Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing aphid goo from a car roof.

How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read that
you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic paintwork
and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing alcohol. I think
this is an American term.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I
read that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has
metallic paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is
rubbing alcohol. I think this is an American term.

the goo from aphids is simply sugar*, so warm water is more than enough to
remove it.

*This is why ants are always around blackflies and greenflies, they take
away the sugar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I
read that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has
metallic paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is
rubbing alcohol. I think this is an American term.

the goo from aphids is simply sugar*, so warm water is more than enough to
remove it.

+1, albeit with some detergent. Rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/13 13:39, Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I
read that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has
metallic paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is
rubbing alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Kevin

be VERY careful of acetone. Its veryactive against paint and highly
inflammable.

YOu can buy a special insect gunk, but try a mixture of diesel and
washing up liquid.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2013 15:47, Nick wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I
read that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has
metallic paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is
rubbing alcohol. I think this is an American term.

the goo from aphids is simply sugar*, so warm water is more than
enough to
remove it.

+1, albeit with some detergent. Rubbing alcohol is surgical spirit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

I place an old towel soaked with water (wet kitchen towels or wet baby
wipes for small areas) over the spot so the goo (or bird ****) softens
for 15 minutes helps with removal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It isn't the goo so much as the black deposit left behind. Nothing seems to
shift it. I will try later when it has cooled down. Anything I try now
immediately evapourates. White sprit or meths wont touch it. May be a good
polish will remove it?

On 07/07/13 13:39, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to
secrete goo.
I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Kevin" wrote in message
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to
secrete goo.
I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish.
Brian

Nail varnish remover, and old cellulose car paint is, basically, nail
varnish. It will also crinkle synthetic enamels, as I learnt when I was
painting a coach many years ago. Cellulose paint on top of synthetic
crinkles, the other way round is safe.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not a lime, some sort of birch.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to
secrete goo.
I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Kevin" wrote in message
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
Not a lime, some sort of birch.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to
secrete goo.
I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish.
Brian

Use IPA? what a waste of good beer

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is IPA?

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message ...

Be careful, not always what you think. Is it a lime tree? They seem to
secrete goo.
I'd just use ipa or similar, Acetone is likely to compromise the finish.
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Kevin" wrote in message
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
It isn't the goo so much as the black deposit left behind. Nothing seems to
shift it. I will try later when it has cooled down. Anything I try now
immediately evapourates. White sprit or meths wont touch it. May be a good
polish will remove it?

I found (by accident - wrong bottle!) that bilberry wheel cleaner appears
to shift it with no effort at all. Spray it, leave 30 seconds, wipe it off.

This was mixed 5:1 with water.

This stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261185553702

It's brilliant on wheels, and excellent on the black crap left from tree sap
and/or/ aphids :-)

YMMV

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2013 19:44, Kevin wrote:
What is IPA?

Isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, isopropanol.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 07/07/2013 19:44, Kevin wrote:
What is IPA?

Isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, isopropanol.

Or, in another group I frequent, India Pale Ale. Hic

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message ...
On 07/07/2013 19:44, Kevin wrote:
What is IPA?

Isopropyl alcohol, 2-propanol, isopropanol.

Sometimes.

Wiki he says:

Rubbing alcohol, USP / Surgical spirit, B.P. is a liquid prepared and
used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special
denatured alcohol solution and contains approximately 70 percent by
volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl
alcohol (isopropanol).[1] Individual manufacturers can use their own
"formulation standards" in which the ethanol content usually ranges from
70-99% v/v.[2] In Ireland and the UK, the equivalent skin preparation is
surgical spirit, which is always an ethyl alcohol-isopropyl alcohol
mixture. It is colorless. The melting point is -89 °C. The boiling point
is 82.5 °C.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Wash thoroughly, then a clay bar. Polish afterwards.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

Wash thoroughly, then a clay bar. Polish afterwards.

As it says. It's a special type of clay. Removes grime etc from the paint
without taking off any paint (unlike T-Cut etc which does) and leaves it
smooth as silk. Think you can now get them in Halfords. For those who are
sceptical as it's a US thing, they're absolutely brilliant.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
How can I remove the goo from Aphids after parking under a tree. I read
that you can use nail polish remover (acetone). The car has metallic
paintwork and a lacquer. I also saw rubbing alcohol. What is rubbing
alcohol. I think this is an American term.

I think rubbing alcohol is what Americans masturbate with. Or am I getting
confused with the Bible? I think they use that a lot too.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wash thoroughly, then a clay bar. Polish afterwards.

As it says. It's a special type of clay. Removes grime etc from the paint
without taking off any paint (unlike T-Cut etc which does) and leaves it
smooth as silk. Think you can now get them in Halfords. For those who are
sceptical as it's a US thing, they're absolutely brilliant.

If people want clay then I recommend the "Â3M" blue bars available on ebay
from various Chinese sellers.

Can usually pick it up for under 3 quid delivered if you wait and while
I'm sure it's probably fake it is pretty good. Certainly as good as most
you'll find in halfords for 5 times the price.

Still recommend bilberry though - much less hassle :-) (but then I'm lazy)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
D.M.Chapman wrote:
As it says. It's a special type of clay. Removes grime etc from the
paint without taking off any paint (unlike T-Cut etc which does) and
leaves it smooth as silk. Think you can now get them in Halfords. For
those who are sceptical as it's a US thing, they're absolutely
brilliant.

If people want clay then I recommend the "Â3M" blue bars available on
ebay from various Chinese sellers.

The one I have here is blue and came direct from my 3Ms (Scotch) supplier.
It lasts very well - so what appears to be a small amount goes very far.
A household trigger spray with water and a few drops of washing up liquid
makes a fine lubricant for it. Microporous cloths from the supermarket
fine for after claying - but obviously wash frequently.

Trick is to wash the car and run your hand over the paint, then after
claying. The difference in 'smoothness' is amazing. And as I said, it
doesn't remove any paint. My old car is plain black, and the bar always
ends up brown. My newer one is metallic with a clear coat, and the bar
ends up brown too.

--
*No I haven't stolen it , I'm just a **** driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Trick is to wash the car and run your hand over the paint, then after
claying. The difference in 'smoothness' is amazing. And as I said, it
doesn't remove any paint. My old car is plain black, and the bar always
ends up brown. My newer one is metallic with a clear coat, and the bar
ends up brown too.

If it doesn't remove any paint, how does it achieve smoothing? Like
earth grading? Pushing the peaks into the troughs.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Trick is to wash the car and run your hand over the paint, then after
claying. The difference in 'smoothness' is amazing. And as I said, it
doesn't remove any paint. My old car is plain black, and the bar always
ends up brown. My newer one is metallic with a clear coat, and the bar
ends up brown too.

If it doesn't remove any paint, how does it achieve smoothing? Like
earth grading? Pushing the peaks into the troughs.

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly how it works. But work it does, by
removing any foreign bodies and film etc on the paint while not actually
'touching' it. If you're interested, you'll find a few videos on U-tube -
but you can ignore the advert part of them trying to sell you special
lubricant and cloths, etc.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Removing roof & gutter sealant from bricks F[_2_] UK diy 1 October 1st 11 04:49 PM
Removing conservatory roof glazing bars.. gilli UK diy 1 August 3rd 10 07:36 AM
Removing redundant planks from roof trusses Chris Styles UK diy 10 October 11th 06 04:52 AM
Removing Roof Tar TheScullster UK diy 2 May 29th 05 12:48 PM
Removing stains from house roof shingles Bob Home Repair 4 July 23rd 04 05:07 PM