Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT For all you cat lovers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fe_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/13 19:38, ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fe_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

I loved it. There was a companion show as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02xcng8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:38:26 +0100, ARW wrote:

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

I found it rather slow and lacking in real content. Very little was
properly explained or illustrated, **** poor for Horizon, a suposedly
Science programme.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2013 21:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I found it rather slow and lacking in real content

This is why I have pretty much ceased to watch Horizon. Once it used to
be really good - I recall a reporter complaining you needed a science
degree to understand it. Something of an exaggeration, but not that much
of one.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:25:38 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 16/06/2013 21:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I found it rather slow and lacking in real content

This is why I have pretty much ceased to watch Horizon. Once it used to
be really good - I recall a reporter complaining you needed a science
degree to understand it. Something of an exaggeration, but not that much
of one.

I have watched a couple of recent episodes of Horizon (not this one,
though). Since I don't have a television I have downloaded them from
the iPlayer and played them on my computer. I have found that, if I
turn the sound off and the subtitles on and then run the programme at
4x speed, what was a slow, repetitious, meandering pile of dumbed-down
nonsense makes a bright, brisk, 15-minute interlude.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:25:38 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

I found it rather slow and lacking in real content

This is why I have pretty much ceased to watch Horizon. Once it used to
be really good - I recall a reporter complaining you needed a science
degree to understand it. Something of an exaggeration, but not that much
of one.

I don't think it's ever really been degree level but certainly a
little above O level sciences. It's a very long time since I
watched/recorded it as it would always be a good programme, it had
got better in the last couple of years but this Cats thing was awful,
OK as a bit of light entertainment with some cuddly cats but not as a
science programme.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they do tend to pad these out of late, and seem also to rely on sound
bytes rather than explanations of stuff.
Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries I say,
where people need to invest some thought processes in understanding the
subject.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:38:26 +0100, ARW wrote:

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

I found it rather slow and lacking in real content. Very little was
properly explained or illustrated, **** poor for Horizon, a suposedly
Science programme.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:07:17 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well they do tend to pad these out of late, and seem also to rely on
sound bytes rather than explanations of stuff.
Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries I
say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2013 08:40, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:07:17 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well they do tend to pad these out of late, and seem also to rely on
sound bytes rather than explanations of stuff.
Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries I
say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do that.

The problem has become that there is too little to occupy the mind in
most so-called documentaries, so concentration is hard!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:40:47 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries

say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do that.

No the problem is the programme makers don't understand the subject
or even have basic scientific backgrounds. I think the only fact I
got from the cuddly cats Horizon was that they can't focus closer
than 25 cm. Nothing else seemed that revolutionary, though having
evidence to explain/support the expected or previously observed
behaviour patterns is nice.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2013 13:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 07:40:47 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries

say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do that.

No the problem is the programme makers don't understand the subject
or even have basic scientific backgrounds. I think the only fact I
got from the cuddly cats Horizon was that they can't focus closer
than 25 cm. Nothing else seemed that revolutionary, though having
evidence to explain/support the expected or previously observed
behaviour patterns is nice.

The four-to-eight weeks of age being critical as to what type of cat
develops was also interesting.

The most unamazing, uninforming bit was "We got a dog and the cat didn't
come back."

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
No the problem is the programme makers don't understand the subject
or even have basic scientific backgrounds. I think the only fact I
got from the cuddly cats Horizon was that they can't focus closer
than 25 cm. Nothing else seemed that revolutionary, though having
evidence to explain/support the expected or previously observed
behaviour patterns is nice.

I'd say it's the same difference as between a normal DIY prog an a good
Grand Designs.

The first is shot within the control of the prog maker and sets out to
show what he wants to see.

The latter is controlled by the actual events - not what the prog maker
wants, and certainly not to his schedule.

In other words, fitting a camera to one cat each day for a month or more -
then repeating with others, and showing only the interesting bits might
have got a more meaningful prog than we did get. After all, this is more
the way most wildlife progs are made.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:07:17 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well they do tend to pad these out of late, and seem also to rely on
sound bytes rather than explanations of stuff.
Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries I
say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do
that.

I would have liked more detail in the TV programme.

I found the GPS tracking facinating and I would love a tracker for my cat to
see where he gets to.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:50:08 +0100, ARW wrote:

Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 08:07:17 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well they do tend to pad these out of late, and seem also to rely on
sound bytes rather than explanations of stuff.
Its been going on for some years. Bring back proper documentaries I
say, where people need to invest some thought processes in
understanding the subject.

The problem is that TV viewers aren't capable of or willing to do that.

I would have liked more detail in the TV programme.

I found the GPS tracking facinating and I would love a tracker for my
cat to see where he gets to.

http://www.trackmycat.com/cat-traq-1.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2013 21:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:38:26 +0100, ARW wrote:

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

I found it rather slow and lacking in real content. Very little was
properly explained or illustrated, **** poor for Horizon, a suposedly
Science programme.

Agree 100%. The undedrlying story was most interesting but the
presentation was rubbish.

--
Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fe_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

The only bit that puzzled me, having worked next door to Shamley Green and
having lived in the area was that they seemed to give the impression
(scenes of driving down narrow muddy lanes) that it's an isolated village.
Whereas it's on a very busy road not far from the Top Gear studio/track and
if you're driving in from Bristol there's no need to go near a single track
road.

And yes it was interesting as was the follow-up "cat diary".

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fe_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

As long as you live in the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F Murtz
writes
ARW wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...22013_The_Secr
et_Life_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

As long as you live in the UK.

Google "uk proxy server". There appears to be at least one free one.
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...fe_of_the_Cat/

Cat cams and GPS to see what they were up to.

I found it a most interesting TV programme.

It was ok but I feel it could have been a lot better. Feel sure I've seen some
of it before, (maybe on The One Show?)

Meanwhile cat lovers could spend weeks watching this:

http://new.livestream.com/FosterKittenCam/Mythbusters

Think 'Big Brother with cats' It runs with a new litter (abandoned / stray
mother) every few months. All are neutered at around 8 -10 weeks and found new
homes. Some even go on to have facebook pages. This latest lot were on camera
less than 24 hours after birth and are now about 5 and a bit weeks old. Perfect
for cat lovers who have allergies.

For Lew and other big boat lovers Bill[_47_] Woodworking 0 June 5th 13 02:26 AM
lactating lovers izurewakaru Electronics Repair 0 March 28th 08 09:54 AM
Adobe Lovers She is Home Repair 0 March 9th 08 01:06 AM
To all BG lovers, everywhere! Broadback UK diy 1 August 11th 07 02:54 PM
Hello, kids lovers! I. Dunjic[_2_] Woodworking 4 August 4th 07 11:55 AM