Junior Member

Default cracked inner window pane

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside! The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside, particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-13, carolyng wrote:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

Sure, your landlady is a moron.

maybe a cretin or mug also? ;)

Your DG is f*ck*d (it's not "common" - it
means the seal between the inner and outer panes has failed),

that is very common though I've never heard that the reason for an
inner pane to crack, can the OP get more info from whoever said that?

and this has
nothing to do with the inner pane breaking.

so having poo-pood the initial suggestion, you propose the cause of
that is.........?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 18:30, carolyng wrote:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

The inner pane breaking due to an impact on the outer one is quite
common. Very cold conditions can make it more likely due to higher
differential pressures inside and outside the sealed unit.

More detail he

http://www.thewindowman.co.uk/explode.htm

The moisture between the panes is a separate issue suggesting the
airtight seal between the panes had failed.

They are not that difficult or expensive to replace usually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 9:01 pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/01/2013 18:30, carolyng wrote:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

The inner pane breaking due to an impact on the outer one is quite
common. Very cold conditions can make it more likely due to higher
differential pressures inside and outside the sealed unit.

"room" to "outside" or within DG unit to outwith DG unit?

never seen this phenomenon so far.
The OP mentions condensation in the DG unit which to me would signify
that "the seal's gone" so "large" differences in pressure from within
the DG unit to outwith the DG unit would be unlikely?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 21:19, Jim K wrote:
[...]

the latter... if they are sealed at normal inside temperatures, then
when cold they tend to become convex on both sides.

never seen this phenomenon so far.
The OP mentions condensation in the DG unit which to me would signify
that "the seal's gone" so "large" differences in pressure from within
the DG unit to outwith the DG unit would be unlikely?

Yup - a poor seal will make failure less likely to happen from
temperature alone. Although its not likely to make much difference when
hit by something hard enough (unless the seal has a substantial hole
through it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 18:30, carolyng wrote:
late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

Point out that, were you lying, you would have made up a far more
plausible story.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2013 07:41, Nightjar wrote:
On 13/01/2013 18:30, carolyng wrote:
late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

Point out that, were you lying, you would have made up a far more
plausible story.

The damage (a stress crack) will also not look like anything which might
have caused by an impact on the inner pane, either (ie, something which
the OP might have done). When a fitter comes round to quote for the
repair he will be able to confirm this too.

The fact that the window had condensation inside means it was already
knackered and needed replacing, regardless of the crack.

I've had a double glazing unit crack on me like that before - happened
in front of my eyes - and that was not even with amy impact at all, the
pane just succumbed to stress caused by poor fitting.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

About what, stopping owls hitting your window?
Since they are probably looking down not forward I can only suggest you put
a pile of old cardboard boxes under the window to afford the next one a less
stunning fall to earth.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"carolyng" wrote in message

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

--
carolyng

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 18:30, carolyng wrote:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

FYI:

http://www.magicmum.com/phpBB/viewto...498&view=print

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
carolyng writes:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

Owls (and pigeons and some other birds) leave a very recognisable
and spectacular dust impact pattern on windows when they hit them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-14111152

Well used to this in my parents' house where birds often try to
fly though a pair of large corner windows.

You should be able to see this on your window. It doesn't wash off
in the rain (we kept some of the more spectacular ones for months).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2013 13:44, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
carolyng writes:

late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane of
glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl outside!
The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is condensation
between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this is a common
occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and outside,
particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the inner pane
can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the pane that it
would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My landlady has
accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise please?

Owls (and pigeons and some other birds) leave a very recognisable
and spectacular dust impact pattern on windows when they hit them.

I remember being in the front seat of a bus that splatted into a flock
of pigeons leaving one ghostly perfect pigeon imprint at eye level. It
is sort of like a waxy talkum powder for want of a better description.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-14111152

Well used to this in my parents' house where birds often try to
fly though a pair of large corner windows.

You should be able to see this on your window. It doesn't wash off
in the rain (we kept some of the more spectacular ones for months).

You need strong sidelighting to show it to best effect. Once had a green
woodpecker do it to one of our windows went with heck of a bang. The
woodpecker was briefly stunned for long enough to photograph it.
Fortunately they have very thick skulls and it flew off again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
carolyng writes:

[...]

So you use the same window cleaner as me then?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

carolyng wrote:
late at night heard a loud thud on bedroom window and the inside pane
of glass cracked. Got up to investigate found a semi stunned owl
outside! The windows are old (its a rented property) and there is
condensation between the outer and inner panes. Have been told this
is a common occurence when temperatures are differing from inside and
outside, particularly when condensation is between the panes, and the
inner pane can crack; with the added stress of an owl hitting the
pane that it would be more than enough to trigger such a thing. My
landlady has accused me of lying which I'm not! Can anyone advise
please?

Get a new landlady and take the owl to the vet

HTH