Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing imperial conduit, and trunking

Hi

Does anyone know from whence can be obtained the screws for earthing imperial conduit back boxes? They have a slightly raised part of the back face and a tapping to accept a screw.

It might be 2BA or would that be the faceplate screws?

Also, any supplier of PVC trunking (50mm +) in 2m lengths by mail order? Screwfix only do expensive multipacks by mail order; individual lengths are in store only. I don't want have to get it home on the bus.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Does anyone know from whence can be obtained the screws for earthing
imperial conduit back boxes? They have a slightly raised part of the
back face and a tapping to accept a screw.

It might be 2BA or would that be the faceplate screws?

They are indeed BA. You'll find BA thread dimensions online, so just
measure the hole. Ebay is a good source of such things in small quantities.

--
*When chemists die, they barium.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know from whence can be obtained the screws for earthing
imperial conduit back boxes? They have a slightly raised part of the back
face and a tapping to accept a screw.

It might be 2BA or would that be the faceplate screws?

Those holes are to fix an earthing socket. I did buy a load some years
ago. The raised bit is so that the fixing screw sits flush with the back
of the box. This fixing screw is supplied as part of the earthing kit. A
good wholesaler who stocks conduit would be my first point of call.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
It might be 2BA or would that be the faceplate screws?

I am not sure, but I suspect that the earth screws are 2BA and the faceplate
screws are 4BA.
Want me to ask the old one at work in the morning for you?

Yes please!

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
Those holes are to fix an earthing socket. I did buy a load some years
ago. The raised bit is so that the fixing screw sits flush with the back
of the box. This fixing screw is supplied as part of the earthing kit.

The earting socket ties in with what I have read elsewhere. Unfortunately (a) this conduit and the boxes are buried in situ (b) the installers left several boxes completely unearthed.

This is a concrete slab building so I suspect the builders put the conduit in and then poured the roof over it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:
Also, any supplier of PVC trunking (50mm +) in 2m lengths by mail order? How far do you have to go to get home?

About 7 miles.

I would take a knife with me and cut it up outside the shop to take home, but nowadays that's probably get me arrested for carrying an offensive weapon.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Well it's 2BA:-)

Ta. Now off ebay-browsing.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Well it's 2BA:-)

Ta. Now off ebay-browsing.

Owain

Probably your best bet. I doubt many wholesalers would have them - conduit
went metric a very long time ago.

--
*No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver,purple

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wrote:
Also, any supplier of PVC trunking (50mm +) in 2m lengths by mail order?
Screwfix only do expensive multipacks by mail order; individual lengths
are in store only. I don't want have to get it home on the bus.

To answer my own question, discount-electrical.co.uk do 3 metre lengths and it comes delivered by Tuffnells.

They did not, however, email me to tell me it was on its way, so just as well I was in and saw the lorry.

Owain

Conduit / trunking for outside use JoeJoe UK diy 5 October 20th 12 08:54 PM
Floor trunking Bill[_18_] UK diy 3 August 9th 11 02:01 PM
trunking [email protected] UK diy 1 August 23rd 07 02:17 AM
Blocked Conduit - Need to See in 3/4" Conduit - Fibre optic Camera? Scott Townsend Home Repair 15 October 15th 06 06:35 PM
Earthing Steel Conduit/Trunking?? thankyousam UK diy 10 May 3rd 06 02:56 PM