Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED sizes

Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2013 19:07, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Manufacturers appear to have learned in the last 22 minutes... :-)

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0-000N00Y250H/

6430 lm

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 06/07/2013 19:07, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Manufacturers appear to have learned in the last 22 minutes... :-)

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0-000N00Y250H/

6430 lm

Thanks for the reference. It's interesting, but their day white chips are
only 100 lumen each, and the warm white ones only half that.
And they appear only to fabricate them into strips of six chips.
I think there's still some way to go before we get any 300 X 300 mm
ceiling panels producing 2000 - 3000 lumens.

Jim Hawkins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 22:52:34 +0100, Jim Hawkins wrote:

It's interesting, but their day white chips are only 100 lumen each, and
the warm white ones only half that. And they appear only to fabricate
them into strips of six chips. I think there's still some way to go
before we get any 300 X 300 mm ceiling panels producing 2000 - 3000
lumens.

Is the "addition" of lumens linear or log? Would an array of 60 chips
@ 50 lm give you 3000 lm total? 60 chips is only an 8 x 8 matrix. 30
mm pitch will fit in a 300 mm square no problem...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder how long they last and how efficient they are though.
Often the area that emits light is very small and getting enough that do
not block each other in a reasonable package I think is still being
experimented with.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"polygonum" wrote in message
On 06/07/2013 19:07, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Manufacturers appear to have learned in the last 22 minutes... :-)

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0-000N00Y250H/

6430 lm

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

polygonum wrote:
On 06/07/2013 19:07, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Manufacturers appear to have learned in the last 22 minutes... :-)

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0-000N00Y250H/

6430 lm

Thanks for the reference. It's interesting, but their day white chips are
only 100 lumen each, and the warm white ones only half that.
And they appear only to fabricate them into strips of six chips.
I think there's still some way to go before we get any 300 X 300 mm
ceiling panels producing 2000 - 3000 lumens.

Jim Hawkins

7830lm from 50mm x 45mm element.

http://www.led-tech.de/en/Chip-On-Bo...8_134_210.html

Even TLC do LED panels, 3546lm 600mm x 600mm

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTMOD45DL.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2013 22:52, Jim Hawkins wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 06/07/2013 19:07, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Looks like we won't be getting LED lamps with a decent
light output - say 2000 or 3000 lumens or so - until the
manufacturers learn how to make LED chips in larger sizes.
Are there problems in doing this ?

Jim Hawkins

Manufacturers appear to have learned in the last 22 minutes... :-)

http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...0-000N00Y250H/

6430 lm

Thanks for the reference. It's interesting, but their day white chips are
only 100 lumen each, and the warm white ones only half that.
And they appear only to fabricate them into strips of six chips.
I think there's still some way to go before we get any 300 X 300 mm
ceiling panels producing 2000 - 3000 lumens.

Jim Hawkins

The link I posted died shortly afterwards - must be site design.
Apologies anyone who got taken to the site's search/home page.

It was actually an array (I missed that to begin with). But assembled as
if a single element. Similar to the one Bill later posted.

Not sure if true single-element designs would have any advantages?
Obviously the manufacturing issues affect price (is it cheaper to make
one huge LED or assemble several smaller - cheaper - ones?). But does it
make any difference to an end user?

--
Rod

wire sizes dbljay7542 Home Repair 17 February 23rd 09 02:06 AM
pz0, pz1, pz2, pz3 sizes Stephen[_6_] UK diy 5 December 22nd 08 11:08 AM
Radiator Sizes Mark UK diy 10 March 22nd 06 07:03 PM
Cable sizes Jim Gregory UK diy 2 December 18th 05 12:44 AM
Cable sizes Andy Wade UK diy 0 December 18th 05 12:31 AM