Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating under 2nd floor, overhanging open air

Like someone else who posted here recently, I have a bit of second floor
which slightly overhangs the rest of the building (essentially in front
of the front door, making a covered but open porch area). I have
seriously considered a boiling oil hatch, but think I might leave that
for another day.

Currently I just have the joists there. I need to insulate it, and
cover it up, so what I was planning to do was:
- Screw some kingspan to the underside of the joists, to ensure the
joists don't act as a cold bridge.
- Screw some ply under the kingspan to cover it.
- Add some additional insulation between the joists, above the kingspan.

In fact I have a bunch of plasterboard backed kingspan offcuts that I
might use here, so would attach it plasterboard side up (so plasterboard
side faces upwards).

Does this sound like a sensible approach?

Piers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Piers" wrote in message
[...]

It needs insulating.
Important too that there are no gaps.
Leave a space and fill with canned foam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Piers writes:
[...]

I lifted the floorboards above my porch, and laid fibreglass loft
insulation on top of the porch ceiling, but it sounds like you don't
have a porch ceiling? If so, do you want the timbers to still be
visible (are they part of the building style/design)? How deep are
they?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:48:18 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Piers , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Like someone else who posted here recently, I have a bit of second floor
which slightly overhangs the rest of the building

- Screw some kingspan to the underside of the joists, to ensure the
joists don't act as a cold bridge.

Insulation and soffits with a low vapour permeability (e.g., rockwool)
are recommended for exposed floors. The use of impermeable materials
can hold water, especially from leaks or spills. Thermal bridging
through the joists is likely to be low; it's more likely to occur in
the walls if they carry up above the bottom of the joists - the outer
leaf suddenly becomes an inner leaf.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/08/2013 20:35, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:48:18 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Piers , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

Like someone else who posted here recently, I have a bit of second floor
which slightly overhangs the rest of the building

- Screw some kingspan to the underside of the joists, to ensure the
joists don't act as a cold bridge.

Insulation and soffits with a low vapour permeability (e.g., rockwool)
are recommended for exposed floors. The use of impermeable materials
can hold water, especially from leaks or spills. Thermal bridging
through the joists is likely to be low; it's more likely to occur in
the walls if they carry up above the bottom of the joists - the outer
leaf suddenly becomes an inner leaf.

Useful comments - thanks. I'd already planned on treating the
external-internal wall as an external wall for its entire height. But
yes, it seems like i should use something permable for insulation and
then to cover.

Insulating a floor GMM[_3_] UK diy 17 December 12th 12 08:31 PM
Insulating between ground floor and first floor? Stephen H UK diy 10 January 1st 12 12:10 PM
Lintels overhanging a newly made door way? Tony Graham UK diy 10 January 18th 11 12:28 PM
Insulating an open ceiling room Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 0 October 13th 10 01:28 AM
Is there a good way to glue cleats to the underside of an overhanging box lid? Owen Lawrence Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 01:02 AM