Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elfensafety?

Younger daughter and partner have managed to break the locking buttons
on the carrying handle of their MaxiCosi Pebble car seat.

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Replacing the buttons is a simple task and they can only fit one way
round as they are handed.

MaxiCosi refuses to provide me with the parts as the repair is listed in
their manual as a safety-related issue. The rationale is that if it is
done incorrectly the seat (and contents) could be dropped. As it is out
of warranty (bought second hand) the seat has to be returned to them at
a charge of GBP 39.99, including carriage. It might be possible to get
e.g. Halfords to do it, but I don't suppose that would be cheap either.

Bugger.
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 12:26, Ramsman wrote:
[...]

More likely to be a condition of their insurance, as the consequence of
dropping the product, or the product failing an a RTC could potentially
lead to the death of a child...

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:43:37 +0100, Toby wrote:

More likely to be a condition of their insurance, as the consequence of
dropping the product, or the product failing an a RTC could potentially
lead to the death of a child...

It certainly opens up holes for the lawyers to crawl through. TBH I'd
be a bit leary of buying a second hand car seat unless I knew it's
history very well. Like never been involved in a crash. The forces
exerted by a child on the seat, it's fixings and straps can be very
high, you don't know if something has been damaged or weakened.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:43:37 +0100, Toby wrote:

More likely to be a condition of their insurance, as the consequence of
dropping the product, or the product failing an a RTC could potentially
lead to the death of a child...

It certainly opens up holes for the lawyers to crawl through. TBH I'd
be a bit leary of buying a second hand car seat unless I knew it's
history very well. Like never been involved in a crash. The forces
exerted by a child on the seat, it's fixings and straps can be very
high, you don't know if something has been damaged or weakened.

Indeed, same principle as a crash helmet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ramsman" wrote in message
[...]

Just a lame excuse to generate work/force you to buy new/they don't have any
parts.
Tell them you have a degree in mechanical engineering. (You will get another
excuse)

Scum bag trick. ANY repair work is potetially dangerous.
You can buy parts to fix your car can't you?

Just Never Ever buy stuff from them again.
Pas the word around so others don't either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mentalguy2k8
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:43:37 +0100, Toby wrote:

More likely to be a condition of their insurance, as the consequence of
dropping the product, or the product failing an a RTC could potentially
lead to the death of a child...

It certainly opens up holes for the lawyers to crawl through. TBH I'd
be a bit leary of buying a second hand car seat unless I knew it's
history very well. Like never been involved in a crash. The forces
exerted by a child on the seat, it's fixings and straps can be very
high, you don't know if something has been damaged or weakened.

Indeed, same principle as a crash helmet.

And a seat belt
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:
[...]

There's loads of 2nd hand pebbles on ebay going for around £40, although if
they are that flimsy, I'd be wary of getting another one, especially
considering their customer service attitude.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh right
place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:26:57 +0100, "harryagain"
wrote:

Just a lame excuse to generate work/force you to buy new/they don't have any
parts.
Tell them you have a degree in mechanical engineering. (You will get another
excuse)

Scum bag trick. ANY repair work is potetially dangerous.
You can buy parts to fix your car can't you?

Just Never Ever buy stuff from them again.
Pas the word around so others don't either.

****'s sake; I agree with Harry.
This is getting too damned often.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

Just Never Ever buy stuff from them again.

Again?
He never bought from them in the first place; it is a second hand seat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

I'd be wary of getting another one,

What another *second-hand* baby seat?

especially considering their customer service attitude.

He didn't get it from them; he is not a customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The lesson is to never, ever, buy a secondhand safety related item like
this unless you know the seller well and quite sure it has not been
subjected to an accident.

--
Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/07/2013 19:31, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh right
place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

Sounds like an excuse for buying a 3-D printer!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh
right
place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

Sounds like an excuse for buying a 3-D printer!

It maybe that they are designed to break as an indicator that the seat
has suffered a shock.
If that is the case then they shouldn't supply spares to anyone who
won't write off a damaged seat.
If that isn't the case then they should fix it under warranty/sale of
goods (if the original purchaser takes it back).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote:

It maybe that they are designed to break as an indicator that the seat has
suffered a shock.

Maybe. But we were told that the current users of the seat had broken the
locking buttons. They should know how it happened, and whether they just
need the /handle/-locking buttons fixed, or the whole seat replaced.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just a lame excuse to generate work/force you to buy new/they don't have any
parts.
Tell them you have a degree in mechanical engineering. (You will get another
excuse)

Scum bag trick. ANY repair work is potetially dangerous.
You can buy parts to fix your car can't you?

Just Never Ever buy stuff from them again.
Pas the word around so others don't either.

****'s sake; I agree with Harry.
This is getting too damned often.

If you were running a business, and part of your liability insurance
conditions were you could only supply certain parts to trained third party
repair agents, what you do in this circumstance?

--
Toby... remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh right
place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

No, they're not just simple buttons. More complicated than that or I'd
have been able to fix them myself. There's no material behind where the
protruberance needs to be. As for carving new parts, it would be easier
to pay the 39.99! (BTW, Thunderbird's spell checker doesn't like the
word 'protruberance')

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 13:19, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote:

It maybe that they are designed to break as an indicator that the seat has
suffered a shock.

Maybe. But we were told that the current users of the seat had broken the
locking buttons. They should know how it happened, and whether they just
need the /handle/-locking buttons fixed, or the whole seat replaced.

The locking mechanisms in question merely hold the carrying handle in
any of three positions and would not be subjected to other loads.
MaxiCosi's CYA policy appears to be in case the handle fails while the
seat is being carried by hand with a baby in it rather than when it's in
position in a vehicle.
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and
a coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The
part that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh
right place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

No, they're not just simple buttons. More complicated than that or I'd
have been able to fix them myself. There's no material behind where the
protruberance needs to be. As for carving new parts, it would be easier
to pay the 39.99! (BTW, Thunderbird's spell checker doesn't like the
word 'protruberance')

Does it like 'protuberance'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself and
a coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The
part that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in teh
right place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

No, they're not just simple buttons. More complicated than that or I'd
have been able to fix them myself. There's no material behind where the
protruberance needs to be. As for carving new parts, it would be easier
to pay the 39.99! (BTW, Thunderbird's spell checker doesn't like the
word 'protruberance')

Does it like 'protuberance'?

Yes, but I've always(!) spelt it with the extra 'r'. The SOED has both
spellings. The entry is:

protruberance /prəˈtru:b(ə)r(ə)ns/ noun. E19.
[ORIGIN Alt., prob. infl. by protrude.]
A protuberance.

which leads to:

protuberance /prəˈtju:b(ə)r(ə)ns/ noun. M17.
[ORIGIN from protuberant: see -ance.]
1 That which is protuberant; a rounded projection or swelling. M17.
solar protuberance = prominence 4.
2 The quality or condition of being protuberant. L17.
Also protuberancy noun M17.

--
Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2013 15:52, Tim Streater wrote:

Ramsman wrote:

Dismantling reveals the mechanism to be the moulded button itself

and a
coil spring that holds it in one of three possible positions. The part
that bears against the spring has broken off on both buttons.

Can you pasa bolt through the button to produce a protruberance in

teh right
place? Or make new buttons by carving bits of a hard wood?

No, they're not just simple buttons. More complicated than that or I'd
have been able to fix them myself. There's no material behind where
the protruberance needs to be. As for carving new parts, it would be
easier to pay the 39.99! (BTW, Thunderbird's spell checker doesn't
like the word 'protruberance')

Thass because there's no such word. It's spelt:

protuberance

which is what I though and confirmed by going "right mouse - Look up in
dictionary" on the word.

See my previous post. If it's good enough for the SOED, it's good enough
for me.
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-07-27, soup wrote:
Phil L wrote:

I'd be wary of getting another one,

What another *second-hand* baby seat?

especially considering their customer service attitude.

He didn't get it from them; he is not a customer.

He's a potential customer. Now he's a ****ed off non-customer, who is
busily spreading the word that Maxi-Cosi are a bunch of ****s.

They are, however an *insured* cunch of bunts.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:

[...]

Funnily enough, not everyone has the "right mouse - Look up in
dictionary" option. A right pain on my phone - I always seem to forget
the mouse. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 12:49:31 +0000 (UTC), Toby
wrote:

If you were running a business, and part of your liability insurance
conditions were you could only supply certain parts to trained third party
repair agents, what you do in this circumstance?

Kick out the insurance company, for a start. Who needs a **** like
that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If you were running a business, and part of your liability insurance
conditions were you could only supply certain parts to trained third party
repair agents, what you do in this circumstance?

Kick out the insurance company, for a start. Who needs a **** like
that?

The problem isn't so much the insurance companies as ambulance-chasing
lawyers and ridiculous court judgements, started AFAIK in the US. People
there sued manufacturers such as Stanley when they hit their thumbs with
a hammer, because the instructions didn't tell them not to. Light
aircraft makers Piper and Cessna were successfully sued because the
manuals didn't tell owners not to run out of fuel.

MaxiCosi's way of thinking seems to be that they would be liable if
somebody did something that was unsafe to one of their products. Hence
the CYA policy. Daft, I call it.

There seems to be a serious lack of personal responsibility at present.
Take that recent case where a girl was murdered by her violent
boyfriend. Her father blamed 'the authorities' for not looking after
her. What the hell was he doing to protect her? Surely it's up to the
family in the first place? Some years ago one of my daughters was moving
out of a rather possessive boyfriend's flat, so I went with her just in
case. My child, my responsibility.

--
Peter