Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical adaptors

I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's more than just an adaptor. it has to change the voltage from 230v ac
to 12v dc. I have a largish freestanding unit, bought at Halfords which
plugs into the mains and it allows me to run car accessories, like a
coolbox, indoors.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 17:58, Bob H wrote:
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter
plug.

What are you actually intending to power from the adaptor? Assuming you
aren't wanting to light fags with it, it does make a difference as to
what adapter you need.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob H wrote:
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

Try eBay. Search for "mains 12V cigarette lighter adapter".

Lots to choose from. Whether they are suitable for your purposes I don't
know. What are you planning to power with it? They might not be up to your
power requirements.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 18:12, Tim+ wrote:
mains 12V cigarette lighter adapter

Just done that and got a result back of 3 matches for them.

It was worth a try tho'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob H wrote:
On 12/03/2013 18:12, Tim+ wrote:
mains 12V cigarette lighter adapter

Just done that and got a result back of 3 matches for them.

It was worth a try tho'

So are none of those no good? Not exactly an expensive experiment.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:07:12 +0000, Bob H wrote:

On 12/03/2013 18:12, Tim+ wrote:
mains 12V cigarette lighter adapter

Just done that and got a result back of 3 matches for them.

It was worth a try tho'

Be happy with the 3 matches - cheaper than the cigar lighter and does the
same job.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 17:58, Bob H wrote:
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

They're very handy for charging phones and such, and have a 1 amp
maximum output, but I find that they last about six to nine months of
regular (ab)use before failing in a non-repairable manner. I've had a
number of them over the last few years....

Mine have all been different makes, from suppliers both here and in
France, and they all last about the same time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 18:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
Erm, so why not just get a phone charger for indoors?

I use them because I have a number of phones with car charger units, and
I only need to buy and carry one of these to charge the phone, the mp3
player and a couple of other items in the hotel at night, instead of
having four or five mains charger units.

They are also handy for checking whether low powered items that would
normally work on a 12 volt socket in the car are in fact working.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
They are also handy for checking whether low powered items that would
normally work on a 12 volt socket in the car are in fact working.

Snag is some items that plug into the lighter socket can take up to 10
amps. Now you might be sensible about this - but others won't be.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:29:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
They are also handy for checking whether low powered items that would
normally work on a 12 volt socket in the car are in fact working.

Snag is some items that plug into the lighter socket can take up to 10
amps. Now you might be sensible about this - but others won't be.

Which others?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
John wrote:
They are also handy for checking whether low powered items that would
normally work on a 12 volt socket in the car are in fact working.

Snag is some items that plug into the lighter socket can take up to 10
amps. Now you might be sensible about this - but others won't be.

The ones I've used have overcurrent protection built in and shut down in
the case of an overload. I think it's designed in to the chipset that
all the makers use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What do you want to run off of it is the question, by definition, the
standard socket is quite high current. Now most cars are supposed to be
13.8v DC not exactly 12 either of course.
I also know to my cost that some car pluggable devices hate switch mode
supplies and go weird when you try to run them off of one.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob H" wrote in message
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have not
got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 17:58, Bob H wrote:
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

Oops, ok, yes I should have said what I wanted one for.

I want it to charge my satnav in the house, that's all, nothing else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 19:04, Bob H wrote:
On 12/03/2013 17:58, Bob H wrote:
I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

Oops, ok, yes I should have said what I wanted one for.

I want it to charge my satnav in the house, that's all, nothing else.

Any of them will be fine for that. Just don't expect one to last more
than a few months.

Some satnavs use a mini-USB socket to connect the charger as well as
update the maps, so all you need to do is plug it in to your computer.

Otherwise, buy the larger, 5 amp version of the 12 volt adaptor from
Maplins and put up with the noise of the fan running all the time.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 19:12, John Williamson wrote:

Some satnavs use a mini-USB socket to connect the charger as well as
update the maps, so all you need to do is plug it in to your computer.

My TomTom certainly just plugs into my PC. USB-to-micro-USB cable (IIRC
- could be mini? CBA to go out and check!) The TomTom 12V adaptor itself
works by having a USB socket so the lead that came with it works fine.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 19:30, polygonum wrote:
On 12/03/2013 19:12, John Williamson wrote:

Some satnavs use a mini-USB socket to connect the charger as well as
update the maps, so all you need to do is plug it in to your computer.

My TomTom certainly just plugs into my PC. USB-to-micro-USB cable (IIRC
- could be mini? CBA to go out and check!) The TomTom 12V adaptor itself
works by having a USB socket so the lead that came with it works fine.

Well blow me down with a feather, I never realised that.

Actually I bought my tom tom cheap, and it didn't have a usb lead with
it, but I found one I already had and am now charging the TomTom up from
my PC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 19:04, Bob H wrote:
I want it to charge my satnav in the house, that's all, nothing else.

My satnav has a USB cable it uses for charging in the car, and for
downloading map updates. If I want to charge it in the house I just
stuff it into the PC. It takes longer that it would on a proper
charger, but WTH. If I cared I'd buy a mains-USB charger - you can get
them for phones.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013, "Andy Champ" writ:

On 12/03/2013 19:04, Bob H wrote:
I want it to charge my satnav in the house, that's all, nothing else.

My satnav has a USB cable it uses for charging in the car, and for
downloading map updates. If I want to charge it in the house I just
stuff it into the PC. It takes longer that it would on a proper
charger, but WTH. If I cared I'd buy a mains-USB charger - you can get
them for phones.

Andy

Any of the chargers for my iPad, iPod and both my mobile phones will
charge my satnav. All have USB outputs so you just need the appropriate
cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 19:04, Bob H wrote:
I want it to charge my satnav in the house, that's all, nothing else.

My satnav has a USB cable it uses for charging in the car, and for
downloading map updates. If I want to charge it in the house I just
stuff it into the PC. It takes longer that it would on a proper
charger, but WTH. If I cared I'd buy a mains-USB charger - you can get
them for phones.

Andy

Any of the chargers for my iPad, iPod and both my mobile phones will
charge my satnav. All have USB outputs so you just need the appropriate
cable.

As Andy wrote, speed of charging might not be as fast with some USB
sources. But the Galaxy S2 charger is, IIRC, the same higher-power
output as the TomTom. Which works nicely for me...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 17:58:49 +0000, Bob H wrote:

I am looking for a specific adaptor which will plug into the mains
230v/240v and have a socket which will take a cigarette lighter plug.

I have looked on Amazon , but to be honest those I have looked at have
not got many good reviews , to the point of some saying 'avoid'.

I have also looked at one at Maplins, which is priced at £9.99, and the
same one is £6.93 on Amazon, but it hasn't got a decent review.

If someone could point me in the right direction for one of these.

You need to give us a clue about what you want to connect to it, so we
can advise on something that will deliver the current (Amps) required
and whether or not it needs to be regulated.

There is a big difference in PSU required to say power a radio and one
to power a big 12v motor.

I have a 12v PSU here that is just a redundant PC PSU very slightly
modified, it will deliver nearly 20A @ 12V, but that might be
overkill.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

USB Skype Adaptors [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:47 AM
R.I.H. Effing Adaptors Weatherlawyer UK diy 28 December 10th 06 08:22 PM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
Adaptors Tony Electronics 3 August 4th 04 02:24 PM
BC to ES Lamp Adaptors . Stuart UK diy 8 January 31st 04 02:28 PM