Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default daft question about kitchen cupbaord handles

Hi,

The world's slowest kitchen refurb continues at a slow pace. I have a
collection of door handles off the old cupboards. They are not
magnetic so cannot be steel but although a dull grey colour (the brass
plating has long worn off), they seem too heavy to be aluminium but I
am far from an expert. If I cut them with an angle grinder there are
no sparks. Any idea what they might be? Only so I know which bag to
put them in when I go to the scrap yard.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2013 11:33, Fred wrote:
Hi,

The world's slowest kitchen refurb continues at a slow pace. I have a
collection of door handles off the old cupboards. They are not
magnetic so cannot be steel but although a dull grey colour (the brass
plating has long worn off), they seem too heavy to be aluminium but I
am far from an expert. If I cut them with an angle grinder there are
no sparks. Any idea what they might be? Only so I know which bag to
put them in when I go to the scrap yard.

Probably zinc alloy.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2013 12:27, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've also come across some that seem to be made from some kind of powder
loaded epoxy of some kind, The give away is it smells horrible if drilled or
sawn.
Brian

Possibly a phenolic resin, such as Bakelite or Tufnol.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:33:38 +0100, Fred wrote:

Any idea what they might be? Only so I know which bag to put them in
when I go to the scrap yard.

Probably some form of zinc based alloy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/13 11:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:33:38 +0100, Fred wrote:

Any idea what they might be? Only so I know which bag to put them in
when I go to the scrap yard.

Probably some form of zinc based alloy.

'pot metal'

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:57:47 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Probably some form of zinc based alloy.

Thanks.