Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cover for Honeywell ST699 Programmer/heating control??

Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a
little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of
the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows how to use the
timer but managed to turn the whole heating off last night, and wondered
why the house was a tad cold this morning: not good at this time of
year, especially just now). The documentation doesn't indicate anything
and Google doesn't throw up much. The shape of the housing suggests it
could take a cover, but it doesn't seem like there is anything readily
available. I haven e-mailed Honeywell as well in case they respond/have
any ideas. Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf solution, or perhaps a
DIY solution? Thanks

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...s/Wired/ST699/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Allan" wrote in message
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a
little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of the
90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows how to use the timer
but managed to turn the whole heating off last night, and wondered why the
house was a tad cold this morning:

But won't she just remove the cover and fiddle with the controlls anyway?

Maybe buy a new timer, fit it in a hidden location only you know, and
disconnect the contact wires from the existing one... the old unconnected
room stat trick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:25:00 -0000, Gazz wrote:

Maybe buy a new timer, fit it in a hidden location only you know, and
disconnect the contact wires from the existing one... the old
unconnected room stat trick

Make sure that any displays and indicator lights still work as expected,
they may be dotty but not daft. Of course you'll then get the call that
the radiators are on or off when the "controller" is saying the
opposite...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Allan writes:
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls a
little less available to wandering hands (not the small kind, more of
the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows how to use the
timer but managed to turn the whole heating off last night, and wondered
why the house was a tad cold this morning: not good at this time of
year, especially just now). The documentation doesn't indicate anything
and Google doesn't throw up much. The shape of the housing suggests it
could take a cover, but it doesn't seem like there is anything readily
available. I haven e-mailed Honeywell as well in case they respond/have
any ideas. Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf solution, or perhaps a
DIY solution? Thanks

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...s/Wired/ST699/

There are people who simply shouldn't have any manual controls
for their heating, and they're not all old or young - many are
simply clueless.

You could fit an alternative control somewhere, and leave the
existing one as a dummy which doesn't actually control the system.

For a 90 year old at home every day, do you actually want it to
switch off at any point? You could just hardwaire it on, and use
a programmable room stat to handle night setback if you need it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in
:

In article ,
Allan writes:
[...]

Andrew makes a good point. Timers are a very poor way of controlling the
temperature. It would be better to fit a programmable stat. Perhaps some
are tamper proof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2013 21:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in
:

In article ,
Allan writes:
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the
controls a little less available to wandering hands (not the small
kind, more of the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum thinks she knows
how to use the timer but managed to turn the whole heating off last
night, and wondered why the house was a tad cold this morning: not
good at this time of year, especially just now). The documentation
doesn't indicate anything and Google doesn't throw up much. The
shape of the housing suggests it could take a cover, but it doesn't
seem like there is anything readily available. I haven e-mailed
Honeywell as well in case they respond/have any ideas. Any
suggestions for an off-the-shelf solution, or perhaps a DIY solution?
Thanks

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...s/Wired/ST699/

Thanks for various replies

I got an e-mail reply from Honeywell, quite quickly and quite helpful.
They suggested that the only cover was a locking cover

TG509, TG510, TG511, TG512 Versaguard Universal Thermostat Guards

Allan

PS: NIN seems to have lost my initial post, and a couple of replies, but
GG shows them all. I am therefore constrained to reply to a reply
(IYSWIM) rather than replying to my original post: apologies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Allan
writes
Is there a cover available for the ST699 which would make the controls
a little less available to wandering hands

Not that I've ever come across

(not the small kind, more of the 90-year-old forgetful kind: my Mum
thinks she knows how to use the timer but managed to turn the whole
heating off last night,

Superglue the sliders - that'll stop her

sounds like whatever you try, she'll fiddle

and wondered why the house was a tad cold this morning: not good at
this time of year, especially just now). The documentation doesn't
indicate anything and Google doesn't throw up much. The shape of the
housing suggests it could take a cover, but it doesn't seem like there
is anything readily available. I haven e-mailed Honeywell as well in
case they respond/have any ideas. Any suggestions for an off-the-shelf
solution, or perhaps a DIY solution? Thanks

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...s/Wired/ST699/

--
geoff