Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suitable lighting transformer sought for child's light

Hi all
Have been passed on something to 'renovate' - a childs lamp with rotating
inner screen, driven by the heat of the small lamp fitted. A bit like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Magical-Rotating-Nursery-
Trousselier/dp/B004ZKHX2O

There seems to have been an inline 12V transformer which has been lost. The
remaining cable has a small two-pin plug at the end - a bit like the one at
the end of some Christmas tree lights, from memory.

If I decide it's worth getting going, any suggestions as to a source of
suitable transformer? SELV 12V lighting transformers seem easy and cheap to
find, but bearing in mind 'nursery use' I'm not sure about little fingers
getting to the terminals. I guess I could try to scavenge a suitable
transformer from elsewhere but I presume the original would have been cheap
cr*p and would like to find something better. Haven't seen anything yet from
an internet trawl etc.

Thanks for any pointers

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There seems to have been an inline 12V transformer which has been lost. The
remaining cable has a small two-pin plug at the end - a bit like the one at
the end of some Christmas tree lights, from memory.
+++++

Without seeing it, but given the description, it sounds like it could be a
12V halogen. If it is then you can get transformers from any electrical
supplier but you will probably need to pop into Maplins or similar and get a
suitable plastic case because the transformers are normally expected to be
in roof space and are not "small child's finger-proof".

Of course I could be totally wrong, but checking the bulb for marking will
tell you. I believe you should NOT touch the bulb directly with your
fingers as acid from your fingers will eventually destroy the bulb.

If it is a halogen then you can also buy replacement transformers
"wall-wart" transformers, but when I looked they were expensive and it
wasn't clear they had the correct connectors so I went for the cheap option
to repair our halogen "piano light".

Paul DS
Using Windows Live Mail 2012 - no, don't laugh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi All
Thanks for the various comments:

Paul D Smith wrote:

Without seeing it, but given the description, it sounds like it could be a
12V halogen. If it is then you can get transformers from any electrical
supplier but you will probably need to pop into Maplins or similar and get
a suitable plastic case because the transformers are normally expected to
be in roof space and are not "small child's finger-proof".

Yes, that was my impression re. the transformers; I was hoping not to have
to get an extra enclosure.

The lamp isn't a halogen, it's a Small Edison Screw 20W 12V bulb - sewing
machine bulb, perhaps?

I am thinking about finding something suitable from my collection of old
wall warts and fitting that - if (big if) I decide it's actually worth
pursuing. I may be a bit too keen on my role as 'Grandad who fixes
everything...'

Cheers
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Garden lighting transformer, Bell transformer, of course some research
needed on the voltage. the now defunct Ring lighting company used to make 12
volt transformers in nice sealed boxes.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Night Tripper" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 08:15, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
Have been passed on something to 'renovate' - a childs lamp with rotating
inner screen, driven by the heat of the small lamp fitted. A bit like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-Magical-Rotating-Nursery-
Trousselier/dp/B004ZKHX2O

There seems to have been an inline 12V transformer which has been lost. The
remaining cable has a small two-pin plug at the end - a bit like the one at
the end of some Christmas tree lights, from memory.

If I decide it's worth getting going, any suggestions as to a source of
suitable transformer? SELV 12V lighting transformers seem easy and cheap to
find, but bearing in mind 'nursery use' I'm not sure about little fingers

Given the environment and load any cheap double insulated unregulated
about 12v supply ought to do provided it can source the required
current. I'd guess at between 1 and 2A from the context. DIY of a mains
adapter to DC can no longer be recommended in this litigious era.

BTW I doubt it is a halogen bulb in that sort of configuration - and if
it is then it would be a fire risk!

getting to the terminals. I guess I could try to scavenge a suitable
transformer from elsewhere but I presume the original would have been cheap
cr*p and would like to find something better. Haven't seen anything yet from
an internet trawl etc.

Thanks for any pointers

J^n

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CostMad-Univ...0055730&sr=8-1

Probably isn't far too off what you want and relatively cheap.
(but check the bulbs actual current requirements)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If it's anything like the one my kids had, the little motor will need 12V
AC - take a look and see whether there are obvious motor brushes to suggest
it's DC. My kids' one had a small synchronous motor with a gearbox built
into the end to give the slow rotation.

If AC, then as suggested a doorbell transformer should do the job - get one
the same rating as the bulb plus a couple of watts for the motor.

Dave H. (the other one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news:_YednaUpKcgwIo3MnZ2dnUVZ8nKdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
[...]

The OP has said the rotation is by the rising hot air from the lamp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 08:15:51 +0000, The Night Tripper
wrote:

[...]

What is the wattage of the lamp?