Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stair Handrail height

After 20 yrs+ I'm finally getting round to putting a handrail up the
stairs for the extension bedroom.

Research shows that the authorities think this should be a 'minimum of
900mm from the stair pitch line' - that is the nose of the steps. Try
as I might I cannot see that 900mm is going to be comfortable on a
stair that was built to the top end of the regulation angle - the
other half is out today so I will see what she estimates is
comfortable when she gets back, but what will I be offending if I drop
it by at least 50mm ?

There is the other factor that the solid barrier along the top of the
stairwell is a very bare 900 mm high so I would have to stop the
handrail short anyway and that I do consider less acceptable.

Thanks for any comments
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
After 20 yrs+ I'm finally getting round to putting a handrail up the
stairs for the extension bedroom.

Research shows that the authorities think this should be a 'minimum of
900mm from the stair pitch line' - that is the nose of the steps. Try
as I might I cannot see that 900mm is going to be comfortable on a
stair that was built to the top end of the regulation angle - the
other half is out today so I will see what she estimates is
comfortable when she gets back, but what will I be offending if I drop
it by at least 50mm ?

There is the other factor that the solid barrier along the top of the
stairwell is a very bare 900 mm high so I would have to stop the
handrail short anyway and that I do consider less acceptable.

Thanks for any comments
Rob

When my old chap got a bit decrepit he fitted a secondary rail about 12"
above the treads. They were fairly steep stairs mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2013 15:29, robgraham wrote:
After 20 yrs+ I'm finally getting round to putting a handrail up the
stairs for the extension bedroom.

Research shows that the authorities think this should be a 'minimum of
900mm from the stair pitch line' - that is the nose of the steps. Try
as I might I cannot see that 900mm is going to be comfortable on a
stair that was built to the top end of the regulation angle - the
other half is out today so I will see what she estimates is
comfortable when she gets back, but what will I be offending if I drop
it by at least 50mm ?

There is the other factor that the solid barrier along the top of the
stairwell is a very bare 900 mm high so I would have to stop the
handrail short anyway and that I do consider less acceptable.

Thanks for any comments
Rob

Is that 900mm vertically from the nosing or 900mm perpendicular it the
line of the stairs? That would be quite a bit lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2013 16:10, Andrew May wrote:
[...]

900 - 1000mm vertically from the pitch line...

(having said that, if you don't have a building regs compliant body,
then go for what works for you - its unlikely to be that different, and
no one is going to complain)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 4:58*pm, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

" if you don't have a building regs compliant body," - my body
certainly doesn't comply with any building regs now !

"900 - 1000mm vertically from the pitch line..." -- my reading of the
regulations picture was that was the line running down the noses.

It certainly feels as if a steeper stair needs a lower handrail, but
then perhaps I'm approaching the status of BM's Dad !

I'm not in the least concerned about the local authority - I would
have thought they should have chased the builder to install one when
they signed the extension off, but maybe 23 years ago they weren't
too concerned. But would an insurance company get stroppy if a
visitor fell down the stair and the handrail wasn't absolutely to the
law?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2013 17:47, robgraham wrote:
[...]

Just put it wherever suits you and claim that that's where the builder
put it 23 years ago if anyone complains!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2013 15:29, robgraham wrote:
After 20 yrs+ I'm finally getting round to putting a handrail up the
stairs for the extension bedroom.

Doesn't pay to rush things...

Stair handrail brackets - spacing? robgraham UK diy 11 November 14th 12 12:55 PM
Handrail VisionSet UK diy 1 September 25th 06 04:38 AM
Minimum stair to ceiling height? [email protected] UK diy 13 August 30th 05 05:56 PM
stair rail height John P Reber Home Repair 5 July 21st 05 08:23 PM
Need ideas for Handrail/stair thingy... Dantanna Home Ownership 0 January 3rd 05 01:46 AM