Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to restring a Metallophone?

Hi all
I recently bought this metallophone - like a xylophone but with
suspended round metal bars instead of plates on rubber:

http://www.nicorp.co.uk/download/DSCF2367.JPG
http://www.nicorp.co.uk/download/DSCF2369.JPG

The thing needs a good clean, and two of the pipes have been strung in the
wrong order(!). I would like to strip it down and restring it. I can guess a
little about how this might be done; linen cord maybe, tensioend with
something like a Spanish Wndlass and held in with eg. a blob of epoxy on the
rear. But it's the sort of thing that I can imagine a few pointers would
help, and (to my surprise) I haven't been able to find any instructions on
the web for this sort of construction.

Any pointers or experience?

Cheers
Jon N