Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboards - Again

Sorry to repost the subject but I need to buy in the next 48 hours.

Following up from my earlier post and replying to the questions/replies.
It's to replace a ceiling, recent water damage.

The current stuff is about 8.5 mm thick, 100 inches long and about 78 inches
wide, comprised of two panels.

The house that I'l selling is located in Hanworth - West London-Middlesex.

Need to get the stuff for this weekend and would prefer not having to chop
it up, at least not lengthways. It doesn't need to be eactly 8.5mm, just
close, I'll sort the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:44:10 PM UTC+1, Road_Hog wrote:
Sorry to repost the subject but I need to buy in the next 48 hours.

Following up from my earlier post and replying to the questions/replies.

It's to replace a ceiling, recent water damage.

The current stuff is about 8.5 mm thick, 100 inches long and about 78 inches

wide, comprised of two panels.

The house that I'l selling is located in Hanworth - West London-Middlesex.

Need to get the stuff for this weekend and would prefer not having to chop

it up, at least not lengthways. It doesn't need to be eactly 8.5mm, just

close, I'll sort the rest.

9mm plasterboard - 6ft x 3ft or 8ft x 4ft sheets from any shed that's nearest.

hope for dry weather or a large van.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:44:10 PM UTC+1, Road_Hog wrote:

Sorry to repost the subject but I need to buy in the next 48 hours.
Following up from my earlier post and replying to the questions/replies.
It's to replace a ceiling, recent water damage.
The current stuff is about 8.5 mm thick, 100 inches long and about 78 inches
wide, comprised of two panels.
The house that I'l selling is located in Hanworth - West London-Middlesex.
Need to get the stuff for this weekend and would prefer not having to chop
it up, at least not lengthways. It doesn't need to be eactly 8.5mm, just
close, I'll sort the rest.

Ceilings want 9mm, and smaller boards than 8x4 for handling reasons.

Its very easy to add a bit of sound deadening when you put them up too
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oise_reduction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tho why you'd bother when only repairing one smallish area is harder to justify?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 23, 2013 8:24:51 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
Tho why you'd bother when only repairing one smallish area is harder to justify?

100x78". It only takes a moment and practically no pennies to do

Good job I spotted the mistype of pennies

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And for the rest of the ceiling?....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 8:40:39 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
And for the rest of the ceiling?....

you can add some or not, its pretty trivial where you've got access
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously "where you've got access" it is trivial.

equally obviously *getting* that access will be the decider.

Adding insulation to one section of a ceiling sounds like a pointless waste of time & money to me. YMMV.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:34:38 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

Obviously "where you've got access" it is trivial.
equally obviously *getting* that access will be the decider.
Adding insulation to one section of a ceiling sounds like a pointless waste of time & money to me. YMMV.
Jim K

You're making a mountain out of nothing. Chucking some sand or plaster up there takes no time and close to no cost.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:07:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:34:38 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

Obviously "where you've got access" it is trivial.

equally obviously *getting* that access will be the decider.

Adding insulation to one section of a ceiling sounds like a pointless waste of time & money to me. YMMV.

Jim K

You're making a mountain out of nothing. Chucking some sand or plaster up there takes no time and close to no cost.

NT

& you're talking bollox ;)

so just how do you balance your "sand & plaster" on plasterboards destined for a ceiling repair job - presumably done from below/roomside?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 26, 2013 12:09:52 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
On Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:07:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:

On Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:34:38 AM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

Obviously "where you've got access" it is trivial.

equally obviously *getting* that access will be the decider.

Adding insulation to one section of a ceiling sounds like a pointless waste of time & money to me. YMMV.

Jim K

You're making a mountain out of nothing. Chucking some sand or plaster up there takes no time and close to no cost.

& you're talking bollox ;)

hardly

so just how do you balance your "sand & plaster" on plasterboards destined for a ceiling repair job - presumably done from below/roomside?

No balancing involved.
Sand: Put pb up, prop it, chuck a little sand on, slide the last several inches into position and screw.
Plaster: Put some lines on the board, position and screw.
It aint rocket science.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And you have done this? Or just imagined it?

Jim K