Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Secondhand fire ecapes and balconies

Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have
them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 2, 2013 3:39:38 PM UTC+1, norm wrote:
Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have

them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.

Be careful with second hand balconies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...collapses.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 08:12:30 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Be careful with second hand balconies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...collapses.html

****ty old sheet-metal 'railings' by the looks of them; WW2 vintage,
so not surprising something gave way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
wrote:

Be careful with second hand balconies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...date-falls-dea
th-balcony-railing-collapses.html

****ty old sheet-metal 'railings' by the looks of them; WW2 vintage,
so not surprising something gave way.

You need men with vans who regularly get onto demolition sites:-)

I provide storage space for a cabglaze operation. They wanted to extend
their space with a mezzanine and needed steps/safety railing. Took them
about a week to find a set of steps fabricated in 12mm steel sheet with
thick chequer plate steps. The railings came from the same source.

Strangely they seem to have forgotten about the Crittal metal window
frames I requested!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2013 15:39, norm wrote:
Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have
them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.

As most external escape stairs seem to be individually designed and
built to suit the building they are fitted to, I suspect that they are
not readily transferable and most probably go for scrap when the
building is demolished.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

norm wrote:
Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have
them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.

Would you consider fire damaged ones?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday 02 August 2013 17:22 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Strangely they seem to have forgotten about the Crittal metal window
frames I requested!

How big and where are you? I have one frame, that's going to the dump
eventually, in East Sussex. Approx 1.4m wide by 0.8m high, casement and
transom.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On Friday 02 August 2013 17:22 Tim Lamb wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Strangely they seem to have forgotten about the Crittal metal window
frames I requested!

How big and where are you? I have one frame, that's going to the dump
eventually, in East Sussex. Approx 1.4m wide by 0.8m high, casement and
transom.

My wife has a cousin at Robertsbridge but we rarely meet.

I was looking for that sort of size but with the glazing bars giving
small panes for security reasons.

I'm a bit North of St. Albans.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably cannot be certified after removal?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"norm" wrote in message
Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have
them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"norm" wrote in message
Anyone know a source of these? You'd think salvage yards would have
them. Google drawing a bit of a blank.

What height are you hoping to reach and what size balcony?
Nick.