Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repair rip in leather armchair

I need to repair a six inch jagged rip in the arm rest of a leather sofa. I
think it must have resulted from someone pressing too hard on it as its just
where a persons elbow would rest.
Could anybody recommend the best way to go about this?

I've googled some repair kits which seem to sell for about £20 but are they
any good?

I would like the repair to be as invisible as possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Wesley wrote:
I need to repair a six inch jagged rip in the arm rest of a leather
sofa. I think it must have resulted from someone pressing too hard on
it as its just where a persons elbow would rest. Could anybody
recommend the best way to go about this?

I've googled some repair kits which seem to sell for about £20 but are
they any good?

I would like the repair to be as invisible as possible.

I bought a repair kit off Ebay to fix a split on my car seat. Basically,
you glue a patch of material to the back of the leather - you can poke it
through from the front using sort of cocktail sticks - then fill the crack
left with a filler, and then dye to match (everything needed in the kit).
Made a very tolerable job. I did a second split on the passenger seat by
stripping it down so I could get to the back of the leather - usually
possible with car seats but dunno about furniture - and got a near
invisible repair which I'm very pleased with. I'll re-do the first one
when I get some tuits.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2013 22:53, Wesley wrote:
I need to repair a six inch jagged rip in the arm rest of a leather sofa. I
think it must have resulted from someone pressing too hard on it as its just
where a persons elbow would rest.
Could anybody recommend the best way to go about this?

I've googled some repair kits which seem to sell for about £20 but are they
any good?

I would like the repair to be as invisible as possible.

You could try invisible mend .. a white powder, as other poster said put
a piece of backing materiel behind hole sprinkle this powder in as even
as you can onto that material then you apply an iron ... it melts the
powder to a clear glue .... tear edges all meet OK repair is OK ..

Problem would be if if ripped by elbow pressure, it may go again.

Any haberdashery would sell invisible mend for a couple of pound.
round tube about 1" diam around 4" long the stuff I bought
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
You could try invisible mend .. a white powder, as other poster said put
a piece of backing materiel behind hole sprinkle this powder in as even
as you can onto that material then you apply an iron ... it melts the
powder to a clear glue .... tear edges all meet OK repair is OK ..

The glue supplied with my kit *seemed* to be ordinary white PVA wood glue.
No need for a hot iron. Which I'd be worried might mark the surrounding
leather. The snag is you need to hold the split closed as much as possible
while the glue dries. Not so easy if it's stretched over foam or whatever.
Which is why I dismantled the other seat to do the same sort of repair.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 10:53*pm, "Wesley" wrote:
I need to repair a six inch jagged rip in the arm rest of a leather sofa. *I
think it must have resulted from someone pressing too hard on it as its just
where a persons elbow would rest.

talk about pointy elbows!!

Jim K

leather seat repair? Bob M Home Repair 2 December 19th 08 12:11 AM
Worm in a leather armchair. Auric the gold smuggler UK diy 4 January 12th 07 10:59 AM
how to repair a cut in a leather sofa??? ady2°°5© UK diy 10 December 13th 05 03:16 PM
Re-Connollising Leather / Repair? TonyK UK diy 9 August 22nd 05 12:11 PM
Recycle/repair leather handbags D.M. Procida UK diy 2 September 11th 04 01:17 PM