Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Robberies

A local garage has been robbed again as a staff member was cashing up.
Traumatic and risky - Scum got money they didn't earn.

What annoys the hell out of me is why does any business ever need more than
about £50 accessable to burglars. Surely safes with one-way letterboxes
(that I recall using 40 years ago) are still available.

Even my local Homebase proudly displays loads of cash whenever the till is
opened.

Our local chippy has been hit many times.

We have not moved with the times much. I really don't want evil *******s
getting money for nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:07:14 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

A local garage has been robbed again as a staff member was cashing up.
Traumatic and risky - Scum got money they didn't earn.

What annoys the hell out of me is why does any business ever need more
than about £50 accessable to burglars. Surely safes with one-way
letterboxes (that I recall using 40 years ago) are still available.

Indeed. And I have seen garages using them.

I worked at a garage some 43 years ago and we did exactly this (our limit
then was £40 in the till). Excess was put in a cylindrical tin and
dropped down a hole into a safe. The keys to the safe were never on site
exceot during normal working hours, and used at random times to open the
safe.

I was robbed at about 10 p.m. one evening, and they got about £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 18:07, DerbyBorn wrote:
A local garage has been robbed again as a staff member was cashing up.
Traumatic and risky - Scum got money they didn't earn.

What annoys the hell out of me is why does any business ever need more than
about £50 accessable to burglars. Surely safes with one-way letterboxes
(that I recall using 40 years ago) are still available.

The local morrisons now have very visible till safes on all of the
checkouts, the staff post notes directly into the unit from customers -
and it looks like the safe unit has internal gubbins (well, flashing
lights) to verify notes for value and stop forgeries being accepted.

What's in the drawer is for giving change.

Before this, they had a pneumatic tube system shooting canisters about.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 6:26:38 PM UTC+1, Adrian C wrote:
Before this, they had a pneumatic tube system shooting canisters about.

My 'local' Tesco extended its pneumatic tube system all the way under the car park to reach the petrol station.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 18:07, DerbyBorn wrote:
A local garage has been robbed again as a staff member was cashing up.
Traumatic and risky - Scum got money they didn't earn.

What annoys the hell out of me is why does any business ever need more than
about £50 accessable to burglars. Surely safes with one-way letterboxes
(that I recall using 40 years ago) are still available.

Even my local Homebase proudly displays loads of cash whenever the till is
opened.

Our local chippy has been hit many times.

We have not moved with the times much. I really don't want evil *******s
getting money for nothing.

Sometimes, allowing them to get away with money is better than the
alternative. For example, it well established that if cars are too
secure, the owners are likely to get mugged for the keys. Similarly, if
the local chippy fits a money safe, that could lead to violence against
the staff to find out where the key is, even if they really don't know.
Property can be replaced; that is what insurance is for. Injuries can be
for life. Better, perhaps, to fit really good CCTV and hope the
criminals can be identified.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

Sometimes, allowing them to get away with money is better than the
alternative. For example, it well established that if cars are too
secure, the owners are likely to get mugged for the keys. Similarly, if
the local chippy fits a money safe, that could lead to violence against
the staff to find out where the key is, even if they really don't know.
Property can be replaced; that is what insurance is for. Injuries can be
for life. Better, perhaps, to fit really good CCTV and hope the
criminals can be identified.

Colin Bignell

If we all did that crime would be rife.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in
:

Nightjar wrote:

Sometimes, allowing them to get away with money is better than the
alternative. For example, it well established that if cars are too
secure, the owners are likely to get mugged for the keys. Similarly,
if the local chippy fits a money safe, that could lead to violence
against the staff to find out where the key is, even if they really
don't know. Property can be replaced; that is what insurance is for.
Injuries can be for life. Better, perhaps, to fit really good CCTV
and hope the criminals can be identified.

Colin Bignell

If we all did that crime would be rife.

Bill

Surely safer to let crimals know that the crime is futile as there is
little cash available; CCTV is fitted: Smar****er and dyes are used. Surely
they will avoid such a place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:39:37 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Surely safer to let crimals know that the crime is futile as there is
little cash available; CCTV is fitted: Smar****er and dyes are used. Surely
they will avoid such a place.

Most petty criminals are thick and/or on drugs.

A google for 'broke into police station' produces a surprisingly large number of results.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 8:39:37 PM UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Surely safer to let crimals know that the crime is futile as there is
little cash available; CCTV is fitted: Smar****er and dyes are used. Surely
they will avoid such a place.

Most petty criminals are thick and/or on drugs.

A google for 'broke into police station' produces a surprisingly large number of results.

I've seen worse. Burglars who broke into an Army office. They really seemed
to believe that a) the Army don't have guns b) if they did have guns they
would not be loaded c) all the Army can do is call the civilian cops d)
reports of the brutality of redcaps are over rated.

Boy were they wrong on every count.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 20:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Bill Wright wrote in
:

Nightjar wrote:

Sometimes, allowing them to get away with money is better than the
alternative. For example, it well established that if cars are too
secure, the owners are likely to get mugged for the keys. Similarly,
if the local chippy fits a money safe, that could lead to violence
against the staff to find out where the key is, even if they really
don't know. Property can be replaced; that is what insurance is for.
Injuries can be for life. Better, perhaps, to fit really good CCTV
and hope the criminals can be identified.

Colin Bignell

If we all did that crime would be rife.

Bill

Surely safer to let crimals know that the crime is futile as there is
little cash available; CCTV is fitted: Smar****er and dyes are used. Surely
they will avoid such a place.

Only the clever ones and they won't be involved in that sort of crime in
the first place. The thick ones may well think that the staff have some
control over the security measures.

My point is that you need to look at the possible consequences of any
apparently simple solution. Some years ago I was recruited to a
government think tank looking into future developments of crime and part
of the orientation was telling us of many cases of unintended
consequences, such as the mugging of car owners mentioned above. The
guiding principle was that crimes against property should always be
preferred over crimes against the person.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop worker
says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and accidentally
chucks the oil in the robbers face,

never mind your smart water, that lowlife scum will be easy to spot in
future,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2013 18:27, Gazz wrote:
hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop
worker says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and
accidentally chucks the oil in the robbers face,..

Chip shop worker goes down for GBH.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2013 07:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/07/2013 18:27, Gazz wrote:
..
hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop
worker says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and
accidentally chucks the oil in the robbers face,..

Chip shop worker goes down for GBH.

Colin Bignell

Possibly, but also possibly "spur of the moment; threatened;
self-defence; no pre-meditation; fear"

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote in news:kt53dc$8t3$1@dont-
email.me:

On 29/07/2013 07:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/07/2013 18:27, Gazz wrote:
..
hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop
worker says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and
accidentally chucks the oil in the robbers face,..

Chip shop worker goes down for GBH.

Colin Bignell

Possibly, but also possibly "spur of the moment; threatened;
self-defence; no pre-meditation; fear"

SteveW

Back to the plot though - why don't businesses make more use of things like
time locked safes and secure means of depositing notes so that they are not
left in the till?
Insurers should make it mandatory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/2013 07:57, SteveW wrote:
On 29/07/2013 07:46, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/07/2013 18:27, Gazz wrote:
..
hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop
worker says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and
accidentally chucks the oil in the robbers face,..

Chip shop worker goes down for GBH.

Colin Bignell

Possibly, but also possibly "spur of the moment; threatened;
self-defence; no pre-meditation; fear"

Any response has to be proportionate to the threat. Unless the robber
was waving a gun about I doubt that throwing boiling oil in his face
would be classed as proportionate.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2013 18:27, Gazz wrote:

hmmmm.... robber on other side of counter demanding money, chip shop
worker says 'just a sec, i'll get it out the safe' reaches down for a
scoop/ladle/or similar, gets a good scoop of nice hot oil, and
accidentally chucks the oil in the robbers face,

never mind your smart water, that lowlife scum will be easy to spot in
future,

So will the worker. Plot 9 in the local cemetery with a really nice
gravestone paid for by public subscription - after he is murdered in
prison, where he is serving a long sentence for GBH, by people who
sympathise with the original robber.

Andy