Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default concrete gate post - "granite chip finish" wossit called??

fixing up a driveway gate set, one post has been snapped & need to replace.

it's (was) abt 4ft maybe 5ft, round top, in a "rolled in chunky grey (granite?) chippings" finish... ;)

Most posts I'm seeing are all "smooth cast" - what's the finish I want called?

TIA

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
fixing up a driveway gate set, one post has been snapped & need to
replace.

it's (was) abt 4ft maybe 5ft, round top, in a "rolled in chunky grey
(granite?) chippings" finish... ;)

Most posts I'm seeing are all "smooth cast" - what's the finish I
want called?

roughcast

These were made about 50 - 60 years ago, you may find one in a reclamation
yard but it's highly unlikely you'll find one new - all new ones are made in
vibrated moulds and are smooth, at least on three sides