Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [?] Donating electronic components to a good cause

Over the years I've amassed a large amount of electronic bits and
pieces which I would now like to donate to someone (or a group of
people) who is short of funds but interested in learning about
electronics such that they might make good use of them.

Among the items I'm clearing out are AC-DC power supplies (mainly
wall-wart types), PCBs full of SM and other components, TTL/CMOS logic
and memory IC's, cable and connectors, telephone bits and pieces,
various retired satellite receivers and accessories, and lots of
discrete components.

In the past I've tried offering such items on Freecycle but the
hassle of dealing with incoming e-mails, people arranging to come and
collect and then not coming, and similar time-wasters are a real
nuisance and make this the least favoured option for me. Particularly
annoying are those people who are obviously bidding for an item not
because they have any need for it other than to re-sell it and try to
make some extra cash. I can't be bothered to use E-Bay for similar reasons.

I did offer some items to a local radio club a while ago for their
'Junk Sale' but rather than take everything being offered they were
somewhat 'picky' and only wanted to take what interested them.

I sent several boxes containing resistors, capacitors and transistors
and other electronic devices to the science teacher at a local secondary
school and never even received a 'thank you' from him.

Before I just give up and send all of these bits to the local tip I
thought I'd invite any other suggestions from members of this NG about
who might make use of them. I'm located in S.E. London if that's
significant.

Suggestions please!

TIA - Dave.