Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bolting-up porcelain

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of bolting this new WC bowl (one of the concealed frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about 65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

I've always been ***very*** wary about bolting up porcelain sanitary ware on account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you tell how much force to use? THanks...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of bolting this new WC bowl (one of the concealed
frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that
conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about
65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

I've always been ***very*** wary about bolting up porcelain sanitary ware on
account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero
warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you
tell how much force to use? THanks...

Make yourself a couple of lead washers and "pinch-tighten" into those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, bm
writes

wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of bolting this new WC bowl (one of the concealed
frame-behind-wall types) to the frame through the tiled plasterboard that
conceals it and was wondering how tight it should be? The bowl weighs about
65lbs and is held to the wall by only two M12 bolts.

I've always been ***very*** wary about bolting up porcelain sanitary ware on
account of its total inflexibility and inclination to crack with zero
warning. There is nothing in the instructions on this aspect. How do you
tell how much force to use? THanks...

Make yourself a couple of lead washers and "pinch-tighten" into those.

I was just going to say that!:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:48:36 AM UTC+2, Huge wrote:

Naah, but I have though about it before as I've been screwing down

sanitaryware.

I guess this is one of those jobs where it's actually an *advantage* to only have a short, cheap, crappy spanner available! Like those hopeless things they used to give away free with mopeds for changing spark plugs.
I'm inclined towards just nipping the thing up until all slack between the bowl and the wall is taken up and leaving it at that. Tighten, wiggle, tighten, wiggle, and so on if you get my meaning. Best get some thread locking compound to stop it coming lose again.

Today is Boomtime, the 24th day of Discord in the YOLD 3179

A sample output from Linux ddate? Looks familiar...

bolting and retrofitting Craig E Home Repair 37 February 26th 12 01:48 PM
Bolting down steel plates Osprey UK diy 13 April 5th 07 12:31 PM
bolting to the joists asalcedo UK diy 13 October 18th 05 01:21 PM
Bolting lathe down? TC Woodturning 3 November 3rd 04 01:54 AM