Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O.T. Children (and bigger) screaming ...

Today, I was out in the back garden doing a bit of DIY (so not totally O.T.
!) and at the house across the other side of the field, was some children
playing in the garden. One in particular - it sounded like a youngish girl -
screamed almost continuously. And I'm talking like blood-curdling screams
here ... I get the same thing when a particular set of people visit my
neighbours. They also have a young girl that screams in a similar way. On
the TV, I see much older girls doing the same thing on their ****y-headed
Friday and Saturday night outings. Presumably, these are the kids from a few
years ago who were doing it, now grown up. I also hear them in the village
here late at night.

So, what has happened to the last couple of generations of parents, that
they have let this become the norm? Do they not understand that screaming is
a sign of extreme distress, meaning "I need help ! Fast ! Anyone ! Thirty
years ago, if I heard a child screaming in the way that they do now, I would
have gone running to see what was wrong. Fallen in water ? Broken their leg
? Being abducted ? Likewise, with older girls late at night. Being robbed ?
Being attacked ? Boyfriend being beaten up by a gang ?

Now, it wouldn't occur to me that the screamer was in distress (except
perhaps right in the back of my mind as I come from a generation where it
did mean something bad) and my normal reaction would be to ignore it. So, if
a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do they do
now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a hard-wired
response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one is probably
going to take any notice, and come running ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Arfa Daily
wrote:
[...]

they'll get out their phone and tell Facebook all about it.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article , Arfa Daily
Now, it wouldn't occur to me that the screamer was in distress (except
perhaps right in the back of my mind as I come from a generation where it
did mean something bad) and my normal reaction would be to ignore it.
So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ... :-\

they'll get out their phone and tell Facebook all about it.

While using the camera to take the video for Youbend later.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ley_and_Kayla/

You are correct. Listen to this one scream.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Sorry 27min 26 seconds.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:
On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Which you carry with you at all times to show to the police when they
finally turn up and arrest you. Sorry, the cynicism pills are kicking in
again.

I even worry about being on the bus with only one female passenger
nowadays, and I'm normally in the cab behind a screen.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/03/2013 04:42 PM, alan wrote:
On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

However any mother can move a known violent drunk into her home and call
him a step-day with no checks whatsoever!

On the subject of screaming, the youngest boy next door does it
regularly because his older brother deliberately antagonises him by
taking stuff away. His mother does absolutely nothing about it, so
raising one bully and one victim.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan" wrote in message
On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Yes indeed.
I once saw a kid fall off his bike. He was on the footpath of course and
looked hurt.
I did not know what to do, I dare not touch him.
Fortunately a car driven by a nurse pulled up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan
writes
On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do
they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one
is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Sorry. A child's needs will come before any concerns I may have on that
front. (But yes I am enhanced-CRB checked.)

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:24:53 +0100, Arfa Daily wrote:

One in particular - it sounded like a youngish girl - screamed almost
continuously. And I'm talking like blood-curdling screams here ...

Normally it's squeals... I was going to say that the "I need help
NOW!" scream (from male or female) is very different to play squeals
or the "I'm wetting myself over that new handbag" screams of delight.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 16:42:40 +0100, alan wrote:

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Sad but with some truth. Being a bloke (and not a priest) I'd
slightly less concerned about helping a boy than I would a girl.
Particularly if there were no other witnesses about.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Bradley_and_K
ayla/

You are correct. Listen to this one scream.

Jeezsus that made me scream ..

Waay to young to be on the roads by themselves;!!!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John Williamson
wrote:
alan wrote:
On 03/08/2013 14:24, Arfa Daily wrote:

So, if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what
do they do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a
hard-wired response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no
one is probably going to take any notice, and come running ...

Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Which you carry with you at all times to show to the police when they
finally turn up and arrest you. Sorry, the cynicism pills are kicking in
again.

Yes, I keep mine in my wallet.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:24:53 +0100
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Today, I was out in the back garden doing a bit of DIY (so not
totally O.T. !) and at the house across the other side of the field,
was some children playing in the garden. One in particular - it
sounded like a youngish girl - screamed almost continuously. And I'm
talking like blood-curdling screams here ... I get the same thing
when a particular set of people visit my neighbours. They also have a
young girl that screams in a similar way. On the TV, I see much older
girls doing the same thing on their ****y-headed Friday and Saturday
night outings. Presumably, these are the kids from a few years ago
who were doing it, now grown up. I also hear them in the village here
late at night.

snip

We hear them every time we are in the supermarket, from several
aisles away, and they make my ears hurt. The wife scowls at them if
she's close to them, and they shut up!

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I know. Also why do people let their dogs rule them instead of the other
way around? We have a couple around here that yap all the time and it seems
the people who own them merely say, stop that charlie or whatever. I got so
annoyed during the hot weather listening to theis ineffective interplay,
that I walked down the garden to where the sound was coming from a couple
of doors away, did my best dog bark sound, which paused tthe yapping staring
in the general direction and said very firmly, charlie, no,.

Charlie went off and ran indoors. Nobody said a word to me. I guess that is
any Christmas invite shot then....
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

?

Now, it wouldn't occur to me that the screamer was in distress (except
perhaps right in the back of my mind as I come from a generation where it
did mean something bad) and my normal reaction would be to ignore it. So,
if a child or older person is really in distress these days, what do they
do now ? I rather suspect that they still scream, as it's a hard-wired
response, but the bad thing is now going to happen, as no one is probably
going to take any notice, and come running ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

John Williamson wrote:
alan wrote:
[...]

I was chaperoned when I changed the hand drier in the boys toilets in a
school:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 3 August 2013 19:07:53 UTC+1, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:
Now that children's charities have established that 1 in 10 men are
potential child molesters it would be very unwise to help any child in
trouble unless you are registered to work with children with the
appropriate criminal records check paperwork.

Sorry. A child's needs will come before any concerns I may have on that
front. (But yes I am enhanced-CRB checked.)

So am I, and I wouldn't risk jeopardising that, so I will put my needs before a child's.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 00:55:09 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:24:53 +0100
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Snip

snip

We hear them every time we are in the supermarket, from several
aisles away, and they make my ears hurt. The wife scowls at them if
she's close to them, and they shut up!

I was in Asda, Crewe today, and some thick moron was actually
encouraging her little entity to scream. Every yell was met with
enthusiastic praise.

Personally I blame the health and safety culture. Antisocial morons
like that wouldn't have lived long enough to breed at one time.

It's difficult to blame the parents really though, any kind of
response to stimulii by their offspring probably merits a gold star in
the family pizza menu.

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 18:32:37 +0100
Archibald wrote:

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 00:55:09 +0100, Davey
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 14:24:53 +0100
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Snip

snip

We hear them every time we are in the supermarket, from several
aisles away, and they make my ears hurt. The wife scowls at them if
she's close to them, and they shut up!

I was in Asda, Crewe today, and some thick moron was actually
encouraging her little entity to scream. Every yell was met with
enthusiastic praise.

I hope that the child continues to scream and scream and scream all
the way home and beyond, then maybe the parent might understand that it
is not so wonderful after all.
Or not.
--
Davey.