Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Eggshell" paint

Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and un-finished.
Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and easily dusted any
day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 30, 2013 5:17:58 PM UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?

It's fashionable?

Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and un-finished.

I am considering it, only because it'll be an improvement on the rough unsanded stained pine cladding that a previous owner decided would make nice interior feature woodwork everywhere.

The quality of the timber isn't good enough for gloss.

Actually, it isn't good enough for a dog kennel.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2013 17:17, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and un-finished.
Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and easily dusted any
day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

If by eggshell you mean satin, it's useful because it doesn't show up
dodgy paintwork like high gloss does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AC AC is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?

No. People have different tastes. All are valid.

To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and un-finished.
Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and easily dusted any
day of the year.

To you, sure.

So, you like one thing, others like something else. What is wrong with
that? I think white gloss is unimaginative, drab and boring, not to
mention common. Its the paint equivalent of red bricks. But that is just
my taste.

--
AC
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and
un-finished. Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and
easily dusted any day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

Your post has good timing.

I was with a new electrician last week working on newbuilds. He had to fit
the electric heaters and that involved drilling into the wall above the
skirting board.

The conversation between him and the decorator was

"When will the paint be dry, I need to drill some holes?"
"It is dry, I painted them 2 days ago"
"But it is still shiny"
"That's because it is gloss paint"

And IMHO white gloss skirting is better than eggshell:-).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and
un-finished. Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and
easily dusted any day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

Why does my newsreader say that you posted this two hours before I replied?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Why?
Am I the only one in the world that hates "eggshell" paint on door
frames and skirting boards etc?
To me it looks like everything's been left undercoated and
un-finished. Give me a good white gloss that can be wiped clean and
easily dusted any day of the year.

And on that note, have a great weekend.

Why does my newsreader say that you posted this two hours before I
replied?

Sorted I was buggering around with the date:-(

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Sorted I was buggering around with the date:-(

She's versatile ;-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 21:48:12 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

If by eggshell you mean satin,

Satin and eggshell are different paints. Seven years since I stopped
selling paint I'm not sure why but probably satin is/was oil based and
eggshell is/was water based.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If by eggshell you mean satin,

Satin and eggshell are different paints. Seven years since I stopped
selling paint I'm not sure why but probably satin is/was oil based and
eggshell is/was water based.

Oil-based eggshell was common enough back in the 1960s - well before
modern era water-based paints (other than the emulsions of the day).

I think, but cannot be sure, that the satin name has usually been
applied to water-based paints.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If by eggshell you mean satin,

Satin and eggshell are different paints. Seven years since I stopped
selling paint I'm not sure why but probably satin is/was oil based and
eggshell is/was water based.

wrong way round, I think. Eggshell has been around long before we started
getting acrylic paints. The shell Eggshell paint I have says wash brushes
in white spirit which impies its oil based.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:31:17 +0100, charles
wrote:

wrong way round, I think. Eggshell has been around long before we started
getting acrylic paints. The shell Eggshell paint I have says wash brushes
in white spirit which impies its oil based.

I've noticed the sheds sell two types of eggshell now. One that is
marked high voc and the tin says for woodwork but also a low voc,
water based one that says it is for walls.

I read here that eggshell is hardwearing and recommended for kitchens.
I presume that's the solvent-based one. Is the water based one any
good or is it just as bad as water based gloss? Is there any reason
(apart from the smell) not to use the solvented one on walls?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fred, Cathi howell wrote:
actually eggshell and satin, are types of sheen that can be either oil or
water based, the binder content in the paint its self determins the sheen, the
more binder the more shine it has. and subsequently the more durable your
paint will be, and actually satin paint has as much binder as a semi gloss,
but it has particles mixed in with the pigment that defract light and make it
appear less shiny.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nt-919083-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2019 21:44, Cathi howell wrote:
replying to Fred, Cathi howell wrote:
actually eggshell and satin, are types of sheen that can be either oil or
water based, the binder content in the paint its self determins the
sheen, the
more binder the more shine it has.Â* and subsequently the more durable your
paint will be, and actually satin paint has as much binder as a semi gloss,
but it has particles mixed in with the pigment that defract light and
make it
appear less shiny.

Is Fred still alive, 6 years on from his original post ?