Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earthing cable

Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms
- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
question is about the size of the cable from the rods back to the CU. I
know that 10mm would be ideal, but because I have a 50 metre reel of
6mm, and I would have to buy in some 10mm, I would prefer to use that.
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy Current wrote:

Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms
- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
question is about the size of the cable from the rods back to the CU. I
know that 10mm would be ideal, but because I have a 50 metre reel of
6mm, and I would have to buy in some 10mm, I would prefer to use that.
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

Yes.
2.5mm is acceptable if it is not buried, and protected from corrosion
and mechanical damage.
So 6mm is fine if not buried, and protected from corrosion.

I'd always go for the 10mm, as, well, it just looks 'safer' as it is a
fatter cable! Also, I dont keep 6mm cable.
The differences in impedance in that short run is very small, so a fault
will take maybe a millisecond more to trip the RCD. In real life, there
will be no measureable difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 18:48, A.Lee wrote:
Eddy Current wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:09:00 +0000, Eddy Current wrote:

Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms
- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
question is about the size of the cable from the rods back to the CU. I
know that 10mm would be ideal, but because I have a 50 metre reel of
6mm, and I would have to buy in some 10mm, I would prefer to use that.
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

Any reason not to run two bits of 6mm side by side?

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 20:10, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:09:00 +0000, Eddy Current wrote:

Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms
- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
question is about the size of the cable from the rods back to the CU. I
know that 10mm would be ideal, but because I have a 50 metre reel of
6mm, and I would have to buy in some 10mm, I would prefer to use that.
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

Any reason not to run two bits of 6mm side by side?

Cheers

Dave R

Interesting idea, I'll certainly consider that. Many thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:09:00 PM UTC, Eddy Current wrote:
Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms

- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My

The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

6mm is overkill, and fine

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 8:53*pm, wrote:
On Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:09:00 PM UTC, Eddy Current wrote:
Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms

- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

6mm is overkill, and fine

NT

I was a bit concerned by the electrician that came to do the wiring of
my PV panels who expressed concern at my earth having 98 ohm
resistance - "Yes, it's TT; and thanks for confirming that it is as
low as that!".. Puzzled look, followed by "Is that the size of your
earth wire - it should be 10mm" -- "and what would the point of that
be when it's feeding into 98 ohms?". Went away grumbling.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 18:09, Eddy Current wrote:
Because I have a high ELI reading with my TT earthing - around 620 ohms
- I want to drive in some new copper rods to see if I can improve it. My
question is about the size of the cable from the rods back to the CU. I
know that 10mm would be ideal, but because I have a 50 metre reel of
6mm, and I would have to buy in some 10mm, I would prefer to use that.
The run back to the MET would be about 6 to 7 metres, so would the 6mm
be acceptable?

The various combinations of requirements are summarised he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...o_your_ear th

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2013 01:08, John Rumm wrote:

The various combinations of requirements are summarised he
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...o_your_ear th

Yes and note that 10 mm^2 isn't mentioned.

The most common situation is that insulated single wire (6491X) will be
used as the earthing conductor, and will be buried for some of its
length. The PVC insulation gives corrosion protection, but not
mechanical protection. Therefore the correct size to use for most TT
installations is 16 mm^2.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

The various combinations of requirements are summarised he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...o_your_ear th

Note there is a broken external link to an IEE Wiring Matters article in
that.

The article in question is contained in this:

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...6/complete.cfm

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2013 11:02, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

The various combinations of requirements are summarised he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...o_your_ear th

Note there is a broken external link to an IEE Wiring Matters article in
that.

The article in question is contained in this:

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...6/complete.cfm

Thanks, I have updated the link.

--
Cheers,

John.

Earthing SWA Cable Martin Carroll UK diy 4 May 31st 09 02:17 PM
Earthing SWA cable? Roger Moss UK diy 2 February 21st 08 03:50 AM
Earthing an SWA cable? newman UK diy 12 November 10th 06 03:52 PM
Earthing a loooooong cable? Douglas de Lacey UK diy 27 August 18th 06 01:37 PM
Earthing of armoured cable (SWA) daveo UK diy 7 August 30th 05 07:49 AM