Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default counter-balance hinged doors thumping the ceiling

I've just fitted cupboards in our kitchen with counter-balance hinges
(along the top edge of the doors). However, even with them adjusted to
their least springy extreme the hinges are too strong for the weight of
the doors meaning that instead of holding the doors in place, beyond a
certain point if let go, the doors thump into the ceiling denting the
plaster. (Plaster not painted yet thankfully.)

The solutions that occur to me are either to increase the weight of the
doors or to fit chains to limit their swing.

Fitting some form of handles to the inside of the doors as additional
weights would also make it easier to pull the doors closed once they're
open. However I'd have to find handles that can be fitted without
needing a screw going through from the front of the doors.

Can anyone think of a better solution?

Can anyone suggest where I could buy heavy handles that can be fitted
from the one side?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.