Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Acrylic glued to painted alloy panel

I'm attempting to repair a caravan alloy side panel. The usual trick of
using filler, smoothing and painting cannot be used due to a difficult
to match ribbed pattern on the existing area of panel - so the plan is
to stick a flat panel over it, a little way proud of the surface,
rather than just the minimum thickness, with neatly rounded corners to
make it look a bit more intentional than a patch. I did plan to use a
piece of alloy, which might be difficult to get in place flat. Someone
has suggested 6mm acrylic sheet might be easier to get flat.

I'm just wondering if I might be struggling first to fix it - if the
surfaces were roughened, would ordinary sealant stick it in place
firmly and might be struggling to spray paint it?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)