Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Argos TV - Licence - Big Brother

I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy
an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on to
the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this and
contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She claimed
that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her personal details
and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the sale
of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 02:31, Wesley wrote:
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy
an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on to
the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this and
contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She claimed
that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her personal details
and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the sale
of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

Maybe, but Argos were right - they have to do that, like every other TV
seller in this country. She should take it up with her MP if she feels
this is wrong.

I believe the traditional answer for somebody in her situation is to
give a false name/address. I do wonder if she's now gone online and
bought one to be delivered to her home...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AC AC is offline

Wesley wrote:
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy
an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently,

Really? You really did not know this already?

Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals

TV peripherals? You sure they said that? HDMI lead? DVD player? Never
been asked for personal details for either of those. That sounds like
******** to me. I don't believe a store manager would say that. Mind
you, its been a while, maybe things have changed and Im out of date.

and pass these on to
the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this and
contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She claimed
that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her personal details

So what? I think many laws are wrong in principle. Doesn't mean I can
make other people break them for me.

and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.

No, because there is no lawnmower licence.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the sale
of a £500 TV.

And Argos avoided being fined for not doing their legal duty.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

Well, she didn't. She is an idiot. Or, let's be kind, ignorant of the law.

What point do you think she had? Should have have been able to coerce
the Argos manager in to breaking the law?

--
AC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 03:49, AC wrote:

Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals

TV peripherals? You sure they said that? HDMI lead? DVD player? Never
been asked for personal details for either of those. That sounds like
******** to me. I don't believe a store manager would say that. Mind
you, its been a while, maybe things have changed and Im out of date.

There are some shops that over implement the requirement... perhaps not
the the extent of requiring details for the purchase of an HDMI lead,
but I was certainly asked to provide details once when purchasing a DVD
player in Tesco. A DVD player with no capability to receive TV!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 2:57*am, Clive George wrote:
[...]

Heh, the problem is that if she does that, the guarantee would be
invalid?
How could she have a TV delivered without giving her address?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 05:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
It has however been the law for many many years.

WH Smiths at Edinburgh Airport want to scan your boarding pass before
they will sell you a packet of overpriced sweets. Result, the queue at
the tills took 10x longer as people opened bags etc. to find their
passes. I questioned why - and was informed that the staff had been
told to do it.

I also witnessed at the airport security someone turning up with a M&S
small carrier bag with what looked like a 3 pack of mini trifles and a 3
pack of mini cheesecakes. The security personnel spent a few minutes
checking the ingredients and then confiscated the trifles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Wesley
wrote:
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to
buy an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on
to the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of
this and contested the issue even after the store manager was called.
She claimed that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her
personal details and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not
be required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the
sale of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

It's not just Argos, it's any TV retailer. The principle was to minimise
licence fee evasion.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 02:57, Clive George wrote:
[...]

The other technique is to use the address of someone who has a licence.
Most of us probably know someone with a licence...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wesley wrote:
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy
an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on to
the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this and
contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She claimed
that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her personal details
and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the sale
of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

She might have had a point, but Argos were correct. Any retailer
supplying TV receivers or related equipment, such as a set top box or
video recorder, as in the case that caused me a small amount of grief
with my tenant when Dixons got my address wrong, a USB dongle, must
inform the appropriate authority of the name and address given by the
customer. There are quite severe penalties for not doing so. Unless she
bought a set second hand from a private seller, she would have to supply
her details before taking delivery. Some retailers are less obtrusive
about this than others, but they all have to do it.

The reason is so that The Powers That Be can collect their pound of
flesh for permitting you to receive TV broadcasts. There is no pound of
flesh to be collected for mowing your lawn, so they don't care how many
lawnmowers are sold.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

AC wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

You can buy a fishing rod without a licence....

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 08:33, ARW wrote:
AC wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

There are places you can fish without a licence - even within the UK.
E.g. your own pond.

You can buy a car without a licence.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

polygonum wrote:
On 01/06/2013 08:33, ARW wrote:
AC wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

And you could be buying the TV as a gift or just to watch DVDs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
AC wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

That is not a statutory licence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 08:41, ARW wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 01/06/2013 08:33, ARW wrote:
AC wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

Indeed - but as a gift it would make sense to declare the recipient's
name and address.

How you use it (i.e. whether or not connected such that it can receive a
signal) is indeed a way of avoiding the requirement to pay for a
licence, but a TV inherently has the receiving capability and that is
what puts it into the notifiable items class.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Those are different issues. the tv one dates back to at least the 1970s and
has been put in place to make sure they can feel the collar of non licence
payers.

I can remember all the arguments about flats and lodgers and garden sheds,
caravans and stuff like that at the time.

Of course truly portable tv was very rare in those days.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"alan" wrote in message
On 01/06/2013 05:41, Brian Gaff wrote:
It has however been the law for many many years.

WH Smiths at Edinburgh Airport want to scan your boarding pass before they
will sell you a packet of overpriced sweets. Result, the queue at the
tills took 10x longer as people opened bags etc. to find their passes. I
questioned why - and was informed that the staff had been told to do it.

I also witnessed at the airport security someone turning up with a M&S
small carrier bag with what looked like a 3 pack of mini trifles and a 3
pack of mini cheesecakes. The security personnel spent a few minutes
checking the ingredients and then confiscated the trifles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, there have been arguments over video devices that have no screens of
course. I, for example do get a discount through blindness but if I had no
screens at all capable of allowing a third party to see the picture, there
are still disagreements over whether the thing is payable or not.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"charles" wrote in message
In article , Wesley
wrote:
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to
buy an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on
to the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of
this and contested the issue even after the store manager was called.
She claimed that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her
personal details and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not
be required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the
sale of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

It's not just Argos, it's any TV retailer. The principle was to minimise
licence fee evasion.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I often wondered if those TV detector vans actually worked? Or were
they pure front to scare people?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or a car.

What was wrong with my car at 08:39?

:-) :-):-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:09:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be

required.

No, because there is no lawnmower licence.

You can buy a fishing rod without a licence....

Or a car.

You can buy at TV without a licence. You can't buy a TV without
giving your name and address.

It's donkies years since I did any fishing, but IIRC there isn't a
national single "fishing licence" but permit charges levied by the
various fishing rights holders for any bit of water.

I think you'd be hard pressed to buy a car without giving your name
and address as well, can't be arsed to find a V5 and see what that
wants...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 07:04:04 +0100, alan
wrote:

I also witnessed at the airport security someone turning up with a M&S
small carrier bag with what looked like a 3 pack of mini trifles and a 3
pack of mini cheesecakes. The security personnel spent a few minutes
checking the ingredients and then confiscated the trifles.

That happens once; unlucky.
That happens twice; preparation.
That happens the third time; the security bods get severe ****s.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 10:13, polygonum wrote:
Or a car.

What was wrong with my car at 08:39?

:-) :-):-)

Me not reading it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 08:32, John Williamson wrote:
Wesley wrote:
[...]

Vaguely on topic

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/99...n_fines_a_day/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking The Medway Handyman wrote :
[...]

They were mostly a scare tactic - although they did work, there were
simply not enough of them to catch many culprits.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :
On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:09:22 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be required.

No, because there is no lawnmower licence.

You can buy a fishing rod without a licence....

Or a car.

You can buy at TV without a licence. You can't buy a TV without
giving your name and address.

It's donkies years since I did any fishing, but IIRC there isn't a
national single "fishing licence" but permit charges levied by the
various fishing rights holders for any bit of water.

I think you'd be hard pressed to buy a car without giving your name
and address as well, can't be arsed to find a V5 and see what that
wants...

You are supposed to fill in a tear off bit of the V5 with the new
keepers details, when you sell a vehicle and post it off to DVLA.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 12:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Keeper is not necessarily owner.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2013 06:36, harry wrote:
[...]

Well, duh, that's my point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Or a car.

You could buy a new car without giving your name and address?

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to buy a car without giving your name
and address as well, can't be arsed to find a V5 and see what that
wants...

You are supposed to fill in a tear off bit of the V5 with the new
keepers details, when you sell a vehicle and post it off to DVLA.

Keeper is not necessarily owner.

We're talking new here, surely? The selling garage would normally sort out
the VED so the new car can be driven away - hence they'd need your name
and address. The car maker also wants it in event of a re-call.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to buy a car without giving your name
and address as well, can't be arsed to find a V5 and see what that
wants...

You are supposed to fill in a tear off bit of the V5 with the new
keepers details, when you sell a vehicle and post it off to DVLA.

Keeper is not necessarily owner.

We're talking new here, surely? The selling garage would normally sort out
the VED so the new car can be driven away - hence they'd need your name
and address. The car maker also wants it in event of a re-call.

If I went to the garage to buy a car for my partner, I could quite
easily pay and ask for partner to be put into her name. Thus buying a
car without identifying myself. If I did that in cash, or other
non-personally identifiable method, why would they need my details?

Sure, we would probably assume same address, but you don't have to be
very inventive to come up with scenarios in which that might not be the
case.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 05:57:58 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 01/06/2013 03:49, AC wrote:

Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals

TV peripherals? You sure they said that? HDMI lead? DVD player? Never
been asked for personal details for either of those. That sounds like
******** to me. I don't believe a store manager would say that. Mind
you, its been a while, maybe things have changed and Im out of date.

There are some shops that over implement the requirement... perhaps not
the the extent of requiring details for the purchase of an HDMI lead,
but I was certainly asked to provide details once when purchasing a DVD
player in Tesco. A DVD player with no capability to receive TV!

Probably not Tesco policy, unless there is some covert way to rip
customers off attatched!

Basically staff serving customers seem to develop an air of authourity
inversely proportional to their intelligence. If a DVD and setop box
both produce pictures on a domestic TV isn't it obvious to anyone with
half a brain cell, that logic dictates that if the set top box needs
a licence, then so must the DVD player.

Now anyone with a full working brain cell would know this and just
sell the thing, but such gifted individuals would probably not be
working for Tesco anyway!

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
We're talking new here, surely? The selling garage would normally sort
out the VED so the new car can be driven away - hence they'd need your
name and address. The car maker also wants it in event of a re-call.

If I went to the garage to buy a car for my partner, I could quite
easily pay and ask for partner to be put into her name. Thus buying a
car without identifying myself. If I did that in cash, or other
non-personally identifiable method, why would they need my details?

Sure, we would probably assume same address, but you don't have to be
very inventive to come up with scenarios in which that might not be the
case.

As you could do when buying a new TV.

--
*ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 08:32:19 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Wesley wrote:
[...]

From past experience, the provision of an address is nothing to do
with the warranty. The address given does not have to be accurate or
even a UK address. I have bought a couple of set top boxes at my local
Asda and they are quite happy to accept a Southern Irish address.

The only time I had problems was nominating 10 Downing Street at my
abode. It was then explained to me that Asda could come in for a hefty
fine knowingly taking false information, or not taking the information
in the first place.

I do have a licence incidentally, although I suspect that if someone
wasn't to keen on having one, things would be fairly easy these days.
As few sets have a line timebase now, then the only thing a detector
would have to go for is the tuners local oscillator, a miniscule
signal in an ocean of polluted airwaves.

Incidentally years back I was in the TV trade. A customer on a large
and not too reputable council estate described how she was visited by
the licencing authourity, she admitted them to the house, showed them
the TV and was as helpful as possible. her neighbour threatened to
"kick the head in" of anyone trying to enter his house.

Only one got fined. Any guesses which one?

AB

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
We're talking new here, surely? The selling garage would normally sort
out the VED so the new car can be driven away - hence they'd need your
name and address. The car maker also wants it in event of a re-call.

If I went to the garage to buy a car for my partner, I could quite
easily pay and ask for partner to be put into her name. Thus buying a
car without identifying myself. If I did that in cash, or other
non-personally identifiable method, why would they need my details?

Sure, we would probably assume same address, but you don't have to be
very inventive to come up with scenarios in which that might not be the
case.

As you could do when buying a new TV.

I have always been under the impression that it is the _purchaser's_
name and address that are demanded. Not those of the eventual possessor.

Or a meringue?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Wesley wrote:
[...]

From past experience, the provision of an address is nothing to do
[...]

"her" that was living at "his" house got the fine.

At least my Mum was not charged when found to "be in control" of an
unlicenced TV.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 13:11:19 +0100, Archibald wrote:

Basically staff serving customers seem to develop an air of authourity
inversely proportional to their intelligence. If a DVD and setop box
both produce pictures on a domestic TV isn't it obvious to anyone with
half a brain cell, that logic dictates that if the set top box needs
a licence, then so must the DVD player.

In the case of Tesco et al, the checkout operator will follow what
their screen tells them to do. So if some plonker in the back room
has decided that a DVD player needs TV Licence information to be
gathered they will set the flag on that POS record to (wrongly)
gather that information. The checkout operator may well know that a
DVD player doesn't need that information collected but not to do so
could well land 'em (wrongly) in trouble.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Wesley" wrote in message
o.uk...
I witnessed a heated arguement the other day between a lady wishing to buy
an LCD TV and an Argos employee.

Apparently, Argos are required by law to take the name and address of
anybody purchasing a TV or any TV related peripherals and pass these on to
the licencing authorities. The lady in question was having none of this
and contested the issue even after the store manager was called. She
claimed that, on principle, it was wrong that she had to supply her
personal details and if she wanted to buy a lawnmower, these would not be
required.

In the end she stormed out without making a purchase and Argos lost the
sale of a £500 TV.

I can't help feeling she had a point :-)

That has for ever been the case, dating back to when I was an apprentice in
the trade many a long year ago. I wonder how many on-line sellers actually
forward the names and addresses ? Or how many people buying on line realise
that the sellers are required to do so ? A couple of weeks back, I saw a 'TV
Detector Van' for the first time in a long time, and I couldn't help
wondering if there is anything that they can actually 'detect' these days to
ascertain that there is a TV set running in a house. In days of yore, it was
easy for them to 'zero in' on the dirty line timebase emissions that
extended well up into RF, and even, I believe, to be able to look at
emissions from the tuner's LO, leaking backwards up the aerial cable, to
allow the detectors to determine what channel was being watched.

These days, there is no line timebase. Plasmas are probably pretty dirty as
there's some fairly high level sharp-edged signals flying around in them,
but the noisiest thing in an LCD is likely to be the SMPS, and in any case,
it could just as easily be a computer monitor that they were 'seeing'.

A while back, I'm sure that I saw something somewhere that basically said
that they just went to a street armed with a list of the houses that
*didn't* have a license, and started knocking on doors, based on the fact
that there was a good liklihood that they would have a TV. These days, you
are apparently obliged to show your license if asked. That wasn't always the
case though. Some years back, we had them knock on our door and ask to see
our license. My wife refused. When they asked her why, she told them that
she knew that she had a license and if they didn't, that was their problem,
not hers. They told her that she could be taken to court and prosecuted for
not having a license, as clearly, they thought she was just blagging it. She
calmly told them to go right ahead, because they were going to look pretty
stupid when she produced it in court. They went away, but she later got a
letter saying that they had traced the license, which was wrongly recorded
by the village post office where we bought it, by having the wrong post code
entered ... I also seem to think that I read somewhere that they published
lists of houses in streets that had no license recorded against them, which
seemed a bit of a step too far to me, as it is automatically assuming that
those houses are watching TV without a license.

It must be extremely difficult to enforce now, with the technology in
place - actually by the broadcasters themselves, including the BBC - to
watch their programmes on any item that has a screen, including phones,
iPods and tablets.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

I do have a licence incidentally, although I suspect that if someone
wasn't to keen on having one, things would be fairly easy these days.
As few sets have a line timebase now, then the only thing a detector
would have to go for is the tuners local oscillator, a miniscule
signal in an ocean of polluted airwaves.

Even that wouldn't be easy for them to 'find' these days, as I'm sure that
just about all tuners are direct conversion ZIF types now, which means that
any LO is at the same frequency as the base frequency of the multiplex being
received. No nice big constant frequency IF for them to search on.

Incidentally years back I was in the TV trade. A customer on a large
and not too reputable council estate described how she was visited by
the licencing authourity, she admitted them to the house, showed them
the TV and was as helpful as possible. her neighbour threatened to
"kick the head in" of anyone trying to enter his house.

Only one got fined. Any guesses which one?

However, if neither actually had a license, then that was unfair treatment,
and if I was the one who got done, knowing that my neighbour didn't, then I
would appeal my prosecution in the strongest possible terms. They had no
right of entry, and it shouldn't matter what 'threats' a house owner made to
them, as long as he didn't actually carry them out.

Arfa

AB

TV licence Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 32 June 3rd 13 07:12 PM
TV Licence renewal ( OT) sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 15 October 18th 10 09:11 PM
TV Licence Stewart[_2_] UK diy 120 January 23rd 10 11:18 AM
Printing the licence Father Kylesmas UK diy 6 January 20th 07 05:02 PM
"Do I need a TV licence" a solution ? T i m UK diy 9 January 27th 05 10:04 PM