Junior Member

Default Baxi Bermuda 552

My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket change or the exchanger itself. If it is the exchanger is it worth it based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2013 21:45, Keith R wrote:
My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat
exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket
change or the exchanger itself. If it is the exchanger is it worth it
based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks
Keith

Can you run it with the gas fire removed, and actually see where it's
leaking?

The heat exchanger is a fairly heavy cast iron affair, so I'd be
surprised if it had rusted through. It's made of several bits bolted
together, with gaskets in between - so a gasket failure is a likely
candidate.

Having said that, I wouldn't rate your chances of dismantling it
non-destructively after 28 years. Nor, unfortunately, would I rate your
chances of being able to buy a new one - unless you can find a good used
one at a scrappy.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 9:45*pm, Keith R wrote:
My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat
exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket
change or the exchanger itself. *If it is the exchanger is it worth it
based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks
Keith

--
Keith R

It is junk because of it's age, inefficiency and it is self defeating
because it draws (cold) combustion air into the room.
Getting a new condensing, room sealed, wall hung boiler will likely
cut gas bills by nearly 50%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/04/2013 08:59, harry wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:45 pm, Keith wrote:
My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat
exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket
change or the exchanger itself. If it is the exchanger is it worth it
based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks
Keith

--
Keith R

It is junk because of it's age, inefficiency and it is self defeating
because it draws (cold) combustion air into the room.
Getting a new condensing, room sealed, wall hung boiler will likely
cut gas bills by nearly 50%

I'm surprised you know anything about boilers since, with all your solar
panels, you presumably have no need of such crude devices!

To the OP: If you can't easily find and cure the leak, it may well be
time to consider replacing the boiler. If you like the Bermudu concept,
there is now a condensing version which (apparently) meets the latest
efficiency requirements.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 9:45 pm, Keith *wrote:
My 28 year old back boiler has just developed a water leak from the heat
exchanger.

Can anybody help in advising if it is likely to be a simple gasket
change or the exchanger itself. *If it is the exchanger is it worth it
based on the boilers age?

The boiler has been very reliable since I fitted all those years ago.

Many thanks
Keith

--
Keith R

It is junk because of it's age, inefficiency and it is self defeating
because it draws (cold) combustion air into the room.
Getting a new condensing, room sealed, wall hung boiler will likely
cut gas bills by nearly 50%

I'm surprised you know anything about boilers since, with all your solar
panels, you presumably have no need of such crude devices!

I have no need for central heating now as I have a solar passive
house.

But in days gone by I had a CORGI certificate because of the gas
fitters I had working for me. Mostly but not entirely industrial
boilers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 00:59:02 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

It is junk because of it's age, inefficiency and it is self defeating
because it draws (cold) combustion air into the room.
Getting a new condensing, room sealed, wall hung boiler will likely
cut gas bills by nearly 50%

Just looked it up in the SEBUK database http://www.boilers.org.uk/
(I would post a direct link but they hide those). Gawd is that a crap
boiler SAP 2009 Annual effciency of 65%...

A decent condensing modern boiler will certainly cut the gas bill
noticeably. Installing a modern boiler might be more fun as that Baxi is
a back boiler and modern boilers tend to require being mounted on an
external wall. I don't know if you can get a condensing back boiler, that
will be happy with presumably a normal height flue attached, even fitting
the condensate drain might be fun...

As a stop gap I wonder of some rad weld added to the primary would stop
the leak whilst the research/planning for the replacement is carried out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baxi Bermuda 551 Sutters UK diy 3 November 8th 16 06:16 PM
Baxi Bermuda Whooomphing [email protected] UK diy 5 May 2nd 06 06:20 PM
Baxi Bermuda problems Steve UK diy 2 October 22nd 05 07:03 PM
Baxi Bermuda 552: no heat F UK diy 10 July 7th 05 12:23 AM
Baxi Bermuda boiler Steve UK diy 10 October 21st 03 08:03 PM