff is 12.4p inc vat and I don't use much at night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:45:09 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I'm already with EDF for E7 fixed 'till Feb 15 @ 16.08p/kWHr day,
6.02p/kWHr night.

With a daytime tariff like that you could save loads if you had some
solar PV.

My daytime tariff is 12.4p inc vat and I don't use much at night.

That is E7, our average annual use is 9 kWHr/day at day rates and 39
kWHr/day at night rates(*). Winter will see the night rate use rise
to not far short of 60 kWHr/day. Solar PV is **** all use at night...

A few months back I could have got 12.157/6.232 E7 fixed Sep 14 but
with 80/year standing charge against 65.70. On our usage the overall
difference was 24p/month but with a 6 month shorter fixed period.

The Normal tariffs I have are 15.06 low use and low standing charge
and DD discount (soon to lose the standing charge and DD discount and
fall in price to 14.95) or 11.143 with 76.48 standing charge (15
units/day).

The standing charges and DD discounts seem to be the new battle
ground between tariffs. Another normal tarrif I could have got a few
months back was 10.82 kWHr but a whopping £155.13/year standing
charge, £40 DD discount. Crap for low use. "Low use being" 29
units/day to even start matching the 11.143+76.48 no DD discount
tariff. To make a £1/month saving in the bill you'd have to use at
least 43 kWHr/day!

(*) The time switch is fubar, "night rate" is currently about 2045 to
0415.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
Solar PV is **** all use at night...

Hence it is known as daylight robbery.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 10:57:07 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

my night rate runs from 1:30am to 8:30am it will go back an hour when the clocks change.
I wonder why there are differnt times for 'night' I could understand it if the country crossed a time zone but...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 05:20:06 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

(*) The time switch is fubar, "night rate" is currently about 2045

0415.

my night rate runs from 1:30am to 8:30am it will go back an hour when
the clocks change. I wonder why there are differnt times for 'night' I
could understand it if the country crossed a time zone but...

As I said the time switch is fubar. It's a mechnical one and stops
when there is no incoming power. We are due a couple more maintenace
periods in a week or two by the time they are over I expect our
"night" rate period will be nearer 1400 - 2130.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my night rate runs from 1:30am to 8:30am it will go back an hour when the clocks change.
I wonder why there are differnt times for 'night' I could understand it if the country crossed a time zone but...

ISTR they are quite deliberately staggered to make it easier for
National Grid and the Generators to manage the load
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/14/2013 11:11 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Had a flyer with the post this morning from EDF pushing their new
Blue + Price Freeeeze Mar 2017 tariff. No real information at all on
the flyer like the standing charge or per unit cost. Wander off to
website can't find it their either. Ask for a quote, offers a
different tariff but no saving, the Freeeeze tariff is also list but
still no real price information. More digging eventually find a .pdf
with the actual pricing information. WTF do marketing make it so
sodding hard to get real pricing information?

I read on another forum that Pioneer energy 2 year fix was good value.
Went to the site and you have to enrol before you can get any
information. Email them to ask them what their rates are, no reply.
If a company can't be up front about their rates, I can't be bothered.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On 10/14/2013 11:11 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Had a flyer with the post this morning from EDF pushing their new
Blue + Price Freeeeze Mar 2017 tariff. No real information at all on
the flyer like the standing charge or per unit cost. Wander off to
website can't find it their either. Ask for a quote, offers a
different tariff but no saving, the Freeeeze tariff is also list but
still no real price information. More digging eventually find a .pdf
with the actual pricing information. WTF do marketing make it so
sodding hard to get real pricing information?

I read on another forum that Pioneer energy 2 year fix was good value.
Went to the site and you have to enrol before you can get any information.
Email them to ask them what their rates are, no reply.
If a company can't be up front about their rates, I can't be bothered.

Andy C

I enrolled and could see the prices but didn't do a deal. Instead moved
from E.ON back to Scottish Power - fixed for 1 year.