Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Favourite TOT Subject: "Sellafield clean-up cost reaches £67.5bn"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

Yes, it's terrible how much idiot politicians and ignorant scaremongers
cost the British public.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said
it would be 'too cheap to meter'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/13 14:52, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 04/02/2013 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said
it would be 'too cheap to meter'.

considering the amount of electricity generated by teh nuclear fleet,
that's not a lot.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 14:52, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 04/02/2013 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said
it would be 'too cheap to meter'.

No they didn't. Produce the *original* quote.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well maybe there will be a hurricane and that will spread it over the rest
of the UK. I'm tempted to say would that sort of wind register on the
winscale but thought I'd pass on that one. At the moment if they could just
find some place to put it underground safely it would be a start. A guy on
the bbc gthe other day says if they found a place tomorrow it would take 20
years to just prepare the place for the waste!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Java Jive" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 15:23, newshound wrote:
On 04/02/2013 14:52, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 04/02/2013 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said
it would be 'too cheap to meter'.

No they didn't. Produce the *original* quote.

I know his apologists have got him off the hook on that one, but Strauss
was referring to atomic power:

“It is not too much to expect that our children will enjoy in their
homes electrical energy too cheap to meter"

If that's not a prediction, I don't know what is - and it ain't happened
yet, and nor is it likely to.

Anyway, the thread is about nuclear waste. Which I suppose some of you
still say is not a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 4, 6:01*pm, Farmer Giles wrote:
[...]

The not-very-clever ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Feb, 18:39, harry wrote:
[...]

shoudn't you be in bed now its dark?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 18:01, Farmer Giles wrote:

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said
it would be 'too cheap to meter'.

No they didn't. Produce the *original* quote.

I know his apologists have got him off the hook on that one, but Strauss
was referring to atomic power:

“It is not too much to expect that our children will enjoy in their
homes electrical energy too cheap to meter"

If that's not a prediction, I don't know what is - and it ain't happened
yet, and nor is it likely to.

Thank you; the wonders of Google. I hadn't come across the Strauss
attribution before.

I know someone who did a *lot* of digging in press records before the
www to try to find the source,
but he missed that one. I would still go with the Wikipedia view that he
was thinking about fusion, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 13:22:36 +0000, Java Jive wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

Is that figure a) more than, b) less than, c) about the same as, the eventual cost (including cleanup in the
producing countries) of the UK's 'renewables' programme?

I realise that the nuclear weapons programme and the renewables programme are different, but it's all
taxpayer's money and it's good to have some idea of the relativities.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 13:22, Java Jive wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-21298117#

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached
£67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a
report."

Idiots. Of course it will carry on rising - even if only a penny a year!
Rate of rise is what might matter.

Unless they could sell something - mmm, like reprocessing service...

--
Rod