Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 4-wire old-style brass toggle light switch?

In the middle of decorating the hallway, and I've just noticed that the
lightswitch for the stairs light is four-wire, since there's three
switches controlling the same light.

Trouble is, I want to replace all the switches with old-styley brass
toggle ones. In fact, I _have_ replaced all the others... And the ones
I've got are only three-wire.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-1-ga...brushed-brass-
round-edge/74698

So. Anybody know of any similar 4-wire switches?

Ta!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2013 12:37, Adrian wrote:
In the middle of decorating the hallway, and I've just noticed that the
lightswitch for the stairs light is four-wire, since there's three
switches controlling the same light.

Trouble is, I want to replace all the switches with old-styley brass
toggle ones. In fact, I _have_ replaced all the others... And the ones
I've got are only three-wire.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-1-ga...brushed-brass-
round-edge/74698

So. Anybody know of any similar 4-wire switches?

You need Volex part number VX1130RBB 1 gang intermediate toggle switch
brushed brass round edge.

http://www.electrika.com/Custom/sear...40&C=AAK&D=AAC

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 19, 2013 12:37:27 PM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
In the middle of decorating the hallway, and I've just noticed that the
lightswitch for the stairs light is four-wire, since there's three
switches controlling the same light.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-1-ga...brushed-brass-
round-edge/74698

TLC's Victorian Brass range looks fairly similar and has an intermediate toggle switch
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CEXVT7.html

Other options
polished brass flat plate
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KN10B.html
brushed brass flat plate
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KN10BB.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:52:50 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

You need Volex part number VX1130RBB 1 gang intermediate toggle switch
brushed brass round edge.

http://www.electrika.com/Custom/sear...40&C=AAK&D=AAC

That's _precisely_ it... Ta.

Now the hunt starts for somebody to sell me one...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 04:57:56 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

TLC's Victorian Brass range looks fairly similar and has an intermediate
toggle switch http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CEXVT7.html

Thanks - I found that after the initial post - it's a Varilight switch
available in a stack of places. Some pics make the Victorian brass look
similar to the brushed, others make it look very different. Varilight
also do a brushed range, but no intermediate in that...

It's my back-up option if I can't find the Volex that Nightjar pointed me
to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:52:50 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

You need Volex part number VX1130RBB 1 gang intermediate toggle switch
brushed brass round edge.

http://www.electrika.com/Custom/sear...40&C=AAK&D=AAC

That's _precisely_ it... Ta.

Now the hunt starts for somebody to sell me one...

Volex isn't - or rather wasn't once - exclusive to Screwfix. So it's just
a question of checking with your local wholesalers. But they are a UK
company, so they might even help out direct.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2013 13:00, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:52:50 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

You need Volex part number VX1130RBB 1 gang intermediate toggle switch
brushed brass round edge.

http://www.electrika.com/Custom/sear...40&C=AAK&D=AAC

That's _precisely_ it... Ta.

Now the hunt starts for somebody to sell me one...

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:55:33 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:37:27 +0000, Adrian wrote:

So. Anybody know of any similar 4-wire switches?

Well, Screwfix certainly don't.

I am sorry that you have had to email Screwfix Direct regarding the
number of wires in our Switches.

The Screwfix Direct Product Support team has advised that we are only
able to supply the information as shown in our latest catalogues and
on our website at www.screwfix.comhttp://www.screwfix.com/ and
suggested that you should seek the advise of a qualified Electrician
in regards to the suitability of any replacement Switches.

Once again please accept my apologies that on this occasion we were
not able to assist.

FFS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2013 15:00, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:55:33 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.

It is always nice to see an optimist in the DIY ranks.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:55:33 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.

Tried Ebay?

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:04:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.

Tried Ebay?

Yep. Sent messages to a couple of eBay sellers who list similar-but-not-
quite, too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.

Well take a picnic. Make a day of it. Who knows, there might be a brass
band playing in the park.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:55:33 +0100, Nightjar wrote:

City Electrical Factors are Volex stockists. If your nearest branch
doesn't have it in stock (it would surprise me if they have), they
should be able to order it for you.

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to find
one online. If I can't, then I'll have a chat with the local DIY shop,
see if they can order me one in.

Tried Ebay?

Yes, you could get an 'orse and ride him in.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:47:53 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to

find
one online.

Well take a picnic. Make a day of it. Who knows, there might be a brass
band playing in the park.

B-)

I was thinking 30 miles just about gets me to the nearest CEF let
alone back again...

CEF do have a website and they list the one required but they don't
appear to have a web shop. I think they deliver for free but I'd
expect 30 miles to be outside that area. Worth a phone call?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 20:28:12 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It's a 30-mile round trip to the nearest CEF - so I was hoping to
find one online.

Well take a picnic. Make a day of it. Who knows, there might be a brass
band playing in the park.

B-)

Well, quite. I think people from there come here for a nice day out, not
vice-versa. People from round these parts have been known to come out in
hives at the thought of The Big City.

I was thinking 30 miles just about gets me to the nearest CEF let alone
back again...

grin

CEF do have a website and they list the one required but they don't
appear to have a web shop. I think they deliver for free but I'd expect
30 miles to be outside that area. Worth a phone call?

I'm heading to town tomorrow anyway, so will just stop by.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:43:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

So. Anybody know of any similar 4-wire switches?

Well, Screwfix certainly don't.

I am sorry that you have had to email Screwfix Direct regarding the
number of wires in our Switches.

The Screwfix Direct Product Support team has advised that we are only
able to supply the information as shown in our latest catalogues and
on our website at www.screwfix.comhttp://www.screwfix.com/ and
suggested that you should seek the advise of a qualified Electrician
in regards to the suitability of any replacement Switches.

Once again please accept my apologies that on this occasion we were
not able to assist.

FFS.

And CEF's initial response was "Oh, Volex are really difficult to deal
with. It's probably Screwfix only."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:43:54 +0000, Adrian wrote:

So. Anybody know of any similar 4-wire switches?

Well, Screwfix certainly don't.

I am sorry that you have had to email Screwfix Direct regarding the
number of wires in our Switches.

The Screwfix Direct Product Support team has advised that we are
only able to supply the information as shown in our latest
catalogues and on our website at
www.screwfix.comhttp://www.screwfix.com/ and suggested that you
should seek the advise of a qualified Electrician in regards to
the suitability of any replacement Switches.

Once again please accept my apologies that on this occasion we were
not able to assist.

FFS.

And CEF's initial response was "Oh, Volex are really difficult to deal
with. It's probably Screwfix only."

CEF are a waste of space, even when dealing with trade customers.

Call your local wholesalers and see who stocks volex. They will be able to
order the switch for you. Sure they will want money up front but it can be
done via a credit card, but for such a small order expect a week or two
wait.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:50:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

And CEF's initial response was "Oh, Volex are really difficult to deal
with. It's probably Screwfix only."

CEF are a waste of space, even when dealing with trade customers.

We shall see. They say they're going to investigate and try to order one
for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:50:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

And CEF's initial response was "Oh, Volex are really difficult to
deal with. It's probably Screwfix only."

CEF are a waste of space, even when dealing with trade customers.

We shall see. They say they're going to investigate and try to order
one for me.

If all else fails I order one for you one and post it to you. Assuming my
wholesaler still stocks Volex (it's not a popular brand).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:36:32 +0100, ARW wrote:

If all else fails I order one for you one and post it to you. Assuming
my wholesaler still stocks Volex (it's not a popular brand).

Thanks, Adam. They have one on order for me, allegedly - we'll see if
anything comes of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:49:16 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:36:32 +0100, ARW wrote:
If all else fails I order one for you one and post it to you. Assuming
my wholesaler still stocks Volex (it's not a popular brand).

Thanks, Adam. They have one on order for me, allegedly - we'll see if
anything comes of it.

....and it did. Collected & fitted today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:49:16 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 17:36:32 +0100, ARW wrote:
If all else fails I order one for you one and post it to you.
Assuming my wholesaler still stocks Volex (it's not a popular
brand).

Thanks, Adam. They have one on order for me, allegedly - we'll see if
anything comes of it.

...and it did. Collected & fitted today.

You fitted 3 of them or did eternal september have a fit and install two of
them for you:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 17:37:03 +0100, ARW wrote:

You fitted 3 of them or did eternal september have a fit and install two
of them for you:-)

AIOE is a pain in the arse sometimes. Or maybe it's my somewhat dicky
rural narrowishband connection...