Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shed project - gambrel roof

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content...shed-interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of lead
on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content...shed-interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of lead
on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change in
contour.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 18:04:14 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-
interior-design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-
roof-f1yvoejt.jpg

Broken link tiny url is your friend:

http://tinyurl.com/mpt7g7u

The question is - how the hell do they tile them?

Like any other boarded out roof? Laths on top of the boards. Tiles
on laths as normal.

What do they do at the interface between the pitched roof section and
the near vertical section?

Same site enter gambrel into the search box 2nd page has quite a
number of images of plans. Haven't worked out how you get decent
sized versions tho'

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 20 August 2013 18:37 Andrew Mawson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-

interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change
in contour.

Sir, I think you are right:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5977480_in...s-gambrel.html

AWEM

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-

interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change
in contour.

Sir, I think you are right:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5977480_in...s-gambrel.html

Sir, I claim your wife and daughters (subject to inspection )

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-

interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change
in contour.

Sir, I think you are right:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5977480_in...s-gambrel.html

Umm.. I don't think they got the first row weatherproof.

For slate, I would put a row of half slates up first. This weatherproofs
the gaps between the first full row and lifts the eaves edge to match
the rest of the roof.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content...shed-interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead
on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

Reading this on the web? See:

They are usually called a Mansard roof in the UK.
Some detailshere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansard_roof
Very common back in the fifties for cheap domestic houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content...shed-interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead
on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

They are usually called a Mansard roof in the UK.
Some detailshere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansard_roof
Very common back in the fifties for cheap domestic houses.

Yes, but if you actually read the article in the link, only if
all four sides of the roof have a double slope. The shed in Tim's
photo looks like it has flat gable ends, so gambrel is accurate.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 21 August 2013 07:16 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

They are usually called a Mansard roof in the UK.

No - a mansard roof is a fully hipped gambrel.

A gambrel is a gable ended structure.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-

interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change
in contour.

AWEM

This does seem to be the north american way.

However, asphalt shingles aka bitumen felt tile shingles (the nearest I can
find here, probably basically the same thing[1]) seem more of a faff to
install with endless amounts of sealant and unconvincing fitting than fibre
cement tiles would be.

Perhaps it would be reasonable to run a flashing strip along the gradient
change and tile as normal.

I would like the roof to look "nice" - otherwise I'd use torch on felt

[1] Proper asphalt shingles are paper soaked in bitumen and dusted with
ceramic/sand. Our version may be paper based, or newer products seem to be
based on glass fibre with bitumen. Ours tend to be sold as strips - not sure
about american ones.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/21/2013 6:27 AM, Tim Watts wrote:

[1] Proper asphalt shingles are paper soaked in bitumen and dusted with
ceramic/sand. Our version may be paper based, or newer products seem to be
based on glass fibre with bitumen. Ours tend to be sold as strips - not sure
about american ones.

Yes, US ones are strips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-21, Tim Watts wrote:

[1] Proper asphalt shingles are paper soaked in bitumen and dusted with
ceramic/sand. Our version may be paper based, or newer products seem to
be based on glass fibre with bitumen. Ours tend to be sold as strips -
not sure about american ones.

A bit like mosaic tiles, only on a larger scale - big sheets that look
like half-a-dozen roofing tiles.

Thanks

Do they still use them - and why? Lack of clay to make clay tiles? They seem
as weak as felt but as labour intensive as tiles to install (well almost).

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-08-21, Tim Watts wrote:

[1] Proper asphalt shingles are paper soaked in bitumen and dusted with
ceramic/sand. Our version may be paper based, or newer products seem to
be based on glass fibre with bitumen. Ours tend to be sold as strips -
not sure about american ones.

A bit like mosaic tiles, only on a larger scale - big sheets that look
like half-a-dozen roofing tiles.

Thanks

Do they still use them - and why? Lack of clay to make clay tiles? They
seem as weak as felt but as labour intensive as tiles to install (well
almost).

Yes, and cost. They're very cheap, and the roof structure is cheaper,
too. A lot of American houses I've seen built (at least in Pennsylvania;
my parents live there. I've been going on and off for over 30 years)
are effectively sheds - wood frames, power nailed together covered in
siding with asphalt shingle roofs. They're not designed to last.

Very interesting - thanks.

I suppose in the pioneer times, labour was cheap but materials were
expensive if not local - except for lumber which is everywhere.

I really like the gambrel roof (Amityville connotations notwithstanding) -
especially on small wooden buildings.

Now I've looked into it I noticed a couple of gambrels in Battle in East
Sussex - with clay tiles. Cannot get close enough to see how they did the
pitch change joint.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:13:14 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Now I've looked into it I noticed a couple of gambrels in Battle in East
Sussex - with clay tiles. Cannot get close enough to see how they did
the pitch change joint.

My flat in Bristol had a sort gambrel roof. The top section was
nearly horizontal though and zinc covered, the sides almost vertical
and tiled. The join had lead flashing dressed under the zinc which
was dressed over the end of the boards. The lead was then dressed
over the top edge of the tiles.

Could you not work out how to get decent sized images of the plans
from the site you orginally posted a link to either?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design:

http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content.../storage-shed-

interior-
design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof-
f1yvoejt.jpg

The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the
interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section?

Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of
lead on any picture I have seen.

I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness.

I suppose that they use asphalt shingles that will conform to the change
in contour.

AWEM

http://www.ecodeckingsystems.com/ESspec.html

Rather interesting - and available. Synthetic polymer "slates" - and
formable with a hot air gun.

Twice the price of concrete tiles, but then I do not need a huge number nor
do I want to build a shed structure than can cope with 1/2 ton of tiles on
the roof!

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

I wonder if that *form on site* zinc sheet would adapt.

/\________/ obviously won't fold readily by hand but they might have
devised a technique. You could ask:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:04:14 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
I really fancy a gambrel roof, probably adapted from this design: http://www.sfallstars.com/wp-content...shed-interior- design-custom-built-wood-barn-storage-building-with-gambrel-roof- f1yvoejt.jpg The question is - how the hell do they tile them? What do they do at the interface between the pitched roof section and the near vertical section? Flashing would seem to be the way, but I have never observed a band of lead on any picture I have seen. I would probably use a fibre cement tile for lightness. -- Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/ http://www..sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal coverage Reading this on the web? See: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Usenet

It’s just a simple mansard roof, in other words two separate roof slopes with a lead apron top of the lower roof and under the bottom of the higher roof. Nothing spectacular, quite simple to do.