Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's it called - Lighting flex fixing

I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

\___/ Ceiling rose _X Thingy
\____________________/ |
Flex |

/ \ Pendant
|_|

Any idea of the name or a current source?

We're not moving the ceiling rose.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

\___/ Ceiling rose _X Thingy
\____________________/ |
Flex |

/ \ Pendant
|_|

Any idea of the name or a current source?

We're not moving the ceiling rose.

B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting plate
fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't clamp the
cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
fred wrote:
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

Plug in ceiling rose?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...kw=16327816511.

The cover unscrews as normal but the flex is on a plug underneath it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

Plug in ceiling rose?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...kw=16327816511.

The cover unscrews as normal but the flex is on a plug underneath it.

Helps if you actually read the question...

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
fred wrote:

I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting plate
fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't clamp the
cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for
this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the
consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting
plate fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't
clamp the cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for
this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the
consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Cable tie round the hook?

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting
plate fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't
clamp the cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for
this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the
consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Cable tie round the hook?

Yes, I was being a bit precious in thinking that would look naff but I'm
sure a very small one in natural would do fine.

Now moving over to the idea of some kind simple/ugly ceiling fixing (inc
cable tie!) masked by a spare rose cover.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting

plate fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't

clamp the cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for

this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the

consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Cable tie round the hook?

Yes, I was being a bit precious in thinking that would look naff but I'm

sure a very small one in natural would do fine.

The one like that at the head of our stairs has been there for 20 years and

no-one's ever noticed it ...

or possibly they all thought "christ look at the state of that" but thought it best not to poke your ego... ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:15:31 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but

for
this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the
consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Cable tie round the hook?

Or use an hook eye and thread the cable through not a cup hook.

Can't see any point in a fake ceiling rose set up. It'll still look
crap with the cable running from the real ceiling rose, may as well
just admit it's a bodge with an eye or hook.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

B&Q do a small hook which slides onto a mounting plate. The mounting
plate
fixed to the ceiling by a single fixing. Of course it doesn't clamp the
cable - but makes a neat enough job of what you want.

I've used purpose made ceiling hooks for other light fittings but for
this one I think the risk of dislodgement on an open hook and the
consequences of damage to a glass shade are too great.

Then a full loop instead of a hook and add a spring carabiner?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

\___/ Ceiling rose _X Thingy
\____________________/ |
Flex |

/ \ Pendant
|_|

Any idea of the name or a current source?

We're not moving the ceiling rose.

Very popular in the latter 1960's...

I have thrown away several which have come out of IKEA pendants,
but they aren't "pretty" - they're intended to be hidden by a
cover which slides up the flex to form a poor man's ceiling rose,
as commonly used in a number of other countries where a pendant
hangs from a hook.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes

Very popular in the latter 1960's...

That's them ;-)

I have thrown away several which have come out of IKEA pendants,
but they aren't "pretty" - they're intended to be hidden by a
cover which slides up the flex to form a poor man's ceiling rose,
as commonly used in a number of other countries where a pendant
hangs from a hook.

Yes, that's another alternative, I could use the hook and mask it with a
spare rose cover with a side entry cutout for a cover. I think there's a
spare ikea rose cover hanging about somewhere.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred :
I'm looking for a ceiling fixing that can be used to move the mounting
point for a pendant lamp on a long cable without moving the ceiling
rose.

From memory these were available as a small plate fixed to the ceiling
with a slotted bush fitted to the underside, the pendant flex passed
through the slot in the bush and was secured with a blunt ended
grubscrew in the end of it.

A bit like this:

\___/ Ceiling rose _X Thingy
Flex |

/ \ Pendant
|_|

Any idea of the name or a current source?

We're not moving the ceiling rose.

Cable tie anchor. Virtually invisible.

--
Mike Barnes