Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Ivy - the spawn of the devil?

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 23:38:56 +0100
GB wrote:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is
growing over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts
as to the advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Remove all of it.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

If it's not destroying any brickwork or undermining the mortar it's your
call, but regular attending to is essential to prevent it going mad

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/ivy.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/13 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

cut it off oin the maiin stems below the level you want. Above that it
does and then can be pulled away later with minimal damage.

Personaally I think its massively destructive.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 September 2013 06:52:55 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 28/09/13 23:38, GB wrote:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite

picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing

over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the

advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

cut it off oin the maiin stems below the level you want. Above that it

does and then can be pulled away later with minimal damage.

Personaally I think its massively destructive.

--

Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

...........and it will fill your upstairs rooms with creepie crawlies. If you like the look get a creeper instead

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house,
Any advice?

Kill it!

Friends of mine bought a property at auction that hadn't been lived-in
for 25+ years, although the grounds had been maintained for all that
time, nobody thought to do anything about the ivy that eventualy reached
the top of the chimneys ... it took a lot of clearing!

http://goo.gl/maps/XtnWT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 28 September 2013 23:38 GB wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

It's gotto me "managed", usually once a year, brutually.

Round here, you often see a pro up a ladder for 1-2 days under the pay of
the owner dealing with the "whole wall" ivy.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite picturesque.
However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing over the window
panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the advisability of
letting it rampage.

Any advice?

It needs to go.
If it gets on the roof it will lift slates/tiles, possibly breaking them.

Cut the main "trunk" and poison the root with Roundup.
You will have to pull the stuff strand by strand off the wall.
Start at the top
There will likely be some damage when you do this.
Depends on howcareful you are and the condition of the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday 29 September 2013 08:41 Andy Burns wrote in uk.d-i-y:

GB wrote:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house,
Any advice?

Kill it!

Friends of mine bought a property at auction that hadn't been lived-in
for 25+ years, although the grounds had been maintained for all that
time, nobody thought to do anything about the ivy that eventualy reached
the top of the chimneys ... it took a lot of clearing!

http://goo.gl/maps/XtnWT

Don't overlook thta if it is not causing damage to the wall then it is
adding a layer of isulation (stilled air) and is also offering rain
shielding of the wall.

Some wall types can be damaged badly by ivy - but for those that aren't,
there are benefits.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2013 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Cut the stems at ground level and let it die off before removing. The
sooner you do it the less damage to your property.

Plant a Russian Vine instead - pretty white flowers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2013 09:28, alan wrote:
On 28/09/2013 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Cut the stems at ground level and let it die off before removing. The
sooner you do it the less damage to your property.

Plant a Russian Vine instead - pretty white flowers

I removed an ivy from a Victorian brick wall some years ago. The only
problem was that it had got under the roof slates, but damage to the
yellow bricks was minimal, and the roots were easy to dig out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just don't dump it outside the back gate of my house as someone local to me
seems to have done..grin.
What is the outside surface of the wall finished in? Ivy can bore holes in
most things over time and blow render quite successfully.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"GB" wrote in message
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite picturesque.
However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing over the window
panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the advisability of
letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nthkentman
writes
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

If it's not destroying any brickwork or undermining the mortar it's
your call, but regular attending to is essential to prevent it going mad

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/ivy.html

That's a very informative link.

I had a lot of ivy on my house, and although not as spectacular as the
Street View example, had invaded the roof and the loft. I removed most
of it, and now have only a small patch, which I keep strictly under
control.

I've also got some Virginia Creeper, which although equally invasive, is
easily pulled away from the wall.

As http://www.whatprice.co.uk/gardening/ivy.html also says, ivy can
seriously damage trees. There was massive (60'?) ash tree just outside
the end of my back garden, with quite a lot of ivy growing up it. I
suddenly noticed that its leaves were beginning to shrivel, while those
on an adjacent, mainly ivy-free ash were OK. On investigation, I found
that the ivy stems had got under the bark, and lifted it around the
whole of the circumference of the trunk, effectively ring-barking it.
Since then, I have made sure that the same fate does not befall its now
solitary neighbour.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2013 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

It needs to be controlled, otherwise it can block gutters and may
provide a path for mice to reach the upper floor.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/09/2013 11:03, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/09/2013 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

It needs to be controlled, otherwise it can block gutters and may
provide a path for mice to reach the upper floor.

Thanks all.

It's brickwork, and I don't think there's much damage done yet, but I'll
cut it back really, really drastically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sun, 29 Sep 2013 09:28:49 +0100, alan
wrote:

On 28/09/2013 23:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Cut the stems at ground level and let it die off before removing. The
sooner you do it the less damage to your property.

Plant a Russian Vine instead - pretty white flowers

Whatever else you do, DON'T plant a Russian Vine. It's infinitely
worse than mere ivy! Another name for them is 'mile a minute', which
should tell you something. It's very fast growing and highly invasive.
It's a member of the knotweed family (botanical name Fallopia
baldschuanica), and related to Japanese knotweed (botanical name
Fallopia japonica).

+1. My neighbour has it, and doesn't bother much about keeping it in
check (certainly not on my side of the fence).
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is
growing over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts
as to the advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Plant a Russian Vine instead - pretty white flowers

Whatever else you do, DON'T plant a Russian Vine.

Spoil sport!
http://admac.myzen.co.uk/vine/
The white flowers at the top of the tree are Russian Vine. It's one
year's growth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/13 08:55, harryagain wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite picturesque.
However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing over the window
panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the advisability of
letting it rampage.

Any advice?

It needs to go.
If it gets on the roof it will lift slates/tiles, possibly breaking them.

Cut the main "trunk" and poison the root with Roundup.
You will have to pull the stuff strand by strand off the wall.
Start at the top
There will likely be some damage when you do this.

if you leave it to die, it does a LOT less damage.

Depends on howcareful you are and the condition of the wall.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2013 00:38, GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

As people have said, destroy it.

I've inherited an ivy-covered house and I am pulling it all down to
replace with trellis and climbing roses. They're more work in terms of
training them, but they're better looking and don't destroy the mortar
or the paintwork on windows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house,
Any advice?
Kill it!
Friends of mine bought a property at auction that hadn't been lived-in

for 25+ years, although the grounds had been maintained for all that
time, nobody thought to do anything about the ivy that eventualy reached
the top of the chimneys ... it took a lot of clearing!
http://goo.gl/maps/XtnWT

Don't overlook thta if it is not causing damage to the wall then it is
adding a layer of isulation (stilled air) and is also offering rain
shielding of the wall.
Some wall types can be damaged badly by ivy - but for those that aren't,
there are benefits.

+1. An up-side is it can hold very damaged walls together. To be fair though, the downsides rule 90 something % of the time.

Blocking the sun makes walls in winter colder, not warmer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Well that ****s up the benefits of exterior insulation then:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

I regard it as an easy way for all kinds of insects and other crawly
creatures, like burglars, to gain access. I hack and destroy the stuff
before it gets much of a hold. Cut the main stalk(s) at the bottom and
let the growth die off. It will then pull off the wall much more
easily. If it's been there for ages, it will take some doing though;
be prepared for a repaint/repair/touchup job once it's gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite
picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing
over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to the
advisability of letting it rampage.

Any advice?

I regard it as an easy way for all kinds of insects and other crawly
creatures, like burglars, to gain access. I hack and destroy the stuff
before it gets much of a hold. Cut the main stalk(s) at the bottom and
let the growth die off. It will then pull off the wall much more
easily. If it's been there for ages, it will take some doing though;
be prepared for a repaint/repair/touchup job once it's gone.

It puzzles me when people pull it off. Cut the stem near the ground and forget it. It'll do the rest itself, slowly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2013 22:40, Ian Jackson wrote:

Slowly - often very, Very, VERY slowly. Hidden under a clematis*, I
recently found a load of almost fossilised ivy that I killed about 15
years ago. It was still valiantly adhering to the wall, and took quite a
bit of shifting.

I agree.
The delightful ivy on our house is (was) growing from one small location
in the patio. Having got completely fed up with it over the years I've
taken at least an inch section out of the two main stems (each one a
couple of inches thick) It still appears to be growing, almost like it's
getting moisture etc from the air and the clingtacles.

Perhaps next year it might slow down a bit...

:¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Gym Equipment for the Pro.s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 02/10/2013 22:40, Ian Jackson wrote:

Slowly - often very, Very, VERY slowly. Hidden under a clematis*, I
recently found a load of almost fossilised ivy that I killed about 15
years ago. It was still valiantly adhering to the wall, and took quite a
bit of shifting.

I agree.
The delightful ivy on our house is (was) growing from one small location
in the patio. Having got completely fed up with it over the years I've
taken at least an inch section out of the two main stems (each one a
couple of inches thick) It still appears to be growing, almost like it's
getting moisture etc from the air and the clingtacles.

Perhaps next year it might slow down a bit...

:¬)

Whether on walls or on trees, I don't think that ivy can survive with
the stem severed. It may appear to be surviving, but it will eventually
start to show signs of wilting, and it won't recover. Of course, this
depends on the weather. If it's hot and sunny, it will probably show you
it's dying after only a few ways, whereas if it's cold and wet, it might
hang on for months.
--
Ian

Plastic pipe threads - spawn of the devil? Tim W[_2_] UK diy 10 November 1st 09 12:26 PM
Red Devil Samantha Booth UK diy 11 July 23rd 08 02:10 PM
The devil made me do it Ted Samuels Metalworking 33 September 17th 07 03:00 AM
CHAIRMAKER'S DEVIL J T Woodworking 0 September 22nd 06 02:09 AM