Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flier from CPC

Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

Am I missing something?

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:47:51 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA

6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM

£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

Am I missing something?

--

*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

So if the data transfer rate is 6Gb/s - what is their capacity?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil wrote:
On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:47:51 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my
eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives
FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.
Am I missing something?

So if the data transfer rate is 6Gb/s - what is their capacity?

Ah - so that's what it refers to.

BTW, what on earth is your newsreader? It seems seriously broken.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Phil wrote:
On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 2:47:51 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my
eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives
FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.
Am I missing something?

So if the data transfer rate is 6Gb/s - what is their capacity?

Ah - so that's what it refers to.

BTW, what on earth is your newsreader? It seems seriously broken.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

Am I missing something?

It seems to be the going rate. EBuyer do it for £49.98 inc VAT.

It's SATA III so you won't get 6Gb unless your motherboard supports it.

Another Dave

£47.84 at www.cclonline.com

£47.84 at www.cclonline.com

My supplier is always 15% more than the cheapest. OTOH he has never
failed to take back something shagged but under guraantee without
quibbling, and the last hard disk replacement came with free
installation and testing..

£47.84 at www.cclonline.com

My supplier is always 15% more than the cheapest. OTOH he has never
failed to take back something shagged but under guraantee without
quibbling, and the last hard disk replacement came with free
installation and testing..

You use ebuyer too?
Maybe not as they only satisfy the always replace it without quibble clause.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

6Gb/s

thats the data transfer rate

Thats what a seagate barracuda on SATA does these days if the computer
can handle it.

Am I missing something?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.
Is two and raid the answer still?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Am looking for a new HD or two for my desktop, and this caught my eye:-

Desktop 3.5" SATA
6Gb/s Hard Drives

FROM
£42.95 (£51.54 inc VAT)

http://bit.ly/GzEPz3

And yes, it does appear to be 6Gb.

Am I missing something?

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.
Is two and raid the answer still?

RAID isn't backup...

but yeah, two drives mirrored helps protect against disk failure. Beware
exotic controllers though - if that goes pop you have two drives you can't
access. Not sure how much of an issue that is these days.

Ideally you would be able to just use either drive if you suffer a failure.

If possible, raid and then backup to a 3rd drive that's offline (or even
better, offsite)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.
Is two and raid the answer still?

RAID isn't a backup, if one gets corrupted or accidentally deleted the
other immediately follows suit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2013 20:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.
Is two and raid the answer still?

Brian

That has never been the answer.

What happens when the PSU blows both up, or someone steals it or you
drop it on the floor or have a flood or a fire.

As a backup strategy raid is cr@p.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/13 20:20, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.

well forme, its a networked srver, and I simply mirror one disk to the
other using rsync, which only backs up the days changes, under CRON
takes about ten minutes at 5 a.m.

Is two and raid the answer still?

RAID is avialability, not backup.
Ideally backup should be on a different machine at a different location.

Brian

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 20:20:56 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back
them up and how long does it take.

Now calculate the average unrecoverable error probability by the capacity
of the drive... It gets horribly close to one.

RAID's very nice. Until the controller goes titsup.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-10-01, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 20:20:56 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back
them up and how long does it take.

Now calculate the average unrecoverable error probability by the capacity
of the drive... It gets horribly close to one.

RAID's very nice. Until the controller goes titsup.

Which is why I prefer software RAID.

So you prefer a solution where other drivers and even application
software can make it go tits up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I'm getting worried about these big drives, where the heck do you back them
up and how long does it take.

In my case I backup to an external drive (when I get a roundtuit it will
become a small NAS an live elsewhere on the network) and online with
Crashplan.

Intial backups may take sometime (esp. online with slow upload speeds),
but after that only new data is backed up (I've no idea how long it
takes, as it all happens automatically)
--
Chris French