Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting rid of the smell of p!$$

Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 15, 2:57*pm, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Probably worth visiting a pet shop as they usually have odor
neutralising products. No idea how well they work.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/13 14:57, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Urinoff, and water. Get the worst off with water, and let the Urinoff
do its work.

bleach works also BUT its corrosive stuff on wood. By the way a water
carpet shampooer will restore the carpets adequately.

Reminds me of a bloke we shared a house with. He and he alone used the
dowstairs toilet. One day we asked him why he had changed to the
upstairs one 'the one downstairs is blocked' - and it was. Full to the
brim with **** and **** and so was the entire drainage system, and every
time we flushed the upstairs toilet the level rose.."How long has it
been like that?" "Dunno: couple of weeks" "Why didn't you say anything"?
"Dunno".

WE got in Dynorod and they dyno rodded it and cleared it, but honestly..
That's when I decided one room flats were better than shared houses.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 15, 2:57*pm, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

As reccomended by TMH, thanks Dave , Prochem B153 Urine Neutraliser

http://www.buycleaningsuppliesonline.co.uk/product/958

Takes a couple of applications and some time, days , but does work.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/01/13 14:57, dustie wrote:
[...]

When I bought this house I had similar as previous owner had 4 small
dogs, 2 of the bedrooms were `smelly` with urine I ripped out the
carpets, I washed the floorboards several times over a period of a
couple of weeks alternating between a mild bleach and then washing again
with soapy water (nice smelling washing up liquid) to eliminate the
corrosive effect of the bleach. I got rid of the smell after a week,
and the floors were spotless :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Jan 15, 2:57 pm, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Probably worth visiting a pet shop as they usually have odor
neutralising products. No idea how well they work.

I've found the "enzyme" type products worked really well for all kinds of
nastiness that comes out of various holes of a puppy. The ordinary "odour
neutralisers" tend to just mask the smell but the enzyme stuff actually
seems to destroy any solids/liquid that might be lurking. It can be
expensive, but worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 15, 3:22*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jan 15, 2:57 pm, dustie wrote:

[...]

As above. The expensive enzyme ones from the vet really do the job.

With regard to Prochem, I refer you to this UK.D-I-Y exchange from
2006:

David Lang: What you want is a product called Prochem Odour
Neutraliser. This is what pro carpet cleaners use in old peoples
homes.
Mary Fisher: So why do they still smell?

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...2275f9dcaad439

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The other folk to have a chat with are the council. They often have teams
that go around and get houses ready for new abusers, sorry, tenants and the
urinating junkie is quite a common problem.
I feel sure they know of sources for such chemicals.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
On Jan 15, 2:57 pm, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Probably worth visiting a pet shop as they usually have odor
neutralising products. No idea how well they work.

Philip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 14:57, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Solution-Stain-Odour-Remover/dp/B004HYU79O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1358273912&sr=1-1

http://tinyurl.com/akxjdg5

Also comes in 1.84 litres and smaller sizes.
I use a spray bottle for application.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains.

Can anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards

Personaly i'd use the ex lodgers face,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-15, dustie wrote:

Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

I don't have an answer, but I do have a weird question & another
strange anecdote.

1. Beer cans, paint cans, what kind?

2. Some friends of mine were about to move out of a flat in New York
City, & found a few used but reclosed cans of paint in one of the
cupboards so they decided to touch up a few places (where picture
hooks or pins had been, for example) before leaving. The rest of
the cans just had paint in them, but one had a turd (as well as
paint, I think). They didn't use that one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2013 14:57, dustie wrote:
Hi all

Have had an unfortunate experience recently with a lodger who moved out
of my house and, unbeknown to me at the time, left me several gallons of
his own urine in hundreds of cans, some of which spilt over and ruined
the carpet. All the cans are now gone and the carpet has been ripped out
so that I'm back to bare floorboards but, sadly, the stink remains. Can
anyone recommend what I should use to scrub the floorboards as I've been
advised that standard cleaning products wouldn't be enough..?

Cheers

Have you ever read "The Treatment" by Mo Hayder?

SteveW

Bad Smell tonkski[_2_] UK diy 9 December 17th 11 10:17 PM
WC Smell John UK diy 4 July 31st 07 08:56 AM
A/C smell m Home Repair 8 June 2nd 07 08:32 PM
Bad smell [email protected] UK diy 3 October 10th 06 08:57 AM
Gas Smell John UK diy 7 December 14th 05 06:08 PM