Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holes in a Ceiling - How to Make Good?

Hi all,

Since my ongoing re-wire was always going to take forever, I decided to
cut access holes in the downstairs ceilings rather than lifting the
upstairs floorboards. Now I've finally got round to making good the
damage in the lounge. The ceiling is plasterboard with a flat skim and
there are 30off 200mm circular holes to make good. I still have all the
plugs, so I'll be putting them back by screwing them to battens
gripfilled across the holes.

Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them and then get the ceiling skimmed (I wouldn't attempt to skim
the ceiling myself). Now though, I'm wondering if it would be less
hassle to fill each one properly and dispense with the skim...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp wrote:
Hi all,

Since my ongoing re-wire was always going to take forever, I decided to
cut access holes in the downstairs ceilings rather than lifting the
upstairs floorboards. Now I've finally got round to making good the
damage in the lounge. The ceiling is plasterboard with a flat skim and
there are 30off 200mm circular holes to make good. I still have all the
plugs, so I'll be putting them back by screwing them to battens
gripfilled across the holes.

Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them and then get the ceiling skimmed (I wouldn't attempt to skim
the ceiling myself). Now though, I'm wondering if it would be less
hassle to fill each one properly and dispense with the skim...

Cheers,

Colin.

Have you got a price for a new ceiling (fixed directly to the existing)
and skim?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 5:36*pm, Bill Wright wrote:
Colin Stamp wrote:
[...]

Probably the best idea with so many holes.
You could put the plasterboard up yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2013 17:36, Bill Wright wrote:

Have you got a price for a new ceiling (fixed directly to the existing)
and skim?

No, but that's not very appealing as the new lounge setup has a high
shelf for AV stuff, which is fixed and already a bit marginal for
ceiling height.

Skimming the existing ceiling would be pretty cheap though. That is, my
brother will do it if I re-plumb his washing machine on the opposite
side of his kitchen and replace two gate valves on his heating system.

The problem though, is how long it'll be before he gets time to do it.
If I fill the holes individually, I can start now...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:30:40 +0000, Colin Stamp wrote:

Any suggestions as to what to do after that?

Fill 'em yourself, then - if it looks **** - get it skimmed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Feb, 17:30, Colin Stamp wrote:

Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them

Do that, using "Easyfill", and no-one will know!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp wrote:
[...]

Painful...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2013 19:24, Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 27 Feb, 17:30, Colin Stamp wrote:

Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them

Do that, using "Easyfill", and no-one will know!

Easi-fill? I'd been thinking of giving that a try. I've been using
Toupret for the top layer of the chases and I've done a test hole using
that for now. Something I can mix in industrial quantities might well be
better if I decide to do the whole lot myself...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 27, 8:07*pm, Colin Stamp wrote:
On 27/02/2013 19:24, Mr Fuxit wrote:

On 27 Feb, 17:30, Colin Stamp wrote:

Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them

Do that, using "Easyfill", and no-one will know!

Easi-fill? I'd been thinking of giving that a try. I've been using
Toupret for the top layer of the chases and I've done a test hole using
that for now. Something I can mix in industrial quantities might well be
better if I decide to do the whole lot myself...

Cheers,

Colin.

lightweight ready mixed filler e.g "red devil" litre tubs if not more
- slap it on aim for flush, sets quick, sands smooth as a
baby's........

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:30:40 PM UTC, Colin Stamp wrote:

Hi all,
Since my ongoing re-wire was always going to take forever, I decided to
cut access holes in the downstairs ceilings rather than lifting the
upstairs floorboards. Now I've finally got round to making good the
damage in the lounge. The ceiling is plasterboard with a flat skim and
there are 30off 200mm circular holes to make good. I still have all the
plugs, so I'll be putting them back by screwing them to battens
gripfilled across the holes.
Any suggestions as to what to do after that? I was going to roughly fill
round them and then get the ceiling skimmed (I wouldn't attempt to skim
the ceiling myself). Now though, I'm wondering if it would be less
hassle to fill each one properly and dispense with the skim...
Cheers,
Colin.

Either works. Filling means no need to wait, and he can do something else for you. I like to run a straight edge over a big hole, and finish fill another time.

Next time if you make sensible 2.5" holes its far easier & faster to fill.

NT