Posted to uk.d-i-y
gb gb is offline

Default 3 way cctv cable with power

I want to shorten a CCTV camera cable (3 way with power)but was confused
when I discovered an unexpected blue wire inside the sheath. I need
some help with the pairings for the reconnection, please.

I assume the yellow (Video) and white (Audio) share a common return but
have no idea whether the plasticised metallic inner sheath serves this
function. I also assumed that the red and blue were the positive and
negative for the power, but despite trying every combination I can think
of, I can't get the camera to work. I only hope I haven't buggered the
camera by applying current incorrectly !!

Anyone?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2013 17:30, gb wrote:
I want to shorten a CCTV camera cable (3 way with power)but was confused
when I discovered an unexpected blue wire inside the sheath. I need
some help with the pairings for the reconnection, please.

I assume the yellow (Video) and white (Audio) share a common return but
have no idea whether the plasticised metallic inner sheath serves this
function. I also assumed that the red and blue were the positive and
negative for the power, but despite trying every combination I can think
of, I can't get the camera to work. I only hope I haven't buggered the
camera by applying current incorrectly !!

Anyone?

Thanks

Are you cutting an end off and trying to reconnect from there?

If so, you should be able to use a multimeter, or a simple battery and a
lamp to see what cables are connected to the original connector.

If you are chipping a bit of cable out the middle, then you should be
able to just connect up like for like, including the screen.

Does the camera have some kind of motion detection, and end it a SCART
connection? if so, this extra wire may be for switching the TV over to
the relevant SCART input when it detects something.

A picture might help here!

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:04:56 +0000, Toby
wrote:

On 28/03/2013 17:30, gb wrote:
[...]

Or the make and model of the equipment the cable came from.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2013 17:30, gb wrote:
I want to shorten a CCTV camera cable (3 way with power)but was confused
when I discovered an unexpected blue wire inside the sheath. I need
some help with the pairings for the reconnection, please.

I assume the yellow (Video) and white (Audio) share a common return but
have no idea whether the plasticised metallic inner sheath serves this
function. I also assumed that the red and blue were the positive and
negative for the power, but despite trying every combination I can think
of, I can't get the camera to work. I only hope I haven't buggered the
camera by applying current incorrectly !!

i found my bullet camera was pretty resilient to having 12 volts shoved up
it's video cable, unfortunately the tv on the other end of the cable wasnt,
so AV3 now has no working composite video input,

BUT, other camera's might be more fussy,

yellow is usually video, but if the cable was half decent it'd be wrapped in
it's own braided sheath,
on one of my cam's that has a built in mic, the cable is made up of 3
individually sheathed cores, video, mic and power, but in the camera all the
sheaths are connected together,

hence most cam's you can assume the braided sheath can be used to
earth/negative.. at least for testing,

Can you open the camera up and see if the connector on the board has any
markings,
tho as others have said, if you are just shortening the cable, then you
should be connecting like for like, red to red, blue to blue etc,

What camera is it BTW, someone may have that one and can check or tell you
more,