DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Getting Dirty (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3534-getting-dirty.html)

N. Thornton November 13th 03 06:25 PM

Getting Dirty

Hi

When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs
to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards
has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep
it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before
cutting?

Regards, NT

Michael Mcneil November 13th 03 06:36 PM

Getting Dirty

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om
When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs
to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards
has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep
it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before
cutting?

A coat of 50% varnish/meths. It depends on what you will be doing with
it after though. You could cut it thinner if it is going to get only
moderate handling. It's one of "those" types of questions I believe?

Paul Mc Cann November 13th 03 07:04 PM

Getting Dirty

On 13 Nov 2003 10:25:46 -0800, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Hi

When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs
to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards
has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep
it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before
cutting?

Regards, NT

A thin coat of sanding sealer can be usuful. I use a water based
version. Easy clean up and fast drying.

It also make glue squeeze out/marks easily removed.

Paul Mc Cann

Bay Area Dave November 13th 03 07:39 PM

Getting Dirty

I wear vinyl disposable gloves when I sand, to avoid oils from my hands
spoiling the freshly cleaned surfaces. Other than that, I really don't
worry about it too much. Just be careful about sweat dripping out of
the gloves on a hot day when raising your arms, spoiling a wet finish.
DAMHIKT.

DAVE

Doug Miller November 13th 03 07:55 PM

Getting Dirty

In article , (N. Thornton) wrote:
Hi

When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs
to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards
has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep
it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before
cutting?

Surfaced wood is clean, so if your hands are clean to begin with, they will
stay that way unless you handle something that isn't clean. When you do, wash
your hands before touching the wood. To keep from contaminating bare wood
surfaces with skin oils, dust your hands occasionally with clean sawdust.

Kalico November 13th 03 10:25 PM

Getting Dirty

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Hi

When building, woodwork things tend to get grubby, and the wood needs
to be kept completely clean on this project. Cleaning it afterwards
has not been very successful in the past. What's the best way to keep
it nice and clean? Washing hands every 20 minutes? Varnish before
cutting?

Regards, NT

Unless it is going to be a long job, 'acquire' some of those nice free
plastic gloves from your local petrol station and throw them away regularly.