Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Measuring tape repair

I borrowed a 100ft measuring tape off a mate but I'm now embarrassed 'cos when it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case! I now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open the case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the central spindle.

It's a Fisco Meteor 30m/110ft MT30/14 (not sure what these letters and numbers mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a silver band round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem inclined to move. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2 halves of the case and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone any ideas?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"petek" wrote in message
I borrowed a 100ft measuring tape off a mate but I'm now embarrassed 'cos
when it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case! I
now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open the
case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the central
spindle.

It's a Fisco Meteor 30m/110ft MT30/14 (not sure what these letters and
numbers mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a silver
band round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem inclined to
move. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2 halves of the
case and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone any ideas?

Pete
- - - - - - - -
Angle grinder or sledge.
I can't find a large enough picture to get an idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:
I borrowed a 100ft measuring tape off a mate but I'm now embarrassed 'cos when it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case! I now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open the case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the central spindle.

It's a Fisco Meteor 30m/110ft MT30/14 (not sure what these letters and numbers mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a silver band round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem inclined to move. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2 halves of the case and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone any ideas?

Pete

Post a picture, but probably the centre bit with the winder or the other
side will unscrew and allow access.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
news
petek wrote:
I borrowed a 100ft measuring tape off a mate but I'm now embarrassed 'cos
when it was fully extended I accidentally pulled the end out of the case!
I now want to get it back and wind it up but I cannot find a way to open
the case or find a way to poke the end back in and hook it up to the
central spindle.

It's a Fisco Meteor 30m/110ft MT30/14 (not sure what these letters and
numbers mean. Case diameter is approx 125mm and 16mm thick. There's a
silver band round the circumference but it's on tight and doesn't seem
inclined to move. I was hoping it would reveal the split between the 2
halves of the case and perhaps give me a clue about it's construction.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone any ideas?

Pete

Post a picture, but probably the centre bit with the winder or the other
side will unscrew and allow access.

Might be like this -
http://www.mobilecadsurveying.co.uk/...r-tape-measure

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/04/2013 01:12, bm wrote:

Might be like this -
http://www.mobilecadsurveying.co.uk/...r-tape-measure

This is a clearer picture.
http://www.a1-equipment.co.uk/upload...6.70204220.jpg

What happens when the screw in the middle of the handle is unscrewed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:
Thanks for your comments Guys but I'm struggling to get some pics for
you. I have uploaded them to tinypic but I don't understand how to
get a link on here.

open tinypic, upload pictures.
When they're up on screen, copy the url by highlighting it with the mouse,
right clickcopy.
come here and open a reply to this thread, right click paste

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:18:19 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
petek wrote:

Thanks for your comments Guys but I'm struggling to get some pics for

you. I have uploaded them to tinypic but I don't understand how to

get a link on here.

open tinypic, upload pictures.

When they're up on screen, copy the url by highlighting it with the mouse,

right clickcopy.

come here and open a reply to this thread, right click paste

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Pe...?sort=3&page=1
Hope I have done this correctly and you can see them. If you can, you will see that there is no central screw on the spindle on either side, so there must be another way of opening the case - or is it sealed permanently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:
http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Pe...?sort=3&page=1
Hope I have done this correctly and you can see them. If you can, you
will see that there is no central screw on the spindle on either
side, so there must be another way of opening the case - or is it
sealed permanently?

I think it's probably held together with the steel band around it's outer
casing.
There appears to be a cover where the tape enters/ exits the housing, there
must be retaining screws under that for this steel band