Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A concave building? What madness

They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...59973..article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote:
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...59973..article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

Now if they had built it in Tobermory it would provide an excellent way
of transmitting energy to a certain former lighthouse keeper's cottage...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 21:17:25 +0100, polygonum wrote:

On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote:
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...59973..article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

Now if they had built it in Tobermory it would provide an excellent way
of transmitting energy to a certain former lighthouse keeper's cottage...

ok. that was funny.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

hopefully everyone whos property and vehicles sue the develeper and architect for damages. the
design was badly thought out.

i was shocked by the mat inside one of the shops that started to burn. the building is dangerous.

--

mhm x v i x i i i
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F writes
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave
sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...glare-damaged-
vehicles/5059973.article

See thread: 'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?" Mon, 2 Sep
2013 19:35:08 +0000 (UTC)

Presumably they'd have been safe in either NZ or Scotland.

Architect is reported to Venezuelan or similar so he may have got his
safe pointing direction the wrong way up.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:59:25 AM UTC+12, fred wrote:
In article ,

Matty F writes

They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave

sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...glare-damaged-

vehicles/5059973.article

See thread: 'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?" Mon, 2 Sep

2013 19:35:08 +0000 (UTC)

Yes, I did search for this story before I posted, and the "bucked" story appeared to be about a typo and didn't have a summary of the problem, so I didn't follow the links.

Presumably they'd have been safe in either NZ or Scotland.

There's plenty of sun in NZ. The building appears to be concave on all sides, so the direction of the sun would always be a problem.
There are several other examples of concave buildings causing a problem in the last 10 years. I'd be worrying about other aspects of this building, considering the ignorance of the architect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 22:35, Matty F wrote:
[...]

Including the Vdara.

"Solar convergence or "death ray"

The building's reflective surface and concave design can act as a
parabolic reflector to create a phenomenon in which the reflected rays
of the sun can create dangerously hot conditions at particular points on
the pool deck. Employees have called the phenomenon the "Vdara death
ray"; the management has described it as a "solar convergence". As the
sun's position in the sky changes during the day, the problem affects
different areas of the deck.[23][24] According to the Las Vegas Review
Journal, proposed solutions included adding more foliage to the pool
deck and offering larger sun umbrellas.[24] The architect, Rafael
Viñoly, also designed the "Walkie-Talkie" skyscraper which has been
dubbed the "Walkie-Scorchie" due to a similar problem.[25]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vdara

(Have to say, Wiki manages to be more up-to-date than paper
encyclopaedias ever managed! :-) )

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes
On 03/09/2013 22:35, Matty F wrote:

There's plenty of sun in NZ. The building appears to be concave on all sides, so

the direction of the sun would always be a problem.
There are several other examples of concave buildings causing a problem in the

last 10 years. I'd be worrying about other aspects of this building, considering the
ignorance of the architect.

Yes, the same architect.

Including the Vdara.

Yes, the same architect.

"Solar convergence or "death ray"

The building's reflective surface and concave design can act as a
parabolic reflector to create a phenomenon in which the reflected rays
of the sun can create dangerously hot conditions at particular points on
the pool deck. Employees have called the phenomenon the "Vdara death
ray"; the management has described it as a "solar convergence". As the
sun's position in the sky changes during the day, the problem affects
different areas of the deck.[23][24] According to the Las Vegas Review
Journal, proposed solutions included adding more foliage to the pool
deck and offering larger sun umbrellas.[24] The architect, Rafael
Viñoly, also designed the "Walkie-Talkie" skyscraper which has been
dubbed the "Walkie-Scorchie" due to a similar problem.[25]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vdara

Did you see the high tech solution applied in that situation, external
window film, it'll be scratched and peeling in a few years and needing
replaced but the idiot architect hasn't learned his lesson,

(Have to say, Wiki manages to be more up-to-date than paper
encyclopaedias ever managed! :-) )

Yes, hats off to the contributors, despite their alleged cliquiness.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/13 08:56, fred wrote:
In article , polygonum
writes
[...]

the stupidity is that ALL you have to do is arrange for all the panels
to be at slightly different angles.

Juts three different angles like bay windows, would have pushed the
effect down to 30%.

Alternate different angles on different floors as well, and its all solved.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 04 September 2013 08:56 fred wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Did you see the high tech solution applied in that situation, external
window film, it'll be scratched and peeling in a few years and needing
replaced but the idiot architect hasn't learned his lesson,

Oh dear what a nob...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_...ay.22_problems

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 22:41, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Brady has been pretty quick off the mark as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1Hgzi2ElQ

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:35:00 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

[...]

Shouldn't this be covered by the building regulations? Part C?

That was a joke anout the shape of the letter C but I see that piece
of legislation does cover radon death rays.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...95/2063740.pdf

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 22:35, Matty F wrote:
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:59:25 AM UTC+12, fred wrote:

I'd be worrying about other aspects of this building, considering the
ignorance of the architect.

Architects who do not know what they are doling ...... almost par for
the course ... look at Millennium bridge ... had to be closed due to
induced oscillations within days of opening .... Architect explained at
time it was resonance form footsteps & wind direction .. could not be
anticipated ...boll***s

When I was in school you studied Tacoma bridge disaster which happened
in 1940 and is required reading for Structural engineering - this guy
had a knighthood for his work !!!

http://www.technologystudent.com/struct1/tacoma1.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
On 03/09/2013 22:35, Matty F wrote:
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:59:25 AM UTC+12, fred wrote:

I'd be worrying about other aspects of this building, considering the
ignorance of the architect.

Architects who do not know what they are doling ...... almost par for
the course ... look at Millennium bridge ... had to be closed due to
induced oscillations within days of opening .... Architect explained at
time it was resonance form footsteps & wind direction .. could not be
anticipated ...boll***s

When I was in school you studied Tacoma bridge disaster which happened
in 1940 and is required reading for Structural engineering - this guy
had a knighthood for his work !!!

http://www.technologystudent.com/struct1/tacoma1.htm

but, achitects don't bother themselves with structural details. They leave
that all to "consultants". And yes, I remember watching the film of the
Tacoma Bridge as part of my Engineering course.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 15:49:03 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Company... wait for it... Company, break step!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote:
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting
off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows
black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have
been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building
had melted parts of their vehicles.

There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be
completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.
Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/13 09:18, Jon Connell wrote:
There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.
Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.

and depreciate faster than used toilet paper. I've owned three. Great
toys but boy, no way are they an investment.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

and depreciate faster than used toilet paper. I've owned three. Great
toys but boy, no way are they an investment.

Ah, but there's good in that too. Just let somebody else pay the
depreciation and VAT for you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/13 10:18, Jon Connell wrote:
and depreciate faster than used toilet paper. I've owned three. Great
toys but boy, no way are they an investment.

Ah, but there's good in that too. Just let somebody else pay the
depreciation and VAT for you.

who would that be then?

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:31:13 PM UTC+12, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 04/09/13 09:18, Jon Connell wrote:

There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.

Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.

and depreciate faster than used toilet paper. I've owned three. Great

toys but boy, no way are they an investment.

I've had five, if I include the three Daimlers. They don't cost much to fix if you do it yourself. I've done a couple of valve grinds and fixed the computer in my latest (bad solder joint)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon Connell wrote:
There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.
Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.

Was hardly a small job - did you see the damage?

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2013 09:18, Jon Connell wrote:
There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.
Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.

Look on the bright side, if it were a smart it all could have melted.
Plastic sides, bonnet, roof..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/13 13:20, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/09/2013 09:18, Jon Connell wrote:
There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage.

That does appear to be the default answer for any small job on a Jag.
Expensive cars to run. Pretty, but expensive.

Look on the bright side, if it were a smart it all could have melted.
Plastic sides, bonnet, roof..

I think this episode reflects very badly on Jaguar. I had a look at one
of those cars today and now that we know what a cheap and nasty piece of
plastic that panel behind the rear door windows is it looks suddenly
like a very odd design decision. Makes you wonder what other substandard
materials they have used elsewhere on the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:

I think this episode reflects very badly on Jaguar ... Makes
you wonder what other substandard
materials they have used elsewhere on the car.

You've not owned a Jag, have you? ;-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 23:58:43 +0100, pcb1962
wrote:

I think this episode reflects very badly on Jaguar. I had a look at one
of those cars today and now that we know what a cheap and nasty piece of
plastic that panel behind the rear door windows is it looks suddenly
like a very odd design decision. Makes you wonder what other substandard
materials they have used elsewhere on the car.

It's complex shape, used to hide and cover a panel join, it serves no structural
purpose, moulded plastic is an ideal material. In the distant past they would
have leaded the join adding weight or stuck a bit of tacky chrome trim on it and
made it look like ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:56:27 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote: They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black. http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles. There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage. The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let. -- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Only a grand. A jaguar main dealer will charge that just too look at it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 06:20:31 -0700 (PDT), zaax wrote:

On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 10:56:27 PM UTC+1, The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote: They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black. http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles. There was a Jag apparently that had a grands worth of damage. The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let. -- Dave - The Medway Handyman www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Only a grand. A jaguar main dealer will charge that just too look at it.

Followed by him saying 'they all do that sir'

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mcp mcp is offline

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 08:39:32 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

What a weird idea? All I can say is, just as well they did not build it in
or around the Equator then.
Brian

It would be fine at the equator, the height of the sun would mean the
light hit the ground before reaching a focus.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 23:19:50 +0100, mcp wrote:

What a weird idea? All I can say is, just as well they did not

build it
in or around the Equator then.

It would be fine at the equator, the height of the sun would mean the
light hit the ground before reaching a focus.

Possibly, at midday, at local equinox. The sun still takes a
different path through the sky each day as it rises and sets in
combination with the tilt of the earth and the orbit around the sun.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote:
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

In some parts of Welsh Valleys they have been putting up concave
structures so that light is directed to side of the valley that
otherwise gets no sun at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2013 21:08, Matty F wrote:
They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...59973..article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinoly’s Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

Saturday mornings affect what is left of my brain in peculiar ways.

Saw this thread subject again and nearly instantly thought "Who lives in
concave buildings? Why - controglodytes."

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 13:08:22 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to

be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

In a similar vein but on a much smaller scale, my wife does quite a
lot of fine needlework, and has a large plastic lens on a flexible
stalk to help her see fine detail.

Smaller scale, but not uncommon. A few years ago there was a piece on
Watchdog (or similar) where various people had caught small fires due to
lens effects caused by glass ornaments and mirrors. Always something to
keep in mind with south facing aspects.

--
Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 08:49:38 +0100, Scott M
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 13:08:22 -0700 (PDT), Matty F

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to

be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

In a similar vein but on a much smaller scale, my wife does quite a
lot of fine needlework, and has a large plastic lens on a flexible
stalk to help her see fine detail.

Smaller scale, but not uncommon. A few years ago there was a piece on
Watchdog (or similar) where various people had caught small fires due to
lens effects caused by glass ornaments and mirrors. Always something to
keep in mind with south facing aspects.

It's something I have always been cartful about, ever since my dad
demonstrated how to light a fire with a magnifying glass when I was
little.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They actually built this thing without considering the sun reflecting off its concave sides? I hope they are forced to paint the windows black.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/walki...059973.article

Parking bays underneath Rafael Vinolys Walkie Talkie building have been suspended after motorists complained the glare from the building had melted parts of their vehicles.

The scheme at 20 Fenchurch Street in the City of London is due to be completed next May and is already more than 50% let.

In a similar vein but on a much smaller scale, my wife does quite a
lot of fine needlework, and has a large plastic lens on a flexible
stalk to help her see fine detail. She has a work room with a window
that faces south, and a ghetto blaster for background entertainment.
One day we noticed an elongated hole or track burnt through the case
of the blaster, a couple of cm long. We reckoned that the sun shining
through the lens had been focused onto the case and had melted a track
as it moved round. We were lucky nothing caught fire, and she now
takes great care to keep the lens covered and out of the sun at all
times when not in use.

I used to have bullion glass in a window. There was a scorch mark across
a curtain lining drawn behind it.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg :
In a similar vein but on a much smaller scale, my wife does quite a
lot of fine needlework, and has a large plastic lens on a flexible
stalk to help her see fine detail. She has a work room with a window
that faces south, and a ghetto blaster for background entertainment.
One day we noticed an elongated hole or track burnt through the case
of the blaster, a couple of cm long. We reckoned that the sun shining
through the lens had been focused onto the case and had melted a track
as it moved round. We were lucky nothing caught fire, and she now
takes great care to keep the lens covered and out of the sun at all
times when not in use.

I have a similar lens, which has a hinged flap to cover the lens, and
until now I had no idea why it was there.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:22:43 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

I have a similar lens, which has a hinged flap to cover the lens, and
until now I had no idea why it was there.

God grief have you never played with a magnifying glass and sunlight.
Even a small eye glass an inch across will set fire to paper in a few
seconds with a high sun.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice :
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:22:43 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

I have a similar lens, which has a hinged flap to cover the lens, and
until now I had no idea why it was there.

God grief have you never played with a magnifying glass and sunlight.

Of course. But my magnifying lens has always lived in a room with no
direct sunlight.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 16:21:42 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Dave Liquorice :
On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 09:22:43 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

I have a similar lens, which has a hinged flap to cover the lens, and
until now I had no idea why it was there.

God grief have you never played with a magnifying glass and sunlight.

Of course. But my magnifying lens has always lived in a room with no
direct sunlight.

Mike Barnes
^^^^^^
You sure your surname isn't Fritzl? ;-)