Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default dreamweaver

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"London2013" wrote in message

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Microsoft is dumping Expression stuff:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=36179

Overview

Expression Web 4 gives you the tools you need to produce high-quality,
standards-based Web sites: built-in support for todays Web standards,
sophisticated CSS design capabilities, and visual diagnostic tools. Whether
you work with PHP, HTML/XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NET or ASP.NET AJAX,
Expression Web makes it faster and easier to create and maintain exceptional
web sites.

Please note: This free version of Expression Web is not eligible for
Microsoft technical support and is community support. For more information,
visit the Expression Community site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/13 21:03, Richard wrote:
"London2013" wrote in message

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Microsoft is dumping Expression stuff:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=36179

Overview

Expression Web 4 gives you the tools you need to produce high-quality,
standards-based Web sites: built-in support for todays Web standards,
sophisticated CSS design capabilities, and visual diagnostic tools.
Whether you work with PHP, HTML/XHTML, CSS, JavaScript, ASP.NET or
ASP.NET AJAX, Expression Web makes it faster and easier to create and
maintain exceptional web sites.

Please note: This free version of Expression Web is not eligible for
Microsoft technical support and is community support. For more
information, visit the Expression Community site.

You get what you pay for.

There IS something worse than dreamweaver. FrontPage.

http://webdesign.about.com/od/window...ws-editors.htm

may be some help

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4-Feb-2013, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You get what you pay for.

There IS something worse than dreamweaver. FrontPage.

Now certainly, but when it came out it was ground breaking ... and then it
was bought by M$ :-(

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/13 20:58, London2013 wrote:
IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

dried horse-****. That's pretty equivalent.

What are you trying to do? win the prize for the most code to produce
the least visible effect?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/13 20:58, London2013 wrote:
IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

dried horse-****. That's pretty equivalent.

Each to their own, but I have yet to find any web authoring packages
that produce better results (without hand coding)

What are you trying to do? win the prize for the most code to produce
the least visible effect?

Dreamweaver produces relatively little code IME, its also smart enough
to not fiddle with anything you insert manually - so round tripping code
with embedded JSP or PHP etc is painless.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5-Feb-2013, Frank Erskine wrote:

dried horse-****. That's pretty equivalent.

Each to their own, but I have yet to find any web authoring packages
that produce better results (without hand coding)

+1.

aol+1/aol

I liked it so much over the years I've actually paid for it (several times!)

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 01:05, Chris Wilson wrote:
On 5-Feb-2013, Frank Erskine wrote:

dried horse-****. That's pretty equivalent.

Each to their own, but I have yet to find any web authoring packages
that produce better results (without hand coding)

+1.

aol+1/aol

I liked it so much over the years I've actually paid for it (several times!)

+1

I usually buy every second incarnation as the incremental improvements
from one to the next rarely justify the cost for my needs.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Depends if you think Dreamweaver itself is decent to start with ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

on Windoz, Notepad

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:16:25 +0000, Mark wrote:

London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

on Windoz, Notepad

-

So what's the problem with Edlin?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 01:17, Graham. wrote:

So what's the problem with Edlin?

Ha... Edlin
I never did work that beast out nor ever needed to as shortly after I
started the "office job" we were blessed with wonderfully simple XTree.

:¬)

Pete@
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Graham.
writes

So what's the problem with Edlin?

What's wrong with 'copy con foo.html' ?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Graham.
writes

So what's the problem with Edlin?

What's wrong with 'copy con foo.html' ?

Err it's some kiddy DOS ****e, thats what's wrong with it.

vi foo.html

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 16:09, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Graham.
writes

So what's the problem with Edlin?

What's wrong with 'copy con foo.html' ?

Too trendy, how about:

pip foo.html=con: /E

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:
IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

the only free alternative last time I looked was komposer (kompozer?)
but I found it more trouble to learn to use it than to learn to write a
bit of html and css, and hey, this is the internet - if you don't want
to pay for dreamweaver then get a pirate copy.

Really depends what you want to do. Not a lot of professionals write
sites from scratch, it's all about templates and boilerplates and CMS
and php.

So upload an opensource CMS, use a free theme, get the plugins for fancy
galleries and contact forms, who needs dreamweaver? who needs to write html?

Tim w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is
probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

Komposer is a fairly simple wysiwyg editor, sea monkey also includes
one. There are plenty of html aware text editors as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 23:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is
probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

Komposer is a fairly simple wysiwyg editor, sea monkey also includes
one. There are plenty of html aware text editors as well.

What cockup was that?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

On 04/02/2013 23:18, John Rumm wrote:

On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is
probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

What cockup was that?

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What cockup was that?

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

Haaaa haaaa , thats just brilliant ! I use minimally , but having used it
for
ten years im getting too old for the new learning curves , previous copies
were given by friends so likely pirates

Downloaded MS essentials and Kompozer , Phew , im sure if i had a
friend on my shoulder to show me it would be a dawdle but trying to learn
two new systems after using DW for a decade aint no fun

So thatnkyou for that link , hopefully i can keep using that for the next
ten years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 23:21, polygonum wrote:
On 04/02/2013 23:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is
probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

Komposer is a fairly simple wysiwyg editor, sea monkey also includes
one. There are plenty of html aware text editors as well.

What cockup was that?

They turned off the activation servers for the CS2 product line and as a
result issued patched binaries with an activation key. Only later did it
seem to occur to them that it might result in every man and his dog
helping themselves. So they played web page hokey kokey for a bit, and
then made it available again with a note saying this is only intended
for users who bought it originally! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm :
On 04/02/2013 23:21, polygonum wrote:
On 04/02/2013 23:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/02/2013 20:58, London2013 wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

Following Adobe's cockup of a few weeks back, the answer to that is
probably Dreamweaver CS2 ;-)

Komposer is a fairly simple wysiwyg editor, sea monkey also includes
one. There are plenty of html aware text editors as well.

What cockup was that?

They turned off the activation servers for the CS2 product line and as
a result issued patched binaries with an activation key. Only later did
it seem to occur to them that it might result in every man and his dog
helping themselves. So they played web page hokey kokey for a bit, and
then made it available again with a note saying this is only intended
for users who bought it originally! ;-)

Fascinating. :-)

I make (admittedly not extensive) use of Dreamweaver 8, which AIUI is
what's in CS2, on my Windows 7 system and I don't have any problems with
it at all, despite Adobe's strident warning.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 07:39, Mike Barnes wrote:
John Rumm :
[...]

Yup sounds about right - my CS4 "help about" reports it as version 10

, on my Windows 7 system and I don't have any problems with
it at all, despite Adobe's strident warning.

Yup I think that is part of the back pedalling - it works find on most
versions of windows. The Mac versions however are a very different
matter - it will fall about in a heap on OSX Snow Leopard.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4-Feb-2013, "London2013" wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

I used to advocate Notepad but I have to be honest I'm now a devotee of
Editpad Pro ;-)

And now for the sensible answer - if you'll actually using a lot of the
Dreamweaver features the answer's "no", so it's either that or the new car
I'm afraid.

--

All the best,

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2013 01:01, Chris Wilson wrote:
On 4-Feb-2013, "London2013" wrote:

IS there any DECENT free alternatives to dreamweaver ?

I used to advocate Notepad but I have to be honest I'm now a devotee of
Editpad Pro ;-)

And now for the sensible answer - if you'll actually using a lot of the
Dreamweaver features the answer's "no", so it's either that or the new car
I'm afraid.

As Colin hinted above - going for update versions every other major
release keeps the cost manageable.

(I wonder if there will be a sudden surge of interest in CS4 upgrade for
people who have just realised they have CS2 and had "forgotten" about
it? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5-Feb-2013, John Rumm wrote:

(I wonder if there will be a sudden surge of interest in CS4 upgrade for
people who have just realised they have CS2 and had "forgotten" about
it? ;-)

Have to confess that business model worked on me, once it got to the stage
that i couldn't use Paint Shop Pro and System Mechanic for free I paid out
for the real deal. Of course with PSP once they got taken over the product
rapidly went downhill - at least from my perspective and I reinstalled PSP9
and haven't updated since.

--

All the best,

Chris