Lawrence

Default So what did they use before asbestos for loose fill insulation

A thought that crossed my mind. After looking up what was used in
Rayburn cookers and all I can find is a reference to a letter that
asbestos was never used for loose fill.

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
David W.E. Roberts

"Lawrence" wrote in message
A thought that crossed my mind. After looking up what was used in
Rayburn cookers and all I can find is a reference to a letter that
asbestos was never used for loose fill.

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Confusing isn't it - asbestos insulation is produced from mineral found in
rock - so I guess that this would class as rock mineral.

I was assured that asbestos had never been used for loose fill by the
Rayburn people - back then Rayburn was still the company, not just an Aga
brand name.

AFAIK they used rockwool style stuff - when I rebuilt my old Rayburn in the
late 70s I managed to get some Rocksil.

See http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/index.asp.

This has been going since 1946 in various guises.

Don't know when Rayburns were first built, but I presume rock fibre
insulation is an old product.

Aha - http://www.aga-rayburn.co.uk/flash_index.html states "The Rayburn was
first developed as a cooker and water heater in the 1940s "

http://www.naima.org/pages/resources...q_mineral.html states "Health and
safety research on rock and slag wool has been ongoing for nearly 70 years.
" This implies that the product was around in the 1930s in significant
enough quantities to justify H&S research.

So logically rock mineral fibre can have been used as insulation since the
first Rayburn was built.

Now off to do some real work :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Peter Parry

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:52:52 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Vermiculite

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Michael Mcneil

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:52:52 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Vermiculite

Caustic soda?

The Natural Philosopher

Lawrence wrote:

A thought that crossed my mind. After looking up what was used in
Rayburn cookers and all I can find is a reference to a letter that
asbestos was never used for loose fill.

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Neiher of those was, but other minerals were. Can't remember what they
were tho.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

The Natural Philosopher

Michael Mcneil wrote:

"Peter Parry" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:52:52 +0000, Lawrence
wrote:

Was rockwool around?

Was fibreglass around?

Vermiculite

Caustic soda?

Mornington Crescent.

Michael Mcneil

Mornington Crescent.

It's on again, I'm sorry I haven't a clue started the latest series
today. An earlier series is on
Channel 7 -whatever that is.

Why is it £80 to watch free to view?

Peter Parry

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:16:58 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Neiher of those was, but other minerals were. Can't remember what they
were tho.

Vermiculite - how many times must I tell you :-).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
PJO

Vermiculite ?

How do you spell that?

Lawrence

Seems like rockwool and fibreglass have been around a long time.

Rayburn (aga-rayburn) state that they have only ever used rockwool and
fibreglass. I asked them about a 1960s rayburn Nr1.

Lawrence

usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Peter Parry

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:30:53 -0000, "PJO"
wrote:

Vermiculite ?

How do you spell that?

Which, the hydrated phlogopite or the hydrated biotite one?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Vermiculite ?

How do you spell that?

Which, the hydrated phlogopite or the hydrated biotite one?

isn't that phlogophite?

RichardS

wrote:

Vermiculite ?

How do you spell that?

Which, the hydrated phlogopite or the hydrated biotite one?

isn't that phlogophite?

I think that the real question here is whether the Makita hair-splitting
tool is better than the PPPro one (with 3 year guarantee) or the Ferm
equivalent.

Corded or battery.

Of course, eye protection and a mask shoudl always be worn...

;-)

Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Loft insulation David Hearn UK diy 26 November 10th 03 08:17 PM
Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation L Reid UK diy 22 October 19th 03 10:26 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM