Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default epoxy tile grout - anyone used it?

Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout?

Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it?

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2013 18:27, Jim K wrote:
Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout?

Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from
plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it?

Don't like it myself - very difficult to apply, and a right pain to
clean up after application. Tends to discolour anyway.

I prefer a decent "normal" grout, and then treating it with Lithofin
Grout Protector.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/09/13 18:27, Jim K wrote:
Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout?

Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it?

It's stickier and harder to work than normal grout, and there is limited
time before it goes off. Use a heavy duty rubber bladed tiling squeegee
to work into the joints and clear the tile surface. Then free the sticky
residue from the tile surface with a wet plastic 'scotchgard' type
scourer before wiping clean with a sponge in the normal way.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:48:02 PM UTC+1, djc wrote:
On 18/09/13 18:27, Jim K wrote:

Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout?

Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it?

It's stickier and harder to work than normal grout, and there is limited

time before it goes off. Use a heavy duty rubber bladed tiling squeegee

to work into the joints and clear the tile surface. Then free the sticky

residue from the tile surface with a wet plastic 'scotchgard' type

scourer before wiping clean with a sponge in the normal way.

mmm sounds like an added pain indeed.

would you bother with it for a "steam shower cubicle"?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/13 18:27, Jim K wrote:

Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout?

Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it?

It's stickier and harder to work than normal grout, and there is limited

time before it goes off. Use a heavy duty rubber bladed tiling squeegee

to work into the joints and clear the tile surface. Then free the sticky

residue from the tile surface with a wet plastic 'scotchgard' type

scourer before wiping clean with a sponge in the normal way.

mmm sounds like an added pain indeed.

would you bother with it for a "steam shower cubicle"?

No. Normal showers seem to suffer most in the lower areas where they are
exposed to direct water jets and spray. The steam seems to have less
effect.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes the evidence does bear that out here...

Cheers
Jim K

applying epoxy grout Uno Home Repair 5 July 28th 11 09:52 AM
Bathroom being gutted and redone with new tile, shower etc.. should Iuse epoxy grout? KOS Home Repair 9 January 10th 11 11:20 PM
Removal of Tile Perfect Ceramic Tile Adhesive & Grout eganders Home Repair 0 January 27th 08 01:33 PM
Epoxy grout question DJ Home Repair 8 June 22nd 05 01:07 AM
Tips on using Epoxy Grout? [email protected] UK diy 9 February 16th 05 12:39 AM