Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default stair spindles with base rail on corner

I have fitted the spindles with base rail on the stairs up to a newel post, and now have to do the landing. At the top of the stairs after the newel post, I have a short section (only about 6 inches) then a 90 degree bend onto the landing. For this bend I wish to use a curved hand rail section rather than a mitred corner, since it looks much better.
The issue is that there is no matching curved base rail section available to match the handrail, so the base rail has to be mitred. Since there will be no spindle right in the corner, the sharp mitred corner of the base rail looks a bit silly.

The base rail has this profile:
http://www.richardburbidge.com/media...rail-BR-41.gif
http://tinyurl.com/nzq8au5

I could try and make a radiused corner piece but I am not an expect with a router (I don't have one) and not sure if the edge profile is a standard fluted router bit.
Any ideas to make this look half decent ?

Simon.

Stair rail knuttle Woodworking 3 December 10th 11 07:20 PM
Stair Spindles Arthur2 UK diy 1 January 31st 09 10:30 AM
I had a couple of stair spindles leftover. The3rd Earl Of Derby Woodworking 0 August 20th 06 06:59 AM
stair rail height John P Reber Home Repair 5 July 21st 05 08:23 PM
Installing Stair Spindles SPC UK diy 4 February 20th 05 10:40 AM